1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to make a deal

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by bagster, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Apr 9, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    bagster

bagster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just got back the dealer and have decided on a new tacoma. I have never owned a Toyota before, so I can't claim official membership in the board yet.
    The vehicle I'm interested in has a sticker price of 26,500. My question is, how much should I offer? It's an access cab, V6 Prerunner 2wd w/automatic trans.

2. Apr 9, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    id say just haggle with him, if they wont come down on price maybe get them to throw some stuff on like a bed mat or some free oil changes or maybe any accessories you may be lookin for like a roof rack or bug deflector or maybe even a bed extender.. just a suggestion

im not very good for making deals either

3. Apr 9, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    Kmoney

Kmoney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Bend, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD OR
    White dog
    Good luck on the dealing, it's a great feeling updating your TW profile with all the info on your new truck, I sure as shit had a good time with it! :D

4. Apr 9, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    stro908

stro908 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    Hey man,
    I am in the Car business (I sell VW) but negotiations are all the same! Heres my prespective as a salesman... When I have a customer come in that is plesant to deal with and is honest with me, I would MUCH rather not haggle wtih them. I am VERY straight forward with customers and even then, they still think I am BS'ing them. I will show them EXACTLY what I am making on the car. They then go out and shop, meet a LOT of skeezy salesman that actually ARE trying to rip them off, then they realize I was being straight wtih them. From my eperience, people would rather let the salesman make a little profit ($500 over invoice is fair) and be treated right. The dealers that treat people like crap are the ones that drop their pants. That is ALL they have. They dont know how to treat people right, so they HAVE to give everything away. Pay a guy you are comfortable wtih, and who will take care of you a little more. Its worth it...trust me. Just as in everything else you buy, "you get what you pay for"

My advice is this;
    If you like the salesman and you think he is treating you right, ask him to give you his best number (be honest wtih him). Tell him you expect him to make a few hundred dollars (this takes down the barrier between you and him). I know its hard, but try to find 2 reputable dealers and get a quote from the second one as well. If they are close in price, go with who you feel will take care of you.

I know I am being a bit repetitive, but I am big on service. I dont just say this as a salesperson. When I go to buy somthing, I truly will pay a few dollars more for good service. Ask what the dealer has to offer; IE: Loaner cars, car wash, etc... maybe this is enough for you to make the decision on what dealer to go with.

my 2 cents.
    let me know if you have any questions.

btw. I have been in the same dealership for 4 years. So, I am not a fly by night! There are GOOD "car salesmen" out there people! lol

I also see that you are in the Army. I am not sure how other dealers work, but if I know someone is in the Military or is a Veteran, I will give them everything for "cost". Invoice and the buy rate (what the dealer is buying the financing rate at) for financing.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions. I can make some calls to a toyota store to see what incentives are available (although they vary by region). Please dont hesitate.

Thank you for your service.

5. Apr 9, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    stro908

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    Also, when I said, "500 over invoice" I ment 500 total profit, including incentives. You need to know what they are. Dont be a dick to the salesman. That just creates tention and you waste your time. If you time is valuable, and I am sure it is, you are wasting YOUR time as well. I dont understand people who spend 10 hours buying a car to save a few hundred dollars. how much money could you have made in the time it took you to buy a car...be realistic.

Depending on the salesman pay plan, if he (the dealer) is making a $500- gross profit, he is getting a "flat commision" anyway. Your car is just another unit towards the next bonus level.

6. Apr 9, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

These two websites need to be your bibles. READ THEM BOTH:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

http://fightingchance.com/

The fighting chance packet is excellent and a bargain for the price. There is no better power than going into a dealership and being able to tell the dealer the actual invoice price for every accessory and option, factory holdback, etc...once you let them know that YOU know what it cost them to put the car on their lot and how much profit their offer to you is getting them, you can pretty much define the terms of the deal...they'll either meet it or you can walk away. SOME dealer will meet your terms, as long as they're reasonable (fair profit).

I used this method to get my Taco, stickered 38,700 out the door, down to 34,500 out the door. The dealer made roughly 7% profit on this deal, and I saved about 12% off sticker. I consider anything between 3 and 10% fair, depending on how generous you are willing to be and what you feel they deserve. The dealership I bought from gave me great service with no fuckaround tricks, so I didn't try to haggle lower than their offer.

Just remember three things above all else:

1) DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
    2) NEVER make an offer to them...make them make offers to you.
    3) YOU ARE IN CONTROL. It's much easier to find someone to sell you a vehicle than someone who wants to buy one...especially in today's economy.

7. Apr 9, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    Duck760

Duck760 The Duck

Member:
    I never thought of it likethat but it makes since I like your thinking

8. Apr 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    Brikill

Brikill Member

Member:
    Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker on these forums, even before I bought my Taco 2 months ago, but I wanted to share my recent experience so maybe you can use the same strategy. I went in with the mentallity that I didn't need a new vehicle, my last one (1999 Rav 4) was starting to wear out on me but with a little money I could have gotten another couple of years out of it. Also I had read an article on Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html) that I felt gave some really good insight about sales tactics.

Before I went into the dealer I knew about how much I was willing to pay and at what rate I wanted to finance so I broke it down into monthly payments. I know alot of people will tell you this is the biggest screw ups you can make but if you know the numbers you can get a good deal. I got a dbl cab sport for just under $22k after rebates. Sticker was around $28k.

