1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I want to restore an 81-83 Toyota 4x4

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by MrGuitarguy, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jul 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM
    MrGuitarguy

MrGuitarguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Longbed SR5
    I recently got obsessed with the 81-83 Toyota 4x4 and I've always heard good things about their 22r engines. I see one of Craigslist for 2k, but I'm sure I can bring him down. Im not sure if it runs, and the body has some rust, nothing that looks major, but overall it looks like all the parts are there. I was wondering how much it would cost to restore the truck. Paint, engine (last thing, if it has low miles) electrical (if needed) and 4x4 stuff, assuming the transmission is good.

Also, is all the talk about the reliability good? Any stories anyone wants to share?

This is what I'd like it to look like, but with that nice metallic gunmetal grey the 2nd gens have (Whats the name of that color?)

81pu_20d2414e5a11ddba8c64feec6a15beaf8ea2f69a.jpg
    81pu-2_5e1cc1252d1f2e041fe08309e3f42a9e2bfadafd.jpg

2. Jul 3, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    MrGuitarguy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Longbed SR5
  3. Jul 3, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    there all good trucks..resto price will vary greatly depending on truck,drivetrain,and home much of the work you do yourself.....its a great platform to start with..22r is a good motor but alot of people switch to the 22re which is fuel injected from the 88+ trucks...good luck do lots of research before you buy something...and remember expect and plan for the worse when you build something that way you can afford to move forward and not be discuraged and if it goes smooth youll have extra money and time at the end..but that never happens..lol...good luck

4. Jul 3, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    my dad had a 82 just like that one (except it had roll-bars and graphics on the side) and he was out hunting one day and it was muddy and on the hunting club land he lost traction and slid down a hill sideways and broke both rear springs, put it in 4lo and it walked out and got back to the main road and drove it on to a wrecker and when he got it home he replaced the springs and it was as good as new

with the same truck he pulled out a tractor that was stuck on a power-line and the tractor was still in reverse after it was out and backed in to the drivers side and crushed the fender and door and messed something up on the front axle(was the death of the truck but it still made it home) and he sold it to a guy and he rebuilt the motor and put a new fender and door and fixed the axle and we rode in it after he did that and it ran great( i don't know what he did with it after that but im sure it still out there somewhere)

5. Jul 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    fixed :)

6. Jul 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    ^^^^lol my bad thank you

7. Jul 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    MrGuitarguy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Longbed SR5
    I really like to the trucks. They have that old classic look that I really dig. Those trucks, along with the 72-83 Toyota Corolla, and Coronas had that nostalgic reminisce that reminds us of how cars used to look. They have those metal rugged chassis, and those heavy doors that always squeaked or you had to slam. Just badass cars really. Classic Yota's.

Products Discussed in

To Top