1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Rav4 Sport

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by TacoCo, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Jun 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo [OP] Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Wondering if anyone here has much experience with these. I'm likely going to buy a used 2008 Rav4 Sport 4x4 with the V6 engine this weekend for my wife. The car is just out of the factory bumper to bumper warranty (39k miles), so I'm trying to figure out if there are any known issues that I need to be on the look out for. The owner says it's been serviced at the local mechanic that specializes in Toyotas, not at the dealership, so I'm not sure that any recalls or TSB's have been done. Are there any that apply to this model that I should be aware of? The owner also stated that the rear window wiper motor had to be replaced already. Is this common?

Thanks in advance for the info.

2. Jun 22, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Post some links & info when you get it.... (or whatever)

My mother-in-law is in need of something new and the Rav's, CRV's and or Subarus are on the list. Just not sure what SHE wants (she's kinda picky).

Check out Toyotanation forums. THere might be info in there. :D

3. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
  4. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    the only major recall is for the vvti oil line "SSC 90K" is what its called. ur dealer should be able to pull up the vehicles national history if it has been done already. other than that, its the only one that i can think of

5. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
  6. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I test drove one and they were damned fast for what they are. It would be a fun little car to own.

7. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    i used to drive that EXACT vehicle. it was pretty darn fast, cornered well, excellent grip in rain and snow even with stock tires.
    good for road trips- i got 28-30 mpg highway. and the rear seats recline :D
    i dont know of any recalls, i only had it for about a year. it gets my stamp of approval though, for whatever thats worth.

8. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    oldsman71442

oldsman71442 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    oahu HI/ Redding CA
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Girlfriend Has a 08 Rav4 limited... its only a 4cyl and it is quick. She really likes it. Seems very comforatable and it has so many features I don't know what buttons to play with inside. No problems yet but is also has 39k miles

9. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    If I hadn't seen and bought the Taco I was thinking about a Rav

10. Jun 24, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    The only problem with the Rav4 is everything is electronic, and when the battery dies, so does steering, braking, and instruments. I had a 2007, and after a year of ownership, one of the cells in the battery went dead. Drove it to work in the morning, wouldn't start at the end of the workday. Jumped it and when I tried to drive it, the steering got real stiff, the instruments and dash lights quit working, and braking was real hard. After about 15 seconds, the power came back up, but lasted about 30 seconds and everything but the engine quit again. Did this repeatedly for about 15 miles until I could find a place to park it and call for a tow truck. Became a dangerous vehicle to drive.

11. Jun 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    Turdburglar

Turdburglar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Enola, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB SR5
    Trifecta, AVS Bugflector, TRD skid plate, 45% tint front windows, Gerber carseat lol
    Just throwing in my $0.02 here. I test drove these because they were on my list of possible cars, obviously I went with a Taco. 270ish HP, surprisingly quick and respectable gas mileage were great selling points to me. Combine that with the utility and comfort of it and honestly I'm starting to wonder why I chose a Tacoma!! Nah i kid i kid I love my Taco, but still have a half-y for a Rav4 V6.

12. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I wouldn't be ashamed to drive one, but it's not replacing the Taco, it's replacing my wife's 2002 Subaru Outback Sport... biggest POS I've ever owned. I'll never buy another Subaru after this one blew up on us at 100k miles. The only thing they're good for is the Subaru AWD technology, which I understand the Rav4 uses.

Unfortunately, the seller of the Rav4 is out of town on business this weekend, so it'll have to wait.

Products Discussed in

To Top