Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

what do you think?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
what do you think?

Hey guys, i'm thinking about this for a beater truck that i can trash. it comes with a 2nd 4runner that i assume doesn't run and is just for parts. let me know what you think

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=100
Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
looks ok..... and if the other one also runs(im also assuming it doesn't), then that would be a good deal
Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
the more i think about it the less likely i am to get it, but i'd like to consider a beat up rig to bang up on the trails so i dont have to worry about my truck. something old and cheap i dont have to worry about. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Are you looking for just Toyotas? You could find Ford Rangers really cheap
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #5

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
Are you looking for just Toyotas? You could find Ford Rangers really cheap
doesn't have to be toyota but there is no way i would ever buy a ranger for any reason. i'm looking at toyota pickups and 4 runners. love land cruisers but they arent cheap. looking at some nissans. I like range rovers, they are capable but i think they have constant problems, but they are cheap now. nothing domestic.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
Hey guys, i'm thinking about this for a beater truck that i can trash. it comes with a 2nd 4runner that i assume doesn't run and is just for parts. let me know what you think

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=100
i have been looking for one also
Old 04-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #7

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
i have been looking for one also
yeah, you saw how much i loved the 4runners we saw out on the trails. i loved the one the redneck chicks drove but i like the 1st gens better. i'd love to get one and just trash the hell out of it
Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
ND...i think you can probably find a better deal out there...get on some of the other big offroad sites and their local chapters...people are selling rigs pretty regularly...and you could prob find something a little more built or a little better shape for that money

as far as buying a beater truck goes though...id stick with toyota...their parts on the old school stuff just seems to be a lot tougher than some other brands (jeep)
Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
offer him $1000 without the other 4runner
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
here ya go nate.....http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/car/661620164.html
Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't buy anything unless you went to look at it and drive it first.

Good idea in looking for a trail rig - you won't be disappointed and will save that nice Tacoma for daily duties.

One word for ya.... Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Je ep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep ....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep.. ..Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....

(laugh) Just kidding.... What's your budget?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post

as far as buying a beater truck goes though...id stick with toyota...their parts on the old school stuff just seems to be a lot tougher than some other brands (jeep)
I've had a couple jeeps (first one was totalled on highway) for 7 years. Both of them were more reliable and on the trails more than the folks with older toyotas. Seems those toyotas are always fighting with rust issues & parts falling apart. Either that, or these people jsut don't know how to build/fix them properly.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #14

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
ND...i think you can probably find a better deal out there...get on some of the other big offroad sites and their local chapters...people are selling rigs pretty regularly...and you could prob find something a little more built or a little better shape for that money

yeah, i've decided against it. i would go look at it if it were close but i am not gonna drive to GA for something i prolly wont even buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
offer him $1000 without the other 4runner
i thought about that, i would if i were gonna go ahead but i've decided not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
seems a little high for a regular cab with that many miles doesnt it? or is that what they go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I wouldn't buy anything unless you went to look at it and drive it first.

Good idea in looking for a trail rig - you won't be disappointed and will save that nice Tacoma for daily duties.

One word for ya.... Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Je ep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep ....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep.. ..Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....Jeep....

(laugh) Just kidding.... What's your budget?
i'm not bashing jeeps, i'm just not a huge fan. plus i'd rather have something that stands out a little more, and i've always loved old toyotas. right now i dont have a budget. i need to wait at least a good 4 months before i make a stupid purchase like that, but when i do i'd like to buy something dirt cheap and fix it up. preferably something with alot of body damage and maybe a blown engine. how are range rovers? i'd rather not have a V8 but they are really cheap. i haven't heard much about htem at all but from the little i have heard it sounds like they are capable but have alot of mechanical issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I've had a couple jeeps (first one was totalled on highway) for 7 years. Both of them were more reliable and on the trails more than the folks with older toyotas. Seems those toyotas are always fighting with rust issues & parts falling apart. Either that, or these people jsut don't know how to build/fix them properly.
i though jeeps were constantly busted? you've even mentioned their lack or reliability before. I understand that older Toyotas are great as long as they aren't rusted
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'm not bashing jeeps, i'm just not a huge fan. plus i'd rather have something that stands out a little more, and i've always loved old toyotas. right now i dont have a budget. i need to wait at least a good 4 months before i make a stupid purchase like that, but when i do i'd like to buy something dirt cheap and fix it up. preferably something with alot of body damage and maybe a blown engine. how are range rovers? i'd rather not have a V8 but they are really cheap. i haven't heard much about htem at all but from the little i have heard it sounds like they are capable but have alot of mechanical issues.

i though jeeps were constantly busted? you've even mentioned their lack or reliability before. I understand that older Toyotas are great as long as they aren't rusted
Be careful when you buy a really old beater-upper for dirt cheap. It might bite you in the ass later on. I've seen guys buy cheap rigs and put all sorts of time & money into them only to discover a few years later....their frames are falling apart due to rust damage and they've had to buy another rig and start all over again. You're better off putting forth the extra money upfront and getting something newer with less rust....

Don't go with a Range Rover.... expensive to fix, parts not as available, and probably not nearly as supported in the aftermarket world.

Jeeps do not have the same reliability as Toyota's -that is true. However....when you're talking about trail rigs and old beater-upper rigs, they all have their issues depending on where they've been and how they've been maintained. Not to mention - the amount of work people put into them, rebuilding this, rebuilding that, rust factor, experience/budget factor, and what and how people build them.

Now...on my jeep... I've upgraded everything that is the weak link on the jeeps (I put D44's in). Jeeps axles are piss poor. Toyota axles are strong. I wanted a solid front axle vehicle with a v6 engine - and Toyota doesn't have such an animal. That was 7 years ago and I was inexperienced with solid axle swaps. I don't beat on my stuff either....and I watch for problems and I maintain it well.

If you gotta have a Toy....then I would highly recommend getting a newer 90's truck. The newer the better to avoid rust issues. Do a solid axle swap...and you'll be golden! There are tons of people who've done it and can help you!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response Janster, i guess i'll have to save up and keep my eye out for a newer taco or 4runner (a mid 90's land cruiser if i inherit some money ). i need to keep my eyes open for something with some body damage. i plan on destroying the body anyway so i might as well find one thats already messed up and save some green. Thanks for the input, you always have something informative to add to the conversation
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the response Janster, i guess i'll have to save up and keep my eye out for a newer taco or 4runner (a mid 90's land cruiser if i inherit some money ). i need to keep my eyes open for something with some body damage. i plan on destroying the body anyway so i might as well find one thats already messed up and save some green. Thanks for the input, you always have something informative to add to the conversation
Thanks!
Good thoughts..... who cares what it looks like as long as its mechanically strong and stout (so to speak). You wanna be safe out there. Besides - the build process is part of the fun and the rewards are getting on the trails and playing with it.

There's a reason why I come here...You & everyone else have lots of good suggestions/oppinions too. I'm a newbie when it comes to my 07.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.yotatech.com/f108/built-9...damage-144014/
Old 04-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/car/662089973.html

that is definately u nate...no price though...lol