Notices

New truck- Tapping sound

Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
bllmrtn is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
bllmrtn's Tacoma Gallery
New truck- Tapping sound

Hey all
Bought a new truck last weel. A d-cab with the 4.0l six. I'm wondering if the slight noise is something to be concerned with. On morning start ups i seem to hear a lifter, valve tapping like sound. Also hear it when the truck accelerates whenstarting up a hill. This ticky sound may be normal on these sixes but i haven't been in any other taco to know the diff. Again, the sound isn't very loud but noticeable. Maybe its a slight exhaust leak. Just wondering. Thanks, Bill
Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing with mine, and a ton of others it seems. Using premium gas helps if you are concerned or if it really bothers you, but I've learned to ignore it, since it seems everyone has the same experience and Toyota says it is "normal".

Maybe someone has a different answer though?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
premium doesnt help for me, it actually makes it worse, if you do a search you will find lots of threads about it, seeing how your truck is so new its most likely the pwm valve tapping, which there are a couple ways to try and isolate found in other threads. If you do have ticking still after isolating that valve then you may have the same injector tick that I have, there is nothing you can do about that, it echoes through the manifolds and makes it seem louder than it is.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
tommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud of
tommyxv's Tacoma Gallery
...I have the same light tapping sound with my '11 4.0l v6. Asked a buddy about it who knows Toyota engines very well, said it's the injectors and it is normal. Told me it is nothing to worry about.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Check this thread... quick, cheap improvement if it's what you're hearing.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
tommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud of
tommyxv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
Check this thread... quick, cheap improvement if it's what you're hearing.
Cool, thx. After reading that thread, it sounds like my tapping is much less noticeable than some. No way could I hear it in the cab with the windows up. I'll see hows it goes.