LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Toyota tacoma 2wd or tundra 4x4

Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Taco Rookie
lepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
lepedog23's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lepedog23
Toyota tacoma 2wd or tundra 4x4

hey guys i bought a 2010 tacoma 2wd i messed up in getting it 2wd. so now i want a 4x4, i currently pay 484 a month for 84 so im going to be paying about 40k in 7 years, if i get a 0% interest tundra 4x4 double cab, my payments will be 630 for 60 months and itll be about 37k. so ill end up saving cash and getting a 4x4. do you guys think its a good idea to go with the tundra? i love my tacoma but i need a 4x4 tired on sitting in the back of my friends truck when we offroad. thanks for looking.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
why don't you get a Tacoma 4x4?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Are you trading in your prerunner?
If you do, you will roll the loss into the tundra & possibly be upside down loan wise. Thgat and gas prices going up would not be my choice but you have to like what you drive.
Maybe some of the guys here can give you some pointers on how to fix up your rig for wheelin. Best of luck in what you do.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
No4X4Here is on a distinguished road
Army: Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, 1st AD, 123rd battalion, Delta Company
Name: John
No4X4Here's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to No4X4Here
Smile No worries....

I have thought to myself a thousand times; i should have got 4x4, quad cab, trd, etc...but I love my taco, 2wd, access cab, 4.0, and believe it or not I have gotten out of some pretty hairy situations involving mud, hills and snow, thanks to some pretty sick tires, of course you cant compare it to 4x4, but you cant beat the tacomas stock ground clearance, especially with 265/75's on stock alloys. hey its all i can do for now on my budget!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
shit man if they make it work for you go for it!!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Taco Rookie
lepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud of

i have the 2wd tacoma dc on non trd suspension. i love it. but i also use my truck for long drives on weekends with my family. and i cant sit people in back comfortably due 2 small rear space. ill end up saving about 3k if i get the tundra 4x4. but im just unsure of the tundra since i know tacomas are built like tanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Taco Rookie

630 a month is including 6k upside down on my taco. 630 a month for 60 months on 0% interest. so i end up getting the space i need and a 4x4 but still unsure about the tundra, do you guys know if its a great truck like the tacoma?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Do you need 4x4 though? You'll end up paying a lot more for gas in a 4x4 Tundra. Why not get a TRD 4x2 Tundra? Unless you're up in the mountains every weekend in the winter, and you're not doing any serious off-roading, you don't a 4x4 in SoCal.

I don't see anybody doing serious off-roading in a Tundra anyways...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Taco Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4X4Here View Post
I have thought to myself a thousand times; i should have got 4x4, quad cab, trd, etc...but I love my taco, 2wd, access cab, 4.0, and believe it or not I have gotten out of some pretty hairy situations involving mud, hills and snow, thanks to some pretty sick tires, of course you cant compare it to 4x4, but you cant beat the tacomas stock ground clearance, especially with 265/75's on stock alloys. hey its all i can do for now on my budget!
i have non trd suspension so my tires are 245/75/16....
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Taco Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Do you need 4x4 though? You'll end up paying a lot more for gas in a 4x4 Tundra. Why not get a TRD 4x2 Tundra? Unless you're up in the mountains every weekend in the winter, and you're not doing any serious off-roading, you don't a 4x4 in SoCal.

i go with my friends to azusa and offroad there but all i have is a quad and most of the time im in the back seat when they're driving their 4x4 trucks.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Do trips to Azusa justify a 4x4 vehicle with below average gas mileage?

Just things to consider.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Taco Rookie

Quote:
Do trips to Azusa justify a 4x4 vehicle with below average gas mileage?

Just things to consider.

true... but im thinking i should have got the 4x4 tacoma when they were 0% when i bought mine but trying to save 35 bucks a month i went with the 2wd. if i get it now its 3.9% so ill end up paying for in 5 years for a 4x4 tacoma than a 4x4 tundra. i only drive 1 mile to work so i only spend about 10 bucks a week to work in the taco. itll probably be 15 a week in the tundra. and i havent really seen any lifted tundras so thats why im unsure of it.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

i say if you want a 4x4 go for it! when i was shopping for my truck the salesmen always ask well do you really need a 4x4? and i said no i really want a 4x4! the truck i wanted was hard to find (05+4x4 TRD offroad)
Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
No4X4Here is on a distinguished road
Army: Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, 1st AD, 123rd battalion, Delta Company
Name: John
No4X4Here's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to No4X4Here
well, with 265/75's, i get a bitchin stance, and they are literally about an inch away from the fenders, and I dont think wheels spacers will help with a bigger tires, plus they arent very good for your spindles (extra stress). the stock alloys will handle a 280/75 i think, if i heard right
Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Just as an FYI, the new Tundras are freaking huge. Personally, i feel the 2nd gen Tacomas are big too. 1st gens = perfect size for offroading. So, just as an FYI, a Tundra will be extremely challenging if you plan on wheeling it...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the tundra. They are just as much of atank as the tacomas.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #17
Taco Rookie

damn no im confused on whether to go for it. so because i have non trd suspension i cant use 265/75? maybe ill keep my tacoma and just buy a weekend toy like a wrangler for like 1500 bucks. i have some 20" moto metal rims that fit my tacoma, i was thinking about 265/50/20 all terrain kumhos. what do you guys think? i live on a small street and i have a hard time getting out with the tacoma, i cant imagine how it will be with the tundra dc. ill have to go short bed which is probably same length as my tacoma longbed.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
You are better off converting what you have to a 4x4, add the conversion cost against the 6k you will be losing at trade in, getting a Tundra makes no sense when gas prices are on the rise. Tundra is not nearly as good offroad.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #19

It's also very easy to upgrade your suspension...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
Taco Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
You are better off converting what you have to a 4x4, add the conversion cost against the 6k you will be losing at trade in, getting a Tundra makes no sense when gas prices are on the rise. Tundra is not nearly as good offroad.

how can i convert my 2wd tacoma to 4x4