1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My assessment of a 2005 Tacoma TRD Offroad

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by 4x4Runner, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Dec 4, 2006 at 9:22 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner [OP] Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Well Saturday December 2nd I went with a few guy's from WATTORA to go snow wheeling a little east of Seattle.

We headed out to a place close to Cle Elum in search of some Forest Service Roads and we found them!!!! She handled like a champ. Bone stock the TRD is a good package, the snow was kind of dry and powdery. For the most part the snow wasn't to deep maybe 8-10 inches at most and I was following a '01 regular cab Tacoma with the 3RZ with a 93 regular cab Hilux behind me.

We hit some parts of the road that were a little much for the '05. The first obstacle I encountered. I tried to follow in one spot and had to put her in 4lo and try as I might she didn't grab so I switched on the rear diff lock still nothing. I got on the cb to call the '01 to come back down to get his tire deflators. When he got down I aired down to 15 psi. I backed up and put her back in 4hi and made a run at it. Amazing what airing down will do. She slipped a little but she made it up the hill.

Cruising around the back country we didn't run into anything to severe until the '01 made a go at a hill and I said aw eff it and made a go at it. I made it up about 3/4's the way up before the tires started slipping and she said I don't think so bub! Well had to back down the hill (managed a little underbrush pinstripping courtesy of a 2 inch branch)

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful except the '01 getting brave and finding himself stuck in a puddle and highcentered on a massive burm both requiring a tug to rediscover that elusive traction. As we made our way back to the main road I was bringing up the rear and started in 4hi but quickly learned that ABS doesn't really help on snow and had to switch to 4lo and use some engine braking to keep from sliding off a cliff or into a snow covered stump.

I've come to the conclusion that Toyota has done something right with the TRD Offroad package but it still needs a little help. I've decided the first thing for good traction is to upgrade the tires. I plan on getting some BFG All Terrains to remedy that. Second, A healthy 3 inch suspension lift would help out immensly. When money gets good I'm looking inot getting some Hoe's for the front and and AAL for the rear. Third, On board air would be a nice addition for airing up after a day of wheeling. Fourth and most importanly, a good dose of common sense to know what you and your vehicle are capable of. There were a couple of hills and trails the other guys went on that I knew my rig wouldn't without mods or body damage.

2. Dec 4, 2006 at 9:43 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    Nice write up. How'd you guys free the black one or did it just get out on its own?

3. Dec 4, 2006 at 9:50 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    A nice tug from my truck.
    gabestuckagain_3f66d306fa3423f08e9b65aa7acd5dfdf8a470dd.jpg

4. Dec 5, 2006 at 4:54 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Banshee, that was exciting. How are your factory mag wheels standing up to road salt?

5. Dec 5, 2006 at 3:42 PM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like a nice trip and proof of a good truck, even without mods!
    You mentioned 8-10 inches of snow out near Cle Elum, any snow fall in the seattle are? I grew up in Puyallup...

6. Dec 6, 2006 at 10:46 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Not much in Seattle and I don't know about the south sound but out here a little east of Seattle (Issaquah) we got 8 inches.

7. Feb 14, 2007 at 12:06 PM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    Wish I got a chance to test mine out in woods in the snow, not likely here in central TX though.

8. Feb 14, 2007 at 1:48 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    my truck has never seen snow would like to try it sometime

9. Feb 14, 2007 at 2:22 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    That's great to see what taco's can do :) go!!!! 4x4 :)

Products Discussed in

To Top