1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limited slip options

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Tony H, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    Tony H

Tony H [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bandon, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD 4cyl single cab SR5
    Tundra 17" wheels
    Hi,
    I'm sure this has been discussed but I want to add a limited slip/locking rear diff to my 03 4cyl 4X4. Pros/cons of different setups.
    Thanks,
    Tony

2. Dec 31, 2009 at 12:18 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  3. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do some research.....

There's a HUGE difference between a limited slip and a locker.

You need to decide exactly which one you want based on WHY you want either of them.

4. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    What Jan said-They are different and they don't usually come in the same package.

5. Dec 31, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    mkerros

mkerros Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jacksonville florida
    Vehicle:
    06 d/cab long bed
    So do most people run them just on the rear of a 4x4 or is that something that would be run front and rear

6. Dec 31, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Which...Lockers or Limited Slip??

Lockers- Both is handy but lots of folks get along with just the rear.
    LSD- Usually just the main drive wheels.

but those are kind generalizations...You can do whatever you want.

7. Dec 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    Tony H

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bandon, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tundra 17" wheels
    My main use would be for traction in snow. I'm not into off road driving. I figure a locking diff would be best for my situation-driving up snowy roads. Is there a TRD locking diff that would fit my axle? I would like to stay with a Toyota offering if possible.
    Thanks

8. Dec 31, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Actually for snowy road use, I would rather have a limited slip. They both will help, but the locker set up is more for heavy off road use. Again, they both have overlapping benefits on or off road, but I would prefer LSD on road and locker off road. JMO.

9. Dec 31, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    AZCOMA

AZCOMA where can't I go?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kacey
    Laveen
    Vehicle:
    05 Preunner sr5
    2.5 saw co's, n-fab bed cage rear tire mount,new head unit and 10"sub,285/75/16 nittos on M/T wheels,H.I.D.'s...The next mod is T.C. long travle kit,Deavers and glass all the way around.
    x2

10. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    +1^2

11. Jan 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Like NAAC3Taco said.....

For ON-ROAD traction in the snow, look for a limited slip for the rear axle. It will function 100% of the time while you drive without any input. PLUS - it'll continue to work even while in 2WD. They're operated via clutch paks inside the differential and overall much safer to use. They are 'silent' in a sense that the driver doesn't have to think about it.

A locker is something completely different and does not allow for slippage. They shouldn't be used while ON-ROAD but only in extreme offroad situations and in 4WD. Lockers can be fulltime or they can be engaged. Lockers change the driving/steering/road handling characteristics. If you don't know what you're doing - you can break mechanical components and put yourself in an unsafe situation while the locker is engaged.

12. Jan 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    Also, a locker in the rear is definitely not recommended for on road snow/ice conditions.

13. Jan 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    NK ED

NK ED New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    potential new owner
    Tony

I had an international pickup with a locking rear diff. In the snow I had to be very careful not to spin into donuts when accelerating out of corners. Basically the locking diff will spin you around in snow so I think the limited slip would be your better option. Limited slip allows more control.

14. Jan 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    Tony H

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bandon, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tundra 17" wheels
    Thanks for all the replys. Sounds like limited slip is best for my situation. Is the best option to purchase the diff, pull my 3rd member and take it to a shop to be set up? Is limited slip on the front an option?

15. Jan 10, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    Tony H

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bandon, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tundra 17" wheels
    From my research it looks like the Detroit Truetrac is the best choice for front and rear. Thanks for all the input

Products Discussed in

To Top