Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

SAS info. 90 model truck, Trans questions.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
SAS info. 90 model truck, Trans questions.

My truck has the 3.0 and to mine and the previous owners knowledge it is stock. I'm the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner purchased it in 92. The reason for this info is because to my knowledge all v6 trucks came with the Chain driven T-case.
However this truck has the Gear driven case, which should only be found on the 4cylinder trucks.

I was getting a list of parts together as well as money, but now I need to know what is needed to get me from the T-case to the solid axle? This is what I was going to get but now i'm just lost.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...v6-drivetrains

Yes I have never done this before so please give good useful advice none of the "if you don't know you shouldn't be doing it" because we all need to learn somewhere. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
My truck has the 3.0 and to mine and the previous owners knowledge it is stock. I'm the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner purchased it in 92. The reason for this info is because to my knowledge all v6 trucks came with the gear driven T-case.
However this truck has the chain driven case.

I was getting a list of parts together as well as money, but now I need to know what is needed to get me from the T-case to the solid axle? This is what I was going to get but now i'm just lost.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...v6-drivetrains

Yes I have never done this before so please give good useful advice none of the "if you don't know you shouldn't be doing it" because we all need to learn somewhere. Thanks.

The V6's came with the chain driven t-cases. The 22re came with the gear driven. Marlin can get you the crawler box and whatever adapters you need
Old 06-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
Dude i'm still not sure what you're trying to say you've got a gear t-case and it is connected to your transmission yes? All you now need to connect to the front axle is a front drive shaft this seems far to simple an answer so I'm sure i'm missing something. You need the adapter becasue the output on the auto transmission is designed for a chain driven case not a gear driven one hince the adapter to go from one to the other. People tend to like to swap the gear driven ones into other models becasue the geared cases are much stronger as well as re-gearable the standard low of 2.7:1 can be replaced with a low of 4.7 to one on the geared cases not to mention the geared cases are quite a bit stronger.
Thank you for filling that in. It was driving me $%^&ing nuts. I was looking at it and wondering why my shaft wouldn't be sufficient. I was told I had to have the adapter with the chain driven case. Couldn't figure out why. Then realized my truck for some odd reason had a gear driven case and then wanted to know what if anything I would need to mate the case to the axle. I looked at what I had here and was at a loss for why things just wouldn't go right together, it looked like it would to me.

But now i want to know why my v6, auto has a gear driven case? everything I read says that v6 only came with chain driven.