Notices

t100 3.4 VS Toyo truck 3.0?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Proud Taco *****
RibosomalRob is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
RibosomalRob's Tacoma Gallery
Question t100 3.4 VS Toyo truck 3.0?

Helloooo TW community!...I am planning on selling/trading my f150 and I am considering a '95+ t100 with the 3.4l or a 89+ pick-up with the 3.0l(both 4x4)

Here's what I know:

-the 3.0 v6 is considered inferior to the 3.4 in many ways including power, MPG's, and in some ways reliability....
-the t100 4x4 is around 4,000 lbs, and is probably underpowered with anything but the 3.4l

Here's where I want some opinions:

-Which would be the better combination; an extended cab 4x4 pick-up with the 3.0 or a t100 4x4 extended cab with the 3.4? I plan on buying a quad and hauling it in the back of the truck so I need decent engine power. I also plan on doing some mild to moderate off-roading with the truck (mostly mudding- no rock climbing or under water adventures).

*any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Robert
Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
go with the T. i had a '95 w/3.4 liter and it had enough ass to haul my 660 grizzly or whatever else i could fit in the bed around. from what i know the 3.0s had some head issues...don't know much about it though. 3.4 in a t100 won't win you a lot of races, but its more than enough for hauling/mild wheeling. i wish i coulda kept mine, but she had to go when the new taco came home.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
If I had to pick between the two all things equal I would go with the T100.

I had a 95 3.0 4WD xcab.
Though the truck never failed once in 200k (made in 100% in japan/no head gasket issues) & is still remarkably driving today, it still has a small bed & no power to speak of.

Mine did ok towing our snowmobile trailer in around the hills of Vermont. We only a couple of times put a sled in the bed.
It was also meticulously maintained & a 5 spd manual fwiw.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Proud Taco *****
thanks for the replies!....at this point I am leaning toward the T100. I plan on getting a Honda Rincon 650 so its pretty big and I doubt it would even fit in a regular sized pickup bed. (does anyone know if an adult sized quad would fit in the back of a regular pickup? - I've searched and searched for a picture but have never found one.)......I guess I really need to find one to test drive; that will be the only way I can make a definitive decision.

Hey RCBS, was your T100 a manual or automatic transmission?

Thanks!

-Robert
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
^ The Rincon is a beastly 4wheeler. A foreman maybe could fit...that thing is massive tho. You may need a trailer.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Go for the t100, its more roomy than the toyota truck. The 3.4 is a Pretty reliable motor. and the T100 looks bitchin built.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Proud Taco *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
^ The Rincon is a beastly 4wheeler. A foreman maybe could fit...that thing is massive tho. You may need a trailer.
Yea the Rincon's huge. Its 84" long X 46" wide with a 51" wheelbase....And, I have measurement of the T100 xcab's bed legnth which is 75" so it would be a really tight squeeze.

Although I'm not sure if its 75" to, or including, the tailgate....
Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Proud Taco *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
the T100 looks bitchin built.

quite true =D
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful. The 3.4 sill had head issues too. Its when they started with graphite head gaskets. Not that the 3.0 is any better. I've had head problems with my 3.0, but I've pulled some heavy stuff with it too.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
Proud Taco *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude59 View Post
Be careful. The 3.4 sill had head issues too. Its when they started with graphite head gaskets. Not that the 3.0 is any better. I've had head problems with my 3.0, but I've pulled some heavy stuff with it too.
huh. I didnt know that....although I guess if you push any engine too hard you will run into issues. I don't plan on hauling anything heavier than my quad every once in a while so hopefully it will be alright. I guess I'll have to try to find a t100 that hasn't been too weighted down....that'll be easy

Robert
Old 03-30-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibosomalRob View Post
thanks for the replies!....at this point I am leaning toward the T100. I plan on getting a Honda Rincon 650 so its pretty big and I doubt it would even fit in a regular sized pickup bed. (does anyone know if an adult sized quad would fit in the back of a regular pickup? - I've searched and searched for a picture but have never found one.)......I guess I really need to find one to test drive; that will be the only way I can make a definitive decision.

Hey RCBS, was your T100 a manual or automatic transmission?

Thanks!

-Robert
auto...no issues with tranny @ 189,000 when i sold it. i had the reg. cab with 8ft bed DX 4x4 model. had a toolbox back there and the grizzly still fit with the gate up...longbed FTW.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
go with the T. i had a '95 w/3.4 liter and it had enough ass to haul my 660 grizzly or whatever else i could fit in the bed around. from what i know the 3.0s had some head issues...don't know much about it though. 3.4 in a t100 won't win you a lot of races, but its more than enough for hauling/mild wheeling. i wish i coulda kept mine, but she had to go when the new taco came home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
If I had to pick between the two all things equal I would go with the T100.

I had a 95 3.0 4WD xcab.
Though the truck never failed once in 200k (made in 100% in japan/no head gasket issues) & is still remarkably driving today, it still has a small bed & no power to speak of.

Mine did ok towing our snowmobile trailer in around the hills of Vermont. We only a couple of times put a sled in the bed.
It was also meticulously maintained & a 5 spd manual fwiw.
Good luck with your purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Go for the t100, its more roomy than the toyota truck. The 3.4 is a Pretty reliable motor. and the T100 looks bitchin built.

^^^^^

Spot on

There is a lot of aftermarket support for the 3.4l vs. the 3.0l.