1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the point?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by DEEVON911, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I'm just wondering what really is the point to a prerunner? I guess besides looks. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I see alot of people with them on here. But I see some who have them lifted and big tires but are the really off-road capable? I have seen some with the TRD Off-road stickers too. Why not just spend the extra money and get 4 wheel drive? Again not trying to offend anyone, just curious. :rolleyes:

2. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    Waikoloa Tacoma

Waikoloa Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    At the beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner DC TRD OR
    Good question. For us it was not needing the 4wd, no snow or ice, but needing the extra ground clearance to get to out of the way places and through sand. The TRD Off road gives you the locking rear diff. The weight savings of about 350 pounds helps with the gas mileage also. We everage 20 mpg city/highway combo.

3. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Correct me if I am wrong but I have seen Prerunners that have the TRD stickers on them that came from the dealer. I have seen TRD Sport stickers on Prerunners. As for me I did not need a 4x4. But my dream was to own a Prerunner and mod it out. And finnally after 10 years I am doin my dream

4. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
  5. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    OMG, not again....there have been countless threads about this. if you dont want a 2wd dont get one. end of the fucking story.

Thread Closed

6. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    only_K

only_K Future Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Currently searching for dream truck...
    TBD
    I think my prerunner has seen more off roading than many of my friends that do own a 4x4. Also i have no reason for a 4x4. There isn't any snow or anything like that where i live. I love Tacomas and a Prerunner is just enough for me.

7. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    No reason to be a dick about it. If you don't like the thread, then don't answer it.

8. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    What type of off roading do you do in it? Mud/Rocks? I need the 4 wheel drive cause of snow, but I think I would be nervous in sand with out it.

9. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Unfortunately Dave some people on here for so long have seen just about everything. Some overreact to anything they don't want to see any more of. Your doing fine. Don't sweat the small things in life.
    While I don't own a prerunner, several reasons might be expected for ownership. Many really don't need 4x's but like the look of the truck. They know they can go many places that don't require 4x. They want to have a more economical rig. Lighter weight means faster down the fire roads. Cost of purchase of 4x. Additional maintenance of 4x. Mods can be less expensive as they don't have a front drive train to mess with. The list likely goes on, but in the end it's just a preference.
    Just my thoughts. Ken

10. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Pretty much all of the trophy trucks are 2wd. Prerunners rock in the desert because they're lighter and lack the front drivetrain parts to bind and snap.

This topic has been covered to death.

As far as the "don't be a dick about it" thing, you started off by calling many people's trucks useless. Step back a bit and gain a little perspective.

11. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I dont need 4x4 to go to the mall.

12. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Exactly what Ken said. Lots of us prerunner guys don't need 4x4, that's my reasoning. And yes you can get the TRD packages as prerunners, even the Offroad edition. I personally love the look of my TRD Sport prerunner, and need the payload and clearance for when I go dirtbiking and hauling hay/horse feed, instead of just getting a base model. Additionally, there are more creature comforts offered in the TRD models, which is another reason.

Keason- I know how you feel man, but I don't think he's coming off the way you think he is. Let's try and keep this thread from going in that direction, just in case :rolleyes:

13. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    I live in San Diego and i dont wheel a bunch. Why spend the extra money? And the little wheeling i've done, ive done damn well without 4x4. I dont want a short truck either.. so.. tada. My truck is amazing, and very capable without 4x4.

14. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:

Not calling anyone's truck useless, I understand why people have 2WD, Just did'nt understand the prerunner so much, besides looks. Also did'nt understand how people could really off road that much with 2wd.

Thank you to all the good responces. Now I get why some people would want it. :thumbsup:

15. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    me and my prerunner:

[​IMG]

We do great out there

16. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Also I knew guy, he passed away, but he had a regular cab Ford F-150 2wd. Now he lived in Pymatunning, PA. If your not familiar its maybe 30 miles south of lake Erie. Its above the snow belt so they get alot of snow! I don't know how he did it, but the man drove that truck with nothing in the bed, all season tires in feet of snow on dirt roads! I'll never know how he did it and I watched him do multi times. I'm not that good with 4wd let alone do that with 2. So I know people are good with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top