1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at 2010 Double Cab Long Bed

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by bfg, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Apr 28, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    bfg

bfg [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab SR5 LongBox
    Truxedo LoPro
    I currently have a '97 Dakota extended cab. Looking to replace it mainly because the kids are getting too big to fit in the rear. I do no off-road and live in central North Carolina, so slippery roads are rare.

I'm looking at a Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed. Trying to decide on the trim I would get. I test drove an SR5 (all they currently had for a Long Bed) and TRD Sport short bed. I liked the ride of the SR5 better as the TRD Sport seemed a bit bouncier. But I liked the seats/cloth interior of the TRD Sport much better.

Is it likley the ride of the SR5 was less bouncy because it was long bed, or is it the TRD Sport suspension that's making the ride bouncy? If the TRD Sport is stiffer, is there any way to soften the TRD Sport's ride?

Also, for the rare cases where we do get some slippery weather, would there be any advantage to the TRD Sport over the SR5?

2. Apr 28, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    MNTaco

MNTaco Newbee

Member:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab TRD Sport Long-Bed
    Bet mat, bug shield, running boards, tonneau cover
    1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

2. Not sure the interior room of the Tacoma Double Cab will be any larger than your Dakota, but it will be a much nicer truck than the Dodge, and probably much better mileage.

3. I've got a 2010 DC TRD Sport LB. I also test drove an SR5. I like the ride better of the SR5, but I liked the upgraded interior, backup camera and hood scoop on the TRD Sport, so that's what I ended up with.

4. The bouncy nature of the TRD Sport is because of the suspension (Bilstein shocks), not because of the long bed.

5. I don't know of any way to soften the TRD's ride, but after all, it is a truck.

6. You can get the SR5 in a 4x4, right? If so, you may want to go that route, just for whenever you might need the improved traction. It shouldn't do anything to the stiffness of the ride when you're in 2WD.

3. Apr 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    The TRD sport shouldnt have much of a difference in suspension over the SR5. In the past the Sport's came with a limited slip diff in the back, but I think in the '10's they went to open diff and ALSD which is a computer controlled traction aid and it still comes with the SR5's as well. So basically, the difference between the SR5 and the Sport is the seat fabric, hood scoop, color matched handles/grille/bumper/mirrors and the 110v plug in the bed.
    If you want to change suspension, some new shocks would be an easy swap and cost around $300 for 4 bilstein 5100's.

4. Apr 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    Waking the Dead

Waking the Dead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC LB Gray
    Welcome to TW. :wave:

The TRD Sport is a little stiffer than SR5 but not too bad I think.
    A smooth ride was important to me also when I was shopping for a Taco.
    I got the DC LB Sport and I'm glad I did. I like the graphics and the upgraded seats.
    The Off-Road was too stiff for me and I don't Off-Road anyway.

5. Apr 28, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    No real advantage to an 09+ TRD Sport vs SR5 on slippery roads as long as both are the same (4x2 or 4x4). Well, unless you need to plug in a small heater or radio or something using the AC plug in the bed! :D

TRD Seats are WAY more comfortable, IMO.

Sport suspension is a bit stiffer than stock but I'm not sure if that fits your description of "bouncier." I have the 4-leaf TSB spring pack on mine now so it's definitely stiffer than the stock US suspension. However that's how a truck should drive, IMO, and I got tired of the rear end bottoming out whenever I was towing my trailer over a bumpy road.

Overall the Sport package is mostly just an appearance package. It adds some nicer trim to the truck, bigger wheels, hood scoop, etc. Also brings a bit nicer stereo and better seats, stiffer suspension.

6. Apr 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    There is a ton more room in the double cab than the dodge extended cab assuming you mean the 2 door and not the 4 door

7. Apr 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Looking at the exact same truck man, good luck! Where you at in NC??

8. Apr 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    bfg

bfg [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab SR5 LongBox
    Truxedo LoPro
    Thanks for all the input. Pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. We'll be using this for some long road trips with the family, thus why I'm looking for smoother ride than off-road handling.

The DC has a lot more room than my extended cab. MY extended cab has a bench in the back suitable for small kids and even for them, a real long trip would be tortuous. My son is 13 and almost as big as me now, so we need adult seating in the back.

I'm torn now because I like the DC Long Bed SR5, but really liked the seats and interior of the TRD Sport. I could do without the rest of the TRD Sport package and the added cost.

I'm wondering what the 2011's will bring. I may wait now just to see if there are any differences in the options that let me get closer to what I want.

I'm in the Raleigh/Cary area. I see a ton of short box TRD Sports around. The long boxes seem pretty rare.

9. Apr 30, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

You'll see mine driving down US-1 and I-40 every morning heading to work/home!

Get a TRD package... your back and butt will thank you on those long road trips. I've driven back and forth to South Texas twice, OBX three times, Asheboro three times and love having the better seats.

10. Apr 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    I disagree partially with #4. The different shocks are defiantly a factor. However, the wheelbase is also a factor. Longer wheelbases are almost always less bouncy than short wheelbases. I have experienced that on many different vehicles.

Products Discussed in

To Top