Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Check Engine light and Auto LSD light at 1500 miles

Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
jschloss is on a distinguished road
jschloss's Tacoma Gallery
Check Engine light and Auto LSD light at 1500 miles

Hello,

I have a new Tacoma with only 1500 miles on it. The check engine light and auto LSD lights both came on today for the first time.

When I try to turn the auto LSD on and off, the auto LSD light is unresponsive. Howevere, the 'auto LSD OFF' light turns on and off as expected.

Any ideas? I'll be taking it into the dealer tomorrow. I wouldn't expect a maintenance light until at least 5000 miles.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

No idea, other than to take it in.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Thanks for the welcome. I'll post again once I get resolution at the dealership.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Service Department Response

I took the truck in this morning. I was told that they had seen a couple other instances like this (same error reading). Apparently the error is false and it refers to an advanced camshaft ..... Bank B.....etc.

Their fix is to wait until after the first oil change. He said the problem goes away afterward.

Questions I am left with. Why did the truck throw a false error by illuminating the check engine and limited slip differential lights? Why would the false error refer to engine metrics when the LSD light came on without reason?

I was told they would mail me the service document after it was written up. I'll be following this and reply with results as I get them.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
hummmm sounds wierd if ya ask me.

Welcome to TW
Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to a different dealer get a second opinion.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Error details

Just noting more specifically the OBDII error code:

It must have been a P002x error:

P0021 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)

OR

P0024 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2) - See Trouble Code P0021

Thanks for the suggestions. I will call a second dealership service department to try and get some additional information. Tracking this pretty closely since the truck is only a month old.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
did they try disconnecting the battery?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
doin' work
FeArMyTaCo is on a distinguished road

Name: brett
FeArMyTaCo's Tacoma Gallery
i am also interested in what you find i had the exact same lights come up and stay on my truck yesterday and i have 20,000 miles
Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Why would the problem mysteriously go away after an oil change...
im not possitive but the probably reset the comp when you get an oil change by disconnecting the battery. This way the comp resets so that the maintenance light doesn't come on till so many miles later.

I would try disconnecting your battery and see if it clears the lights you have on.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
ShadowFalken's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
BS.
Here's what I would do.
Go back to the sales manager where you bought the vehicle and tell him/her you want a different new truck with NO problems. Not a LEMON.

Or delete the damn CEL and whatever NOW, today, not when you change the oil.
It could be a long time before you change the oil and besides, maybe you want to do it yourself or go somewhere else.

Dipsticks.
They are just being lazy. How much did you spend at this dealership?

If that doesn't work then ask for the highest customer service person at the dealership or VP. Then call Toyota. And keep on escalating until they fix it.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
mmmm tacos!

nad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
BS.
Here's what I would do.
Go back to the sales manager where you bought the vehicle and tell him/her you want a different new truck with NO problems. Not a LEMON.

It could be a long time before you change the oil and besides, maybe you want to do it yourself or go somewhere else.

Dipsticks.

If that doesn't work then ask for the highest customer service person at the dealership or VP. Then call Toyota. And keep on escalating until they fix it.
ya I have a feeling all they have to do is delete the CEL.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
taos07 is on a distinguished road
Army:
taos07's Tacoma Gallery
The truck that I test drove when I bought mine did this same exact thing and it only had like 15 miles on it.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #18
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
BS.
Here's what I would do.

Dipsticks.

Wow.

I did not see where they gave the vehicle back to him with the lights still on.

So how well do you understand the systems involved that could have caused this glitch in OP's truck? Could you enlighten the rest of us as to how you would have fixed it on the spot? I am sure that since you are speaking with such confidence that you must know exactly what happened with the vehicle. We are all eyes.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
Additional Information

After badgering the service department for some more information I was told that this exact type of error has occurred on other vehicles and even with different engines (Landcruiser V8 as one example, apparently owned by the owner of the dealership [Vann York Toyota]).

They call Southeast Toyota each time they see this problem and are told the same thing. Clear the CEL and change the oil. They have supposedly not seen any of the vehicles repeat the problem.

I'm left with the understanding that the service department/centers have absolutely no clue why these vehicles are throwing false errors. The people I spoke with kept throwing up nonsensical ideas as to things that could trigger it.

I was not charged anything for the visit and I have free maintenance for 2 years anyway. However, I can't say this does anything to build confidence in my new purchase.

After further review of the problem(s) I will recieve additional information in the mail, which I will in-turn post here on this thread.

Thanks for all the posts. I hope this helps anyone else who is seeing the same thing. I will probably make some calls to other local service departments to see if I can get any additional information as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
im not possitive but the probably reset the comp when you get an oil change by disconnecting the battery. This way the comp resets so that the maintenance light doesn't come on till so many miles later.

I would try disconnecting your battery and see if it clears the lights you have on.
Disconnecting a battery at a service is like using a hammer to push a button. There are much more elegant ways to do things when you have the correct tools and procedures. Resetting modules and service intervals can be accomplished without the loss of radio information, shift adaptation, idle behavior and so forth that would becaused by disconnecting a battery.