Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

What's the point?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
What's the point?

I'm just wondering what really is the point to a prerunner? I guess besides looks. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I see alot of people with them on here. But I see some who have them lifted and big tires but are the really off-road capable? I have seen some with the TRD Off-road stickers too. Why not just spend the extra money and get 4 wheel drive? Again not trying to offend anyone, just curious.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Good question. For us it was not needing the 4wd, no snow or ice, but needing the extra ground clearance to get to out of the way places and through sand. The TRD Off road gives you the locking rear diff. The weight savings of about 350 pounds helps with the gas mileage also. We everage 20 mpg city/highway combo.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Correct me if I am wrong but I have seen Prerunners that have the TRD stickers on them that came from the dealer. I have seen TRD Sport stickers on Prerunners. As for me I did not need a 4x4. But my dream was to own a Prerunner and mod it out. And finnally after 10 years I am doin my dream
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
OMG, not again....there have been countless threads about this. if you dont want a 2wd dont get one. end of the fucking story.

Thread Closed
Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

Name: Kevin
only_K's Tacoma Gallery
I think my prerunner has seen more off roading than many of my friends that do own a 4x4. Also i have no reason for a 4x4. There isn't any snow or anything like that where i live. I love Tacomas and a Prerunner is just enough for me.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
OMG, not again....there have been countless threads about this. if you dont want a 2wd dont get one. end of the fucking story.

Thread Closed
No reason to be a dick about it. If you don't like the thread, then don't answer it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_K View Post
I think my prerunner has seen more off roading than many of my friends that do own a 4x4. Also i have no reason for a 4x4. There isn't any snow or anything like that where i live. I love Tacomas and a Prerunner is just enough for me.
What type of off roading do you do in it? Mud/Rocks? I need the 4 wheel drive cause of snow, but I think I would be nervous in sand with out it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
No reason to be a dick about it. If you don't like the thread, then don't answer it.
Unfortunately Dave some people on here for so long have seen just about everything. Some overreact to anything they don't want to see any more of. Your doing fine. Don't sweat the small things in life.
While I don't own a prerunner, several reasons might be expected for ownership. Many really don't need 4x's but like the look of the truck. They know they can go many places that don't require 4x. They want to have a more economical rig. Lighter weight means faster down the fire roads. Cost of purchase of 4x. Additional maintenance of 4x. Mods can be less expensive as they don't have a front drive train to mess with. The list likely goes on, but in the end it's just a preference.
Just my thoughts. Ken
Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much all of the trophy trucks are 2wd. Prerunners rock in the desert because they're lighter and lack the front drivetrain parts to bind and snap.

This topic has been covered to death.

As far as the "don't be a dick about it" thing, you started off by calling many people's trucks useless. Step back a bit and gain a little perspective.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I dont need 4x4 to go to the mall.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly what Ken said. Lots of us prerunner guys don't need 4x4, that's my reasoning. And yes you can get the TRD packages as prerunners, even the Offroad edition. I personally love the look of my TRD Sport prerunner, and need the payload and clearance for when I go dirtbiking and hauling hay/horse feed, instead of just getting a base model. Additionally, there are more creature comforts offered in the TRD models, which is another reason.

Keason- I know how you feel man, but I don't think he's coming off the way you think he is. Let's try and keep this thread from going in that direction, just in case
Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
I live in San Diego and i dont wheel a bunch. Why spend the extra money? And the little wheeling i've done, ive done damn well without 4x4. I dont want a short truck either.. so.. tada. My truck is amazing, and very capable without 4x4.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Pretty much all of the trophy trucks are 2wd. Prerunners rock in the desert because they're lighter and lack the front drivetrain parts to bind and snap.

This topic has been covered to death.

As far as the "don't be a dick about it" thing, you started off by calling many people's trucks useless. Step back a bit and gain a little perspective.

Not calling anyone's truck useless, I understand why people have 2WD, Just did'nt understand the prerunner so much, besides looks. Also did'nt understand how people could really off road that much with 2wd.

Thank you to all the good responces. Now I get why some people would want it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #16

Also I knew guy, he passed away, but he had a regular cab Ford F-150 2wd. Now he lived in Pymatunning, PA. If your not familiar its maybe 30 miles south of lake Erie. Its above the snow belt so they get alot of snow! I don't know how he did it, but the man drove that truck with nothing in the bed, all season tires in feet of snow on dirt roads! I'll never know how he did it and I watched him do multi times. I'm not that good with 4wd let alone do that with 2. So I know people are good with it.