Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

How safe is it to customize your Taco?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
MrGuitarguy's Tacoma Gallery
How safe is it to customize your Taco?

I've been saving for some time now, anxious to buy me some new wheels and tires. I have some decent amount of money invested (mostly interior) into my Taco, but it still appears stock. With these wheels and tires my taco should look good, but as with most "tasteful" modifications, the truck with get some attention. All my friends and family tell me "oh wow, those wheels/tires are nice BUT you're going to get them stolen". This brings me to my questions:

1) How dangerous is it to customize your truck?
2) Have you ever had your wheels stolen? (or any other valuable appealing modification)
3) Is it worth it to customize?

Share your stories : )
Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had my wheels stolen, and IIRC you can get aftermarket wheel locks to protect your investment.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing has ever been tampered with on my truck *knocks on wood*
Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I've never had my wheels stolen, and IIRC you can get aftermarket wheel locks to protect your investment.
what brands do you recommend?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Casey
00taco's Tacoma Gallery
most new wheels come with locking lugnuts where you need the special socket to remove them. mine have it.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00taco View Post
most new wheels come with locking lugnuts where you need the special socket to remove them. mine have it.
Cool, but you dont think someone who's seen this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A) can get through them?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuitarguy View Post
Cool, but you dont think someone who's seen this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A) can get through them?
Well it is a matter of time. Why would they spend 20 minutes on your truck when they can walk for five minutes and get an easier car. Plus that makes lots of noise.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Well it is a matter of time. Why would they spend 20 minutes on your truck when they can walk for five minutes and get an easier car. Plus that makes lots of noise.
Good point.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good point.
I just figure they wil pick an easier target. Same thing with the hose clamp mod.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Heres another way to beat locking lug nuts... Granted a thief wouldnt do this...

Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That guy is an idiot and doesn't even know how to properly use a breaker bar....
Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
I just figure they wil pick an easier target. Same thing with the hose clamp mod.
I dont know what the hose clamp mod is.
I'm just trying to decide whether I should put wheels and tires. I have a carbine alarm system (to be honest, its not that great), and I'd buy wheel locks, but what else could one do to keep their vehicle safe?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you live? That would be my first question, is it a quiet/safe neighborhood? There is plenty of anti-theft devices and such but if someone wants it, they'll take it. It's a horrible thought but it's a chance we all take considering we all spend our hard earned money and time into our vehicles to have some worthless piece of shizzo person take it. It's happened to me but I don't live in a bubble or in the past,I love my cars/trucks! Hose clamp mod is a "security" mod to keep your tailgate from being stolen without tools
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery

Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I had my tires slashed by that's it....
Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what brands do you recommend?
I honestly am not familiar with aftermarket wheel locks...
Old 06-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I honestly am not familiar with aftermarket wheel locks...
My Moto Metals have 24 locking lugs
Old 06-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #18

I personally think that if somethings gonna happen, then its gonna happen. Just do what makes you happy Thats why we have insurance
Old 06-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
My Moto Metals have 24 locking lugs

Do all Moto Metals have locking lugs?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #20

Quote:

Do all Moto Metals have locking lugs?