1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 hesitation

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Eriksen0108, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Eriksen0108

Eriksen0108 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    I need some help. My '03 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L 5spd has been hesitating only during the summer months for the past 4 years. It now has 110,000 miles on it and it seems to happen on hot days after its rained. I'll go to take off from a stop and it seems like its starving for fuel/air/spark...whatever. I'll have the pedal floored and it will finally take off after like 5-10 seconds of lag. I won't let anybody else drive it because it's dangerous. Then when I shift to 2nd, it does it again. Of course it won't reproduce the hesitation in the presence of a mechanic. I've replaced the MAF sensor, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, wires, coils, cleaned throttle body and used Fuel Injector Cleaner. During the winter, no hesitation at all. It's more severe with the A/C, but still happens without. Toyota couldn't reproduce it either and it will not throw an engine code.
    Has anybody experienced this? Any suggestions?

2. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    have you changed the fuel pump? Try different gas. I personally don't put "cheaper" gas in my vehicles. (kangaroo, cowboys) those types of gas stations. I always use BP and put lucas fuel treatment every oil change. There might be water in the tank as well. I would start with changing where you fill up and if that doesn't work, try changing the fuel pump.

3. Jul 2, 2012 at 3:05 AM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    I changed to Shell gas consistently for the last month and it still happens. Haven't changed the fuel pump, but I'd think a bad fuel pump would give me problems starting, no? It runs fine other than the ridiculous hesitation

4. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    true didnt think about that... have you done a seafoam treatment? half in the tank and half through intake manifold. youtube on how to do it..
    EDIT: also, with that kinda mileage, have you changed the timing belt? i definitely know that wont fix it, but its preventative maintenance on a vehicle with high mileage. Ask this guy, he knows more about engines than anyone I know of....
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/south-east/227374-marion-bumper2bumper-automotive-alabama.html

5. Jul 3, 2012 at 4:21 AM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    I've never done a seafoam treatment, but I'm gonna have to YouTube it because I have never even heard of it, haha! I changed the timing belt at 90,000. Oil is changed every 3,000 religiously. Temperature always seems consistent, so I don't think it has anything to do with the thermostat or radiator.
    What gets me is the fact that it only happens in the spring and summer heat. Once it cools down in the fall to winter, it won't hesitate. Seems to happen more after its been driven in the rain. Not when it's raining, but for several days after.

6. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    subtleshift

subtleshift Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    Irvine, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    K&N high flow filter, 2x Yakima bike mounts
    I have almost the exact same problem but im in the 3.4l automatic. I haven't replaced as much as you, but started with spark plugs and a fuel filter. The fuel filter seemed to help a bit (with a more severe fuel supply problem i was having), but long story short my next best guess is the fuel pump.

Like you mentioned though, I generally have more problems on startup in comparison to problems while stopping (this has occured though)

7. Jul 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    I've never had problems on startup, but it will start to lag while I have steady pressure on the gas and cruising.

8. Jul 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    Sorry...I mean I don't have problems stopping. Starting is the reason I posted in the first place...haha!

9. Jul 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    ahh finally someone with the same problem as me. Problem started last summer, engine would hesitate for a few seconds from the go then once I was cruising at low RPM's it would also dip down about 100 rpms for a good second then go back up. I replaced my fuel filter, put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and the problem slowly disappeared.. but then again so did the heat. Sure enough this summer the hesitation is back so I blame it on the damn AZ heat but sounds like I may need to look into a new fuel pump. Let me know if you pull the trigger and see results.

10. Jul 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    I'll keep you posted. Do the same for me. It hasn't been doing it since its been kinda dry around here. Once I drive it in the rain for a while or during heavy rain, it will do it again, I'm sure. I'd imagine in Arizona, it's gonna be really intermittent.

