Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Modded trucks reserved for message boards?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
CDonC is on a distinguished road
CDonC's Tacoma Gallery
Modded trucks reserved for message boards?

I don't know about you guys, but where I live (Portland, OR), with the exception of a lifted Ford Super Duty every now and again, I hardly see any modded trucks on the road, which kind of disappoints me. I'm still window shopping and I love seeing the possibilities up close, but pretty much all of the Tacomas that I see are all bone-stock work trucks. Not that I want a completely tricked out truck or anything, but a little personality seems to go a long way. I just don't see a lot of personalized trucks out there.

The online community would beg to differ. With a membership of 1,000+, most of you guys have poured hundreds or thousands of dollars into lifts, wheels, tires, and other appearance mods. Is it common where you guys live to see a lot of stock trucks?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of folks in the New Orleans area do have their trucks stockish.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Hook 'Em
Buckfever is on a distinguished road
Navy: Sonar Tech, Fast Attack Sub
Buckfever's Tacoma Gallery
It's pretty common here is Texas. Every state is different and some even have regs against certain modifications (Hawaii has to inspect and pass your vehicle after particular mods). it also depends on the dealer and what they add/ordered from their supplier. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I rarely see modded Tacomas in my area. The most I see on them is a tonneau cover or a cap. Tons of jacked up domestics though.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
CdonC...?

'I actually live in the airport'

PLEASE TELL MORE
Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
CDonC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
CdonC...?

'I actually live in the airport'

PLEASE TELL MORE
Oh, no. I just think it's funny when I see newscasts that abbreviate Portland as PDX, when that's the name of our airport. A lot of times, it's when they're reporting the temperature, but I do see a lot of national newscasts that abbreviate it that way.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Here in town, almost all trucks are stock, you can see step bars, bull bars, rims and tires, lifs, but thats about it.....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Here in san diego you see all kinds of goodies, different types of lifts different suspension setups wheels tires i see so many tacos on the road its crazy but i know mine is different from the next
Old 05-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with you...I moved from Hillsboro Oregon to San Antonio and yes...there are very few modded trucks unless you go out to Forest Grove and some of the communities in the foot hills. Problem I have had in Texas is finding a 4x4 with Cruise control and tow package but I am glad that it was difficult as I am having to post pone my purchase for the moment.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
CDonC's Tacoma Gallery
I guess the reason I'm surprised is that especially in the Northwest, a lot of trucks are used in fairly extreme conditions like offroading, taking them up to the mountain, etc. and almost none of them are even lifted.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I had a 2004 Ford Ranger Edge with a 3" and heavy tires and ran a few logging trails and used it out on the beach north of Seaside and you would think there would be more. Unless you come across an off road group it is rare to find much of a modded out 4x4 there.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Hawaii does have a bunch, but like someone said, if you want to do it legally, then you need to get a "recon" inspection. (big tires need to have a fender flare etc..)..that being said, even the rice-burner imports that are lowered need to have the same recon done as well..
for me, it is a $$ issue. Yes i have had friends pour thousands into their rides (like I did with my first car, a '91 honda accord).. A lot of people use their tacoma's for work... some as their weekend truck or "toy-ota".. I have had some friends trick out thier truck, then get it stolen..
It is also funny to see some guys with their HUGE lift, not only struggling to get into their cabs, but even loading groceries at Costco..

If I had the $$ to blow, or didn't have a mortgage, I would get a small lift and some nice rims.. (then again there are some people who would frown at someone lifting their pre-runner anyway)

For now, I'll keep things pretty stock (with a snugtop shell w/racks for the kayak and bikes.. and spend $$ on the AFE and oneday a scangauge II..