Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

2008 Rav4 Sport

Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
2008 Rav4 Sport

Wondering if anyone here has much experience with these. I'm likely going to buy a used 2008 Rav4 Sport 4x4 with the V6 engine this weekend for my wife. The car is just out of the factory bumper to bumper warranty (39k miles), so I'm trying to figure out if there are any known issues that I need to be on the look out for. The owner says it's been serviced at the local mechanic that specializes in Toyotas, not at the dealership, so I'm not sure that any recalls or TSB's have been done. Are there any that apply to this model that I should be aware of? The owner also stated that the rear window wiper motor had to be replaced already. Is this common?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Post some links & info when you get it.... (or whatever)

My mother-in-law is in need of something new and the Rav's, CRV's and or Subarus are on the list. Just not sure what SHE wants (she's kinda picky).

Check out Toyotanation forums. THere might be info in there.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Have you been here? http://rav4world.com/forums/index.php
I learned a lot when I had my 2004 Rav-4 there.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
the only major recall is for the vvti oil line "SSC 90K" is what its called. ur dealer should be able to pull up the vehicles national history if it has been done already. other than that, its the only one that i can think of
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Have you been here? http://rav4world.com/forums/index.php
I learned a lot when I had my 2004 Rav-4 there.
Cool thanks, hadn't seen that one.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I test drove one and they were damned fast for what they are. It would be a fun little car to own.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
i used to drive that EXACT vehicle. it was pretty darn fast, cornered well, excellent grip in rain and snow even with stock tires.
good for road trips- i got 28-30 mpg highway. and the rear seats recline
i dont know of any recalls, i only had it for about a year. it gets my stamp of approval though, for whatever thats worth.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
oldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really nice
Coast Guard: AMT
Name: Jeff
oldsman71442's Tacoma Gallery
Girlfriend Has a 08 Rav4 limited... its only a 4cyl and it is quick. She really likes it. Seems very comforatable and it has so many features I don't know what buttons to play with inside. No problems yet but is also has 39k miles
Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
If I hadn't seen and bought the Taco I was thinking about a Rav
Old 06-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
The only problem with the Rav4 is everything is electronic, and when the battery dies, so does steering, braking, and instruments. I had a 2007, and after a year of ownership, one of the cells in the battery went dead. Drove it to work in the morning, wouldn't start at the end of the workday. Jumped it and when I tried to drive it, the steering got real stiff, the instruments and dash lights quit working, and braking was real hard. After about 15 seconds, the power came back up, but lasted about 30 seconds and everything but the engine quit again. Did this repeatedly for about 15 miles until I could find a place to park it and call for a tow truck. Became a dangerous vehicle to drive.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Turdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of light
Turdburglar's Tacoma Gallery
Just throwing in my $0.02 here. I test drove these because they were on my list of possible cars, obviously I went with a Taco. 270ish HP, surprisingly quick and respectable gas mileage were great selling points to me. Combine that with the utility and comfort of it and honestly I'm starting to wonder why I chose a Tacoma!! Nah i kid i kid I love my Taco, but still have a half-y for a Rav4 V6.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Aspiring wrench monkey

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I wouldn't be ashamed to drive one, but it's not replacing the Taco, it's replacing my wife's 2002 Subaru Outback Sport... biggest POS I've ever owned. I'll never buy another Subaru after this one blew up on us at 100k miles. The only thing they're good for is the Subaru AWD technology, which I understand the Rav4 uses.

Unfortunately, the seller of the Rav4 is out of town on business this weekend, so it'll have to wait.