Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ToyTec Lifts

Notices

Rear suspension question.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
Rear suspension question.

Hello, my name is Albert, and this is my first post. I have been lurking and reading a while, and just trying to absorb all the great information available on the site, it is unbelievable. I have owned Toyota's for year's and never new this type of help was available.
My problem is with a new Toyota Tacoma we have purchased for a work truck. It is a base 2007 Tacoma access cab,4 WD , 4 cyl. and a 5 speed, pretty basic, but a great truck that is getting over 21 MPG fully loaded around town. I put 100 to 200 miles a day on the truck, and am trying to improve the ride as the rear suspension is bottoming out due to the weight it carries. The truck is fitted with an A.R.E. contractor cap,with a couple big fiberglass ladders and all my trapping equipment. I would guess at least 600 pounds or more total. What would be the best way to improve the rear suspension to handle this ? A local spring company suggested Add a Leafs, in the 2-3 inch range at a cost of 350.00 installed and out the door. I am not too concerned about the price, I just want to make sure the problem is resolved properly. Would a spring pack be a better option ? This truck does get used off road, but spends most of it's life on pavement. Thank you for any help you can offer, I thought it would be much better to ask here than just writing a check and throwing money at it hoping it works. Albert
Old 11-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Thank you for the help,now I understand why this Tacoma bottoms out in the rear so much. I checked and it does still have the stock 3 pack, and they are basically flat. I checked with the local dealer about the TSB for the rear springs, but the truck is over the 36K mark at nearly 50K, and he told me sorry ,not much he can do. Thanks again for all the suggestions, this place is really something, I can see myself getting hooked already, Albert
Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
My 2005 4WD DC bottomed out from day one anytime there was a load in the back or even just back seat passengers when I hit bumps... Dealer was no help, and I didn't know about TSBs or this forum back then.

I researched the spring options and went with the recommendation of Off Road Warehouse in Escondido... Installed Ride Rite Air Springs that I could easily adjust for loads, firmness, height... I also switched the stock Bilsteins for the 5100's in back... they were great... the air bags were great...

Had the dealer remove them when I traded the '05 for the '10... in case I needed them on the new truck. I did not, they improved the springs... still 3 leaf pack, but stiffer springs... doesn't bottom out at all... and I have had the truck 11 months now.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Toyota owes u a 4 leaf pack........search for rear suspension TSB. Or Ill find a link in a minute.

Thats the free route, and a toytec AAL is 80.00 I think.

welcome to TW

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...=116&Itemid=72
considering that AAL should be around this price, what that one shop quoted you seems kind of steep. Maybe thats just me though...
Old 11-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #5

Army:
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am going to get the Toytec AAL and just have my local mechanic install them,along with 5100's on the rear. That should resolve the rear suspension problems, and then put the 5100's on the front to level it some,with just stock coils for now. I hope my back can survive long enough to get the work done, this truck is brutal on the body as it is,I couldn't imagine it on some real off road ground. Thanks again, Albert
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #6

Army:
ToyTec AAL question.

Thanks again for all the help getting my truck squared away. We got the 5100's ready to go, and the AAL arrived today from ToyTec. A couple quick questions for the suspension pro's. I take it the longer part of the spring goes towards the rear of the truck,(you can tell I am new at this)...And if we swap out the base model front coils , and install a set of late model TRD Off Road coils with the 5100's,should we account for the springs giving any additional lift over the stock coils ? We are going to be adding a brush guard, but don't want over 2.5 lift total. Thanks again,better to ask first and do it right. Albert
Old 11-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #7

Army:
Thanks, I called them up, very helpful. There were no instructions included, but easy to download from the website. The short part goes to the front, and the instructions are detailed enough I think we can live through the install,not a big deal. Thank you again for the help.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #8

Army:
Alright, the truck is done for now, and first I would like to thank everyone for their advice and pointing me in the right direction, Toytec and DSMS for their great service. We ended up with a Toytec 2 " AAL for the rear with a set of 5100's. The front got a set of TRD Off Road coils and a set of 5100's that were set on 2.5" , and glad we did. The front gave us exactly the 2.5 inches we wanted, but the rear,another story. You can see the weight we carry with the ARE cap and all of our equipment. From the ground to the bottom lip of the flare started at 34" and now it sits at 38" giving us a total of 4 inches so far. Hopefully it will settle a little over time. The ride is great now, at least on the highway, we will have to wait a while before hitting the woods. Here are a couple before and after pictures, now it might be needing a slightly larger tire in the near future,and a set of TRD wheels, brush guard,well you get the picture. Thanks again for the help.