Notices

small lift for 2011 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4

Old 06-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
nmhs is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
small lift for 2011 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4

Hello,
I am the owner of a 2011 tacoma SR5 dbl cab 4x4 and I would like to give it a small lift. I need around an 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance since I cut firewood. I wont use it for any kind of four wheel driving except for a few days of firewood cutting.

I have looked at all the options for toytec and I was wondering what everyone recommends.

Thanks,
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
5100s for the front. Search.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I was told that I should look at the toytec 3 inch blocks and a 1.5 inch block in the rear. This seems to be a little harsh for what I might be looking for. What do you think?

thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Quad D will become famous soon enough
Army: 4ID 1BCT, CET/PSD 2tours
Name: Quad
Quad D's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same truck, and am in the same position. I only need a small lift for now. Actually to clear the speed bumps in my neighborhood. I had no idea the 2011 4x4 dbl cab sat so low.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad D View Post
I've got the same truck, and am in the same position. I only need a small lift for now. Actually to clear the speed bumps in my neighborhood. I had no idea the 2011 4x4 dbl cab sat so low.
Cut 1 1/2" of your mudflaps
Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Quad D will become famous soon enough
Army: 4ID 1BCT, CET/PSD 2tours
Name: Quad
Quad D's Tacoma Gallery
I'm serious, these are some steep speed bumps. It's metal scraping, without a doubt, just as the front tires pass, no issue in the rear. Really don't want to jack the thread though. I'll do some more searching and start my own thread.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
TacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billyson
TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhs View Post
Hello,
I am the owner of a 2011 tacoma SR5 dbl cab 4x4 and I would like to give it a small lift. I need around an 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance since I cut firewood. I wont use it for any kind of four wheel driving except for a few days of firewood cutting.

I have looked at all the options for toytec and I was wondering what everyone recommends.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad D View Post
I was also in the same boat w/ my DCLB 4x4. I couldn't afford a fancy lift and wanted to maintain the stock feel for the first year or two, but needed something to help prevent the bottoming out at one of my favorite hiding spots. I went with a 2" spacer up front and a 1" block in the back.

Super happy with the results for now. No more bottoming out or scraping mudflaps, all with a nice stock feel...and installed for well under $3 bills. It's nice cause it is functional for what I do, as I won't be wheeling too crazy just yet in my brand new truck...cost way too damn much money for that right now.

This is not the end goal, however. A year or two down the road I will graduate to some 3" coils and a new leaf pack. Just trying to save for that...so the real fun can begin.

Here's how it looks with the spacer/block set up.

Hope this helps your decision either way.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I got 2 1/2" front and 2 3/4" rear with the OME kit , 885's no spacer and Dakars

Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBS View Post
I was also in the same boat w/ my DCLB 4x4. I couldn't afford a fancy lift and wanted to maintain the stock feel for the first year or two, but needed something to help prevent the bottoming out at one of my favorite hiding spots. I went with a 2" spacer up front and a 1" block in the back.

Super happy with the results for now. No more bottoming out or scraping mudflaps, all with a nice stock feel...and installed for well under $3 bills. It's nice cause it is functional for what I do, as I won't be wheeling too crazy just yet in my brand new truck...cost way too damn much money for that right now.

This is not the end goal, however. A year or two down the road I will graduate to some 3" coils and a new leaf pack. Just trying to save for that...so the real fun can begin.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Which spacers did you use?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I got 2 1/2" front and 2 3/4" rear with the OME kit , 885's no spacer and Dakars

Are you talking about spacers or springs? What is the OME and 885s?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you talking about spacers or springs? What is the OME and 885s?
springs. OME is old man emu. they make great springs. 885 is the spring number. for our trucks they have 884, 885, and 886.

for a double cab taco with stock front bumper you would want to probably go with the 885's. factory shocks will not do well with these so you would need to upgrade to the bilstein 5100's or the OME nitro shocks. the toytec site sells all this stuff. also check out wheelersoffroad.com

the cheapest / most effective route you could take would be to just get the billstein 5100 shocks and set them at the 1.75" setting to lift the front so that it would be level with the rear. since you said you will be hauling firewood I would reccomend getting an AAL (add a leaf) for the rear. this will lift the back 1.5" and allow you to carry a little more payload.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
for what you are wanting the lift for blocks will not do you well.

for just a few more dollars you can get much better parts by going with an AAL for the rear and upgrading either shocks or springs and shocks forthe front.

5100's for the front. its wise to get them for the rear too but you can always add them later if you cant afford them now
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

for the rear lift. ive had both the 1.5" single AAL and the 1.5" 3 leaf pack, I love the ride and feel of the 3 pack.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoaal.htm
Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBS View Post

What size tires are you running with this setup?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
for what you are wanting the lift for blocks will not do you well.

for just a few more dollars you can get much better parts by going with an AAL for the rear and upgrading either shocks or springs and shocks forthe front.

5100's for the front. its wise to get them for the rear too but you can always add them later if you cant afford them now
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

for the rear lift. ive had both the 1.5" single AAL and the 1.5" 3 leaf pack, I love the ride and feel of the 3 pack.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoaal.htm

Thanks for the info. If I go with the AAL for the rear will I need to raise the front more that 1.75? What are the differences between the front shocks and the spacers? I really like the idea of a better payload so I will probably go with a rear AAL. With this type of set up what size tires would you recommend? Once again, thanks for the info.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
you really wont gain any clearance unless you put on taller tires, in which case you will need more lift
Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for the info. If I go with the AAL for the rear will I need to raise the front more that 1.75? What are the differences between the front shocks and the spacers? I really like the idea of a better payload so I will probably go with a rear AAL. With this type of set up what size tires would you recommend? Once again, thanks for the info.
well do you want your truck to sit level without a load or sit level with a load? a 1.75" in the front and a 1.5" in the rear will pretty much keep the same stance as it has now, but just taller all around.
spacers and the 5100's basically do the same thing by preloading your springs. the 5100's just do it better by giving you better shocks giving you a better ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
you really wont gain any clearance unless you put on taller tires, in which case you will need more lift

why wouldnt he gain ground clearance? he wont gain any under the rear diff but thats about it...the frame and undercairage will sit up higher
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
TacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billyson
TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
What size tires are you running with this setup?

Thanks!
I have a 2" in the front and 1" in the back that was machined locally here in San Luis Obispo. I have their info if you are around here. You would probably get the same results from any setup of similar size from Toytec, etc.

Again, this is a temporary setup to fix an immediate problem...and the only thing I could really afford at the time. I also like how it maintained everything to as close to stock as possible (for the time being.)

In truth, the setup that zombie describes would be more ideal for a little more money, and I would have gone that route too, but a "little" more money might as well have been a lot more in my case. And it maintained the stock feel that I was looking for.

Oh and the tires are just the crappy stock dunlops at 265/65/17. Want to wear 'em out a bit, 'ya know.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Firefighter:
nmhs's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the advice. I will mull it over come back with some more questions.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
"Man Ho"
2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010Tacoma4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
2010Tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same in the front as others have suggested with the 5100's. I had the rear leaf TSB installed by the dealer which upgraded the factory 3 leaf spring to a 4 leaf.

I went ahead and purchased the 5100 4 shock package from "Downsouth" '''they were the best price when I was shopping. They are set @ 1.75
Downsouth Motorsports - Click Here

After the lift I was able to fit a 265/75/R16 (31.5 x 10.5) tire with no rubbing and the truck sits nice and level when towing my boat. I am really happy with the way it rides....drives straight with no vibrations. Installing the 5100's did require an alignment afterwards.