Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Toyota Trucks & SUVs (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toyota-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Engine Problems (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toyota-trucks-suvs/235104-engine-problems.html)

MJC 08-18-2012 06:41 PM

Engine Problems

Has anyone experienced or heard of a blown Toyota engine at under 77000 miles. I have a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 that has been a weekend trucked since 2006. It has been well taken care of. The engine blew while diving 35 mph on a feeder road. The engine did not freeze up. It never gave me any indication of a problem prior. Toyota wont help out and all the mechanics and dealerships I spoke with all say this should have never happened. Any ideas?

Steves104x4 08-18-2012 06:45 PM

Do a compression test.

TacomaBuzz 08-18-2012 06:55 PM

First, welcome. I know you are out of warranty but maybe you can speak directly with Toyota about this. if you have kept good maintinance records, perhaps Toyota will cover it. I wouldn't mess with the engine until you get this sorted out with Toyota. if you tamper with evidence of malfunction, it may not work out in your favor.

Jimmyh 08-18-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 5557595)
Has anyone experienced or heard of a blown Toyota engine at under 77000 miles. I have a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 that has been a weekend trucked since 2006. It has been well taken care of. The engine blew while diving 35 mph on a feeder road. The engine did not freeze up. It never gave me any indication of a problem prior. Toyota wont help out and all the mechanics and dealerships I spoke with all say this should have never happened. Any ideas?

Blown as in what manner is it "Blown"? A blown engine is a pretty vague term.

MJC 08-18-2012 08:00 PM

There is a hole in the engine in front of the transmition.

Rich91710 08-18-2012 08:03 PM

Blown is a pretty good description then.

Likely lost oil pressure and threw a rod.
4.0 or 2.7?

Steves104x4 08-18-2012 08:05 PM

A hole in the engine? Ya, it's F'd.

Rich91710 08-18-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves104x4 (Post 5558051)
A hole in the engine? Ya, it's F'd.

But be sure and let us know how that compression test comes out ;)

TODEOTA 08-19-2012 07:33 AM

What kind of hole? Like something busted through? Does it run and make horrible noises? Reason I ask is because some people think they blew an engine when they really only lost a freeze plug. Just hoping for the best for ya.

PS. Tell them that if they continue to refuse to help you out, that your lawyer is interested in taking it further.

Rich91710 08-19-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TODEOTA (Post 5559014)
PS. Tell them that if they continue to refuse to help you out, that your lawyer is interested in taking it further.

On what grounds?

It's a 7 year old truck with 77,000 miles on it.
It's out of warranty, and likely out of extended warranty.

He's on his own.

Attitudes like this remind me of a friend who was a car salesman in the 80s.
He worked for a Ford dealership, and moved up to a Mercedes dealership.
After a few years, he said that he would never work for a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, or any other "middle class" grade dealership again.

Why? When he sold a Ford or Chevy, he ended up feeling like he was married to the customer. Every little issue they had, they were back in his face and he had to walk them over to the service advisor.
If they weren't happy with the service, they were back in the showroom bothering him.

The customer's attitudes were that they had given the salesman a lot of money, and he owed it to him to take care of them for the rest of their life.

The truck is out of warranty. The dealership won't do anything unless SOMEONE agreed to pay... be it the customer or Toyota corporate.
If it's a common problem and there's a recall on it, then Toyota corporate might agree to pay... but there is no recall, and even if there is a TSB, it is only free during warranty (corporate pays the dealership).

Have fun with your lawyer.

Tacoma Mike 08-19-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich91710 (Post 5559756)
On what grounds?

He's on his own.

After a few years, he said that he would never work for a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, or any other "middle class" grade dealership again.

Why? When he sold a Ford or Chevy, he ended up feeling like he was married to the customer. Every little issue they had, they were back in his face and he had to walk them over to the service advisor.
If they weren't happy with the service, they were back in the showroom bothering him.

The customer's attitudes were that they had given the salesman a lot of money, and he owed it to him to take care of them for the rest of their life.

The truck is out of warranty. The dealership won't do anything unless SOMEONE agreed to pay... be it the customer or Toyota corporate.
If it's a common problem and there's a recall on it, then Toyota corporate might agree to pay... but there is no recall, and even if there is a TSB, it is only free during warranty (corporate pays the dealership).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbsup:

Jimmyh 08-19-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich91710 (Post 5559756)
On what grounds?

He's on his own.

I agree.