1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 Tundra vs. 06 Tacoma (Please help!)

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Renhalt, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Oct 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    Renhalt

Renhalt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Florida
    Hello all, I am a newbie and need your help. I have an 03 Tundra 2 wheel drive ext cab. I have racked up 190k on it and it runs like the day I bought it. I have always liked the Tacoma and am considering a change. So here is my problem. I am thinking of selling my Tundra for what i owe and buying a 06 Tacoma 4x4, quad cab, loaded up with 21k on it. My questions are as follows: what kind of REAL mpg ru getting, how does the 4.0 compare to the 4.7 as far as power and acceleration, how much difference in interior space and what about riding comfort? I am really torn, I have also looked at the newer Tundras but don't want to haul a tanker truck behind it to refuel. I have also heard that the new tundras ride like crap. I drive a lot of highway miles but also a lot of back roads. My tundra now runs and rides great and my wife seems to think I will not be happy with the tacoma. She seems to think they are a lot smaller. I guess the main reason I like the tacomas so much is the way they look, the after market parts that are available and so on. Plus some added saving on gas. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I owned both a 04 Tundra Crew Cab 4.7 4WD (without vvti) & a 2006 Tundra Access cab 4.7 4WD with vvti.
    My current truck is exactly the truck you are looking at buying - a 2006 Tacoma 4WD DC SB.

The 4.0 V6 auto is gonna feel a little different than your 4.7. I'm use to mine now. The mpg imo is the same. You might gain a couple but there are so many variables, honestly I really didn't think my 4.7 tundra mileage was that bad at all and even that the crew cab (the first gen one) was averaging 20 mpg on my highway trips. My tacoma gets that occassionally but honestly its more like 17 mixed driving. Towing its a pig. Again, I am in Vermont, cold weather, hilly terrain etc.

Size wise, I really like how I fit in the tacoma. Its right sized for me. In the Tundra crew cab, it was too big for my needs. The AC was ok, but those suicide doors were a pita & forget putting any adult back there for any long trips. I do miss the bigger bed once in awhile but have a trailer to use which makes up for it.

As for what you should do, well, mileage wise- 190k vs 21k? If you have funds and like how the truck fits your lifestyle than go for it. I do not miss my tundra at all. (Though the 4.7 was pretty damn smooth & had some get up and go).

3. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    Renhalt

Renhalt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Florida
    Thanks for your input, I have a aem brute force cold air intake and a air raid thottle body spacer on the tundra now. And wow what a difference, I am wondering if I would have the same results on the tacoma. I know I can add a supercharger but they are expensive and i am sure they like gas too! Also do you have the short bed or the long bed? I am looking at the long bed.

4. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Yes there are some threads on here on supercharging. All my stuff is stock except a trd exhaust & AFE pro dry S. There also are a lot of very smart guys who know their performance stuff on here. (not me :eek:). But I can tell you the tacoma is very comfortable on long trips! :thumbsup:

Mine is a Short Bed. Would have liked the long bed but was buying a leftover model & Short beds were all that was left. I believe the tacoma long bed's length is comparable to the tundra. Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the forum.

5. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Great info Judy! Hit that right on the head! :)

6. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    Renhalt

Renhalt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Florida
    Thanks!

7. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    InfamousTonyTaco7714

InfamousTonyTaco7714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Timberland Mica
    Borla Catback, 6 inch Pro Comp Stage 1 17x9 Matte Black XD Revolvers, 285/70/17 Radar Renegade R7, Pioneer Double Din, Iron Cross Side Steps, Tactical Armor Group Front Bumper, ARE MX series camper shell, Geared 4.10
    To be honest the older generation Tundra is not all that much larger than the newest generation of Tacoma. I have a Tacoma and all of my friends mistake Tundras for my Tacoma

8. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    I parked next to one of the older tundras today and I swear my tacoma was the same size... both extended (access) cabs. i stood next to them and their profiles matched up like... perfectly.... tundra was only a fraction longer, but thats it...

Products Discussed in

To Top