Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

22r(e)

Old 02-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
22r(e)

Hey guys. I'm not really familiar with the 22R engine even though we owned one for about 10 years, it never broke down for me to tinker with it. Now i'm looking to get a early 90's pickup for a daily driver and from what I've read, the 22R's are pretty solid engines. When looking upon craigslist and local papers, there seem to be a handful of these trucks with the 22R's with "blown headgaskets". From what I've read so far, the only thing causing the blown gaskets are the chain guides failing and the chain eats away at the timing cover thus mixing the oil and coolant. Is there anything else I should be aware about?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
03Taco4x4 is on a distinguished road
03Taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
i had a 89 22re with a "blown headgasket" too a while back. the turned into milling the head and block. but that was just my experience. so if you do get one with a bad gasket when you pull the head make sure you toss a strait edge on the head and block. other than that the two 22re's that i had never gave me any problem except they are underpowered
Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
the 22re is the efi version of the 22r. Not much experience tinkering on the 22re but they are super cheap to fix. My buddy just had his headgasket go out at 182k and a complete rebuilt long block with 2yr warranty unlimited mile warranty was only $1400 installed.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I know they are relatively cheaper to fix. I can get a long block for under a grand and install it myself but i wanted this to be a budget daily driver so I thought it would be cheaper to rebuild. I'm thinking the trucks i've seen out there with blown head gasket were from neglect not replacing the timing chain and guides when at the interval and that's why the chain or guides failed to cause the overheating meaning there is probably more damage than just the timing chain cover and head gaskets. I know these engines are interference engines and timing chains skipping can cause internal damage.