Also if you don't think you are getting a good deal remember you can leave at any time. I had to do this due to the finance guy not coming close to price the salesman and I agreed to, so I left for about 4 hrs and came back to get my check I had written for a downpayment. After I came back they eventually let me have it for the price I wanted. Whole process took about 7 hrs total. Good Luck! :D

9. Apr 9, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Offer invoice.....

And if they don't take it, then get in your car and drive home.

Chances are, they might call you by the end of the day or the next day when they've had time to think about it and want the sale.

You can always go to different dealerships to have them bargain for your business.

10. Apr 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    stro908

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    I believe the transaction and negotians are what you make it. Sounds like everyone on here deals with some crappy dealers! Not suprising, most dealers do suck, makes my job easier...

11. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.

I like Jared's attitude.
    I will add that you should go on the Toyota web site and look at the inventory in your area. This will give you all the specifics of the vehicle you are looking for including specific vin's and what they are asking for the particular rig. This is a very good starting point for negotiations.
    If you have a Costco membership you can also go through them and get the no dicker price. Frequently you can take that to the reputable sales man Jared and use that as a starting point.
    He can and usually will be able to beat it by some small amount. Usually enough to make you feel you are getting a relatively good deal. One that will satisfy you while at the same time leaving him some dignity...
    good luck. Ken

12. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    stro908

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    Thanks Tuckr... even thought im young (29 yo) im kinda "old school" with my mentality of good customer service. It has proven to be successful for me and it is naturally how I am, no BS.

"people know the price of everything and the VALUE of nothing"

13. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Your welcome.
    Ya, there seems to be some changing of the guard going on at car dealerships. At least in my experience the last couple of times the salesman was a bit younger, and while hungry for a sale wasn't quite the high pressure, ass hole I have dealt with in the past. Likely it has something to do with the internet and the amount of information customers come in with at the start of a deal. Many know what they want and appreciate someone there to assist them and not sell them a vehicle.
    Just my thoughts. Ken

14. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Dealers make money even below invoice, they get X number of free cars a month based on the amount they sell (Info from someone who owns multiple dealership) Paying Invoice doesn't mean shit anymore.

carsdirect.com and that price out for a couple guys to beat and tell them they have this color I like, setup in stock etc...up against each other can you make me like your truck ? Big cities have lower prices period because they move more cars. I bought my truck at "X" dealer but take for service at "Y" and "z" doesn't matter anymore unless you find someone you like, but chance are they're gone in a couple years anymore. Thus why we call them Stealerships.

15. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    stro908

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    No one goes to work for free. I make no bones about making money. I know what you guys are saying about salesmen lying about how much they (or the dealer make) on holdback. if everyone went into whatever business "you" work for and expect to get everything for cost, where would the economy be? I realize I look biased, being in the biz., but look at it from a pure business stand point.
    And yes, I do realize that a lot of salesmen are liars, but so are most buyers.

16. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    it doesn't matter how good of a deal you get...you are still getting screwed...so just bend over and take it like a man...rofl

17. Apr 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    Not sure where your located but you can try costco car buying, they have a set price over invoice that you pay, and your still eligible for all the deal incentives. When buying my wifes camry last year no one would even come close to the price costco offered us. My mom bought a Lexus a few months ago thru the costco deal and the sales person when she got to the dealer thought there was some sort of mistake and made her come back when the GM was there b/c he said the price was way too low and they wouldn't sell a car for that price. Think she got a few free accessories for the run around and a great price.

18. Apr 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    bagster

bagster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks everyone for the prompt and excellent answers. I do have one more question. If you intend to pay for the vehicle (instead of financing) , are you better off letting the salesman know this up front, or should you wait until the deal is made?

19. Apr 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:

If it were me... I would probably make the best deal I can with the salesman.
    At or near the end of negotiations I would ask him outright what's the best I can do for cash. Or say, you already have your financing set with someone else, you could lead him to believe that you don't care what interest you are gonna have to pay but you want the absolute best/lowest price. He might negotiate on the premise that the dealership will make more money off the financing and drop the price more knowing this.

You also can do alot of negotiating directly with their internet sales director. I did this. At the same time I negotiated with them, I was also negotiating with another dealership and had Costco pricing in hand for at least one of the vehicles I was dealing on.
    In the end the first dealer I was working with didn't wasn't on the Costco members list but made me a deal that was about 800 bucks lower for the exact same equipped truck as I wanted. Then on top of that they went down the road 30 miles to pick up the color of the truck I wanted as well. They just took their comparably equipped truck down and traded it with the other dealership. In the end, just work the deal till your satisfied.
    Oh, and if you decide to purchase Toyota does have a pretty reasonable extended warranty. Might be worth purchasing with some of the glitches we have seen on the newer trucks. This too can be negotiated.

Good luck Ken

20. Apr 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    stro908

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    Ken,
    All good advice. However, sometimes (usually) if you pay cash, the dealer has factory "dealer cash" from the manufacture if you DO NOT use special finance rates (if available). So, yes, I would let them know you have you "own financing" set up. Check Toyotas site to see if they have special finance offers on the Truck your looking at. IF they do, there is a good chance they have extra incentive money to work with.
    DONT take the etch policy. Really not worth it.

bagster,
    What state are you in? I can try to find out what incentives are available currently.

Products Discussed in

To Top