11. Jul 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    It's monsoon season right now and next week we are expecting some moisture so I'll see if I notice it more

12. Aug 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    CrunchyTaco99

CrunchyTaco99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    33x12.50 Pro Comp M/T's All-Pro Coils, UCA and 3" leafs.
    Either of you replace the fuel pump yet? Mine is having a mid throttle hesitation and lacking acceleration. Feels like I am dragging a boat anchor. Took it to a local Toyota guy this morning and that was all he could think of. No CEL and nothing else he could find. Wanted to hear someone say they have replaced it and fixed the problem before I drop that kind of money.

13. Aug 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Interesting--I want to know TOO!!
    Do not have the problem--subcribed to this thread-With all the things that were replaced--what could it be?
    I recently put in a different brand of gas--noticed a huge difference in performance-SHITTY--Normally use EXXON--had to pick up some diesel fuel and figured I would just fill up the gas too--Mistake--BACK to EXXON for me.
    BP and Shell make my truck run bad--do they have MORE ETHANOL??
    REAL GAS is worth the extra $$$ you spend--Have you tried REAL GAS?
    Most Farmers Co-Op--carry real gas--Just a thought--could not hurt on your next fill up.

14. Aug 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    CrunchyTaco99

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    I said screw and ordered the Walbro 190lph pump off of the URD website after I spoke with Gadget. He said he has been running one since 97' with no issues. At $100 it is also a third of the price that Toyota quoted me ($347) for a new pump from them. In their defense the Toyota one is the complete fuel pump and mount assembly; which I do not need. Also, since I am running the 7th injector, the higher flow of the Walbro may fix my problem plus give a bit more power than I originally had. It should be here Monday and I will give an update as soon as I get it in and give it a test drive. Crossing my fingers!

15. Aug 14, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    CrunchyTaco99

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    Just to give a heads up; new pump did not fix the problem for me!

16. Aug 15, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    Well I guess I can scratch the fuel pump idea. It's gotta be electrical...

17. Aug 15, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    CrunchyTaco99

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    Yours might be different than mine. The fuel pump changed nothing but i went ahead and bought the walboro fuel pump as un upgrade if add injectors and other mods later. So nit a complete waste of money.

I did find a open vacuum port on the supercharger intake. Replugged it and reset the ECM and it ran great. It eventually starting running crappy again but not as bad as before. I would say it is 80% right now. I can drive around normally just fine but don't have the WOT pull it used to have. Whatever my problem is the ECM starts detecting it after the reset and adjusts to save the engine. I am going to continue to keep looking at possible lean out issues.

18. Aug 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    bseant

bseant Active Member

Member:
    central valley,cali
    Vehicle:
    04 doub cab prerunner
    hey guys im having the same problem in my 04 doub cab 3.4l. I also change spark plugs and oil on reg basis. I run gas from all gas stations that are decent brand and flow through gas regularly because my truck is my work vehicle as well. 164,000 miles and don't know what to do, in my mind i figured it was the fuel pump or filter but good thing i read this thread. What now? somebody has to know what's going on too many people having same issues.

19. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Toyota-Dually

Toyota-Dually Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Holden Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    I have the same hesitation problem on my 2003 Doubletaco TRD V6. Started cropping up a little last summer only. Dealer could find nothing and said just use injector cleaner. I did then it maybe improved or the weather just got cooler?
    This year (at 203300 miles) it's back and 10 times worse. Again though only on hot days (over 80 degrees) and it is unpredictable. I read up on the web and decided to put in a new Mass Air Flow Sensor.
    Problem totally went away and codes dissapeared too! BUT FOR ONLY A WEEK!
    By second week same stuff crept back in slowly. Third week became worse than ever!
    I blamed it on the aftermarket quality of the replacement part and bought another new MAS from the dealer at x3 cost....problem went away again...BUT this time only for a day!!!
    I figure if it only occurs on hot days it can't be the fuel filter or pump or air cleaner ect. Got to be a chip or electrical component of some sort?
    What do you guys think?

20. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Today, my Neighbor complained of the same problem; we changed out the O2 sensor and now it runs like a scalded Pig.

Products Discussed in

To Top