1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mobil1 0w-40 for a 2.7 liter?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by txusa03, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Feb 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    txusa03

txusa03 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi,

I have a stash of Mobil1 0W-40 oil I purchased for a european car which I sold. I also have a 2009 Tocoma 2.7 liter 4banger. I normally use 5W-30 on the tacoma.

But, since I have this stash of Mobil1 0W-40 synthetic, could I use it on the Tacoma? Will it cause any long term damage if I don't use the recommended 5W-30? I live in southern Texas if that matters.

TIA.

2. Feb 20, 2014 at 4:46 AM
    on2wheels

on2wheels Member

Member:
    I used Mobil1 0W-40 for ten years in my E39, great stuff. Sold the E39, had ten bottles leftover, now using it in a Miata. I read up quite a bit on it on bobistheoilguy, and numerous oil analyses show that it quickly shears to a 30W, but meets the toughest oil specs in terms of additives and characteristics. Should work great for a 5W-30 application.

3. Feb 20, 2014 at 6:51 AM
    txusa03

txusa03 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Many of the bobistheoilguy info just way over my comprehension and just too technical for me. I am not even sure what you mean by shears to a 30W.

0-40w is expensive and I buy them in bulk when on sales but u can never predict the future in term of needs. I had an e90 and I followed the bmw recommendation. I enjoyed the car but had to let it go.

I love my 4 banger taco and as you can see I also followed the recommended oil grade due to lack of oil knowledge. I am afraid using different grade oil could damage the engine gasket (I did not read this anywhere it is just in my head). I hate seeing oil leak and don't understand why car have oil leak and other don't.

Products Discussed in

To Top