1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine light and Auto LSD light at 1500 miles

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by jschloss, May 2, 2010.

1. May 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    jschloss

jschloss [OP] Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Hello,

I have a new Tacoma with only 1500 miles on it. The check engine light and auto LSD lights both came on today for the first time.

When I try to turn the auto LSD on and off, the auto LSD light is unresponsive. Howevere, the 'auto LSD OFF' light turns on and off as expected.

Any ideas? I'll be taking it into the dealer tomorrow. I wouldn't expect a maintenance light until at least 5000 miles.

Thanks.

2. May 2, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

No idea, other than to take it in.

3. May 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    jschloss

jschloss [OP] Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the welcome. I'll post again once I get resolution at the dealership.

4. May 3, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    jschloss

jschloss [OP] Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    I took the truck in this morning. I was told that they had seen a couple other instances like this (same error reading). Apparently the error is false and it refers to an advanced camshaft ..... Bank B.....etc.

Their fix is to wait until after the first oil change. He said the problem goes away afterward.

Questions I am left with. Why did the truck throw a false error by illuminating the check engine and limited slip differential lights? Why would the false error refer to engine metrics when the LSD light came on without reason?

I was told they would mail me the service document after it was written up. I'll be following this and reply with results as I get them.

5. May 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    hummmm sounds wierd if ya ask me.

Welcome to TW

6. May 3, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Welcome to TW. I am also interested in your findings.

7. May 3, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Take it to a different dealer get a second opinion.

8. May 3, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    jschloss

jschloss [OP] Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Just noting more specifically the OBDII error code:

It must have been a P002x error:

P0021 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)

OR

P0024 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2) - See Trouble Code P0021

Thanks for the suggestions. I will call a second dealership service department to try and get some additional information. Tracking this pretty closely since the truck is only a month old.

9. May 3, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    did they try disconnecting the battery?

10. May 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    FeArMyTaCo

FeArMyTaCo doin' work

Member:
    First Name:
    brett
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab prerunner debadged
    flowmaster 40 series,k&n c/a intake,kings rr front and rear, grille craft grille, 285 big o a/t, 17" moto metal rims, 90 watt 6 strobe whelen kit.
    i am also interested in what you find i had the exact same lights come up and stay on my truck yesterday and i have 20,000 miles

11. May 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Why would the problem mysteriously go away after an oil change...:confused:

12. May 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    im not possitive but the probably reset the comp when you get an oil change by disconnecting the battery. This way the comp resets so that the maintenance light doesn't come on till so many miles later.

I would try disconnecting your battery and see if it clears the lights you have on.

13. May 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
  14. May 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    BS.
    Here's what I would do.
    Go back to the sales manager where you bought the vehicle and tell him/her you want a different new truck with NO problems. Not a LEMON.

Or delete the damn CEL and whatever NOW, today, not when you change the oil.
    It could be a long time before you change the oil and besides, maybe you want to do it yourself or go somewhere else.

Dipsticks.
    They are just being lazy. How much did you spend at this dealership?

If that doesn't work then ask for the highest customer service person at the dealership or VP. Then call Toyota. And keep on escalating until they fix it.

15. May 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    ya I have a feeling all they have to do is delete the CEL.

16. May 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    taos07

taos07 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    The truck that I test drove when I bought mine did this same exact thing and it only had like 15 miles on it.

17. May 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I think if an oil change is the magic fix they should change it right now for free to fix the problem.

18. May 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    ShadowFalken

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Wow.

I did not see where they gave the vehicle back to him with the lights still on.

So how well do you understand the systems involved that could have caused this glitch in OP's truck? Could you enlighten the rest of us as to how you would have fixed it on the spot? I am sure that since you are speaking with such confidence that you must know exactly what happened with the vehicle. We are all eyes.

19. May 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    jschloss

jschloss [OP] Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    After badgering the service department for some more information I was told that this exact type of error has occurred on other vehicles and even with different engines (Landcruiser V8 as one example, apparently owned by the owner of the dealership [Vann York Toyota]).

They call Southeast Toyota each time they see this problem and are told the same thing. Clear the CEL and change the oil. They have supposedly not seen any of the vehicles repeat the problem.

I'm left with the understanding that the service department/centers have absolutely no clue why these vehicles are throwing false errors. The people I spoke with kept throwing up nonsensical ideas as to things that could trigger it.

I was not charged anything for the visit and I have free maintenance for 2 years anyway. However, I can't say this does anything to build confidence in my new purchase.

After further review of the problem(s) I will recieve additional information in the mail, which I will in-turn post here on this thread.

Thanks for all the posts. I hope this helps anyone else who is seeing the same thing. I will probably make some calls to other local service departments to see if I can get any additional information as well.

20. May 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    ShadowFalken

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Disconnecting a battery at a service is like using a hammer to push a button. There are much more elegant ways to do things when you have the correct tools and procedures. Resetting modules and service intervals can be accomplished without the loss of radio information, shift adaptation, idle behavior and so forth that would becaused by disconnecting a battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top