About to buy - feedback appreciated
Ladies and gentlemen- I'll try to keep this brief.
After going without a truck for several years due to work assignment/family, I will be purchasing a 2013 Tacoma in the next couple of weeks. I have two friends with Tacoma's and I have tentatively decided on the following, based on their feedback. I would appreciate any additional feedback.
This will be a daily driver and a weekend fun-truck. I will tow a minimal amount (small utility trailer, kayak trailer...). It will go deer hunting and boy scout camping and mudding.
1. Color- I've pretty much decided on white. Since I live in Texas, I know better than to get a dark color. Silver would be nice, but the dealership has already told me that silver will be hard to get with the options that I've tentatively decided on- I don't want navigation. The tan color would be ok I guess... Black or charcoal would be elegant, but I know how freaking hot dark colors get here in the 9 month summer... Is there any reason not to go with white?
2. I'm going double cab/short bed with the TRD off-road package unless there is strong objection. It seems to have most of the options that I want and most all of those are coming with the towing option.
3. I was thinking about adding the Toyota VIP alarm package. I have it on the toyota car that I'm currently driving and it's works very well. I've also heard good things about some aftermarket alarms, but having someone cut into a new truck - other than the dealership - makes me nervous. I could really use some guidance here.
4. I can't get homelink without getting a limited which means you get navigation. The homelink is very appealing because I have a remote controlled gate, and two garages. So I'll have three remotes without the homelink. I've heard there are some after-market homelink systems.. Any thoughts/advice here...
5. My wife's highlander has the clear plastic on the front and in the high risk impact areas. Would this be something to consider for the Tacoma?
6. Step pipe- the dealership said on the off-road package 4x4 they normally don't equip with the step pipes because off-roaders don't want them.... Should I get them? Get them after market?
7. Are the 16" allow wheels that come with the off-road package something I should stay with? I've seen some Tacoma's with blacked-out wheels on the white trucks and they look pretty tight. I was thinking about changing them out. Do it with the dealer or after the purchase?
Any other advice is sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
1. White is a great pic IMO. I got it and don't regret it at all. It is also a lot better about fading.
2. Trd OR is a great package. You can go on toyotas website an they give full descriptions of all the different packages.
3. My truck came with the alarm on it and so far I have no complaints. Aftermarket alarms are pos IMO and would stay away from them if possible.
4. I have nav. But no homelink and it was disappointing but it's not a big deal to me. I used velcro and mounted my openers in the sunglass holders.
5. This is a great option to add but make sure you get 3m and not other brands.
6. I would wait and get a step bar later. If you get it with the truck it just gives the salesman more reason to up the price.
7. Dealers usually won't switch wheels unless you want to buy a new set from them which will cost you much more then it should. I would buy it as it comes and upgrade after.
The white & in your area certainly is a great choice imo.
I was going back & forth about the Sport vs Off Road DCs myself & test drove each model in the color I wanted a couple of times.
I made sure to make note of vibes.
Each had little subtle differences from a stop and take off.
A couple were really noticeable so I moved on to another one to make sure.
If it was bugging me on the test drive it would only bug me more after I left the lot ya know??
What it finally came down to for me was the scoop. I didn't like it for I am short & it had a glare.
This is only my opinion but have read about it here and experienced it for myself during the test drive so that sorta sealed the deal.
I did like the color matched grill & the mirrors. Either model is sweet.
I added steps afterwards to avoid dealer markup. Having been there done that modding my last two trucks I pretty much know what I will spend & buy.
I can live with the stock alloys on the OR & tires, maybe add a color matched grill for $180 later on. The 16" tires gives me more options less money.
I am really happy with my decision on the off road for me.
Hope this helps happy shopping post pics when you buy :)
Good luck with your purchase.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 AM.|