Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ToyTec Lifts

Notices

Toytec ULK vs. Icon Stage 1 (really focusing on Icon)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
SAIRS [OP] SAIRS is offline
Senior Member
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
Joined: Sep 2010, #42996
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 747
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec ULK vs. Icon Stage 1 (really focusing on Icon)


Here are some questions that I have struggled to find answers too, or just want to get people's take on these products that have actually experienced these products

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58899&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58835&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

I will be buying a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab Long bed with the basic TRD Sport package around January. I am looking into different lift options. I have had my eye on the Toytec Ultimate lift kit with the Dakar leaf pack, but I am getting more interested in the Icon Stage 1 kit.

Many people say the Toytec ULK is a good lift and are happy with it, but those with Icon sound like they have a freakin orgasm when they talk about the ride quality. Is there a real difference between the ride of the Toytec ULK andIcon Stage 1?

I am not planning on doing crazy off roading, but I plan on taking it on dirt roads and trails. I am looking for a 2.5 to 3 inch lift and plan on running285/65/18 tires. I want the best suspension I can get as far as ride and reliability goes with a 2.5-3 inch lift. I see myself loading the bed with scuba gear, which can start getting heavy once you start adding air tanks for several of my friends, not to mention the other gear and equipment. Potentially, I could also have a snowmobile or two to pull on a trailer or even in the back of the truck bed.

Price range, I am willing to spend approximately $2500-3000 for the suspension (including UCA's and the leaf pack), but I don’t want to buy overly unnecessary products.

That was the background and goals....here are the questions:

1) On the Stage 1 Icon liftkit, Toytec offers the Extended Travel coilover as an option. Is Extended Travel the same as the long travel I read about on the forums here at TacomaWorld? With the Extended Travel option, what exactly am I getting? Is the shock able to take a larger jolt if a nasty speed bump sneaks up on you or is more about keeping the tires in constant contact with the ground on very technical trails?

2) With the Extended Travel on the Icon, is the Stage 1 kit all I really need (in addition to UCA's ofcourse) or do I need to get into other modifications (shims diff drop ect)?

3) I want to make sure the leaf pack in the back is done right the first time I modify it. The 2012 DoubleCab Longbed Sport comes with a 4 pack. I am NOT planning on putting a shell on the truck, I just want the truck to be ready to handle whatever I need it to do, when I need to do it. I am not planning on driving with constant weight in the back. I am planning on replacing the stock with a strong leaf pack likeDakar. Am I going overkill with replacing the leaf pack or will the Add a leafbe sufficient (again, I want to have the most comfortable ride, with a strong sturdy suspension that I don’t want to worry about sagging). I have heard ofguys having a bed that sticks up high in the air (being ass high and I don’twant homosexual dudes to get the wrong idea about me and give them hope) after replacing the leaf springs. I know you can remove individual leafs in the leafpacks, but is this really necessary? Do I have to drive around with some salt bags in the back for a while to get it to settle so it is more level or is this even an issue? Also, Toytec doesn’t include the Dakar leaf pack as an upgrade on the Icon Stage 1 kit for the rear option. Is there a compatibility reason for this?

4) Toytec has an IVD corrosion coating option for an additional $100 on the Stage 1 kit. Being in Utah, we have salt on the roads during the snowy months. I want to protect the suspension so is this the right direction to take or are we talking about something different?

5) Will the Lower RacingUCA’s work or do I have to go with Total Chaos UCA’s to be compatible with Icon?

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rcfreak201's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2010, #40660
Gender: Guy
Posts: 7,221
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRS View Post
Here are some questions that I have struggled to find answers too, or just want to get people's take on these products that have actually experienced these products

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58899&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58835&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

I will be buying a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab Long bed with the basic TRD Sport package around January. I am looking into different lift options. I have had my eye on the Toytec Ultimate lift kit with the Dakar leaf pack, but I am getting more interested in the Icon Stage 1 kit.

Many people say the Toytec ULK is a good lift and are happy with it, but those with Icon sound like they have a freakin orgasm when they talk about the ride quality. Is there a real difference between the ride of the Toytec ULK andIcon Stage 1?

I am not planning on doing crazy off roading, but I plan on taking it on dirt roads and trails. I am looking for a 2.5 to 3 inch lift and plan on running285/65/18 tires. I want the best suspension I can get as far as ride and reliability goes with a 2.5-3 inch lift. I see myself loading the bed with scuba gear, which can start getting heavy once you start adding air tanks for several of my friends, not to mention the other gear and equipment. Potentially, I could also have a snowmobile or two to pull on a trailer or even in the back of the truck bed.

Price range, I am willing to spend approximately $2500-3000 for the suspension (including UCA's and the leaf pack), but I don’t want to buy overly unnecessary products.

That was the background and goals....here are the questions:

1) On the Stage 1 Icon liftkit, Toytec offers the Extended Travel coilover as an option. Is Extended Travel the same as the long travel I read about on the forums here at TacomaWorld? With the Extended Travel option, what exactly am I getting? Is the shock able to take a larger jolt if a nasty speed bump sneaks up on you or is more about keeping the tires in constant contact with the ground on very technical trails?
Long travel is not the same, long travel is longer LCAs, UCAs and shocks, the extended travel shock just replaces the stock strut. The icons can pretty much take anything you throw at them, you will probably bend a spindle or another weak stock part before you "break" those.
2) With the Extended Travel on the Icon, is the Stage 1 kit all I really need (in addition to UCA's ofcourse) or do I need to get into other modifications (shims diff drop ect)?
are you getting a 2WD or 4WD? with a 4WD you probably dont wanna go more than 3" otherwise you will start destroying your Cv boots. with 2.5" of lift the UCAs arent necessary but with 3" and above you should get them.

3) I want to make sure the leaf pack in the back is done right the first time I modify it. The 2012 DoubleCab Longbed Sport comes with a 4 pack. I am NOT planning on putting a shell on the truck, I just want the truck to be ready to handle whatever I need it to do, when I need to do it. I am not planning on driving with constant weight in the back. I am planning on replacing the stock with a strong leaf pack likeDakar. Am I going overkill with replacing the leaf pack or will the Add a leafbe sufficient (again, I want to have the most comfortable ride, with a strong sturdy suspension that I don’t want to worry about sagging). I have heard ofguys having a bed that sticks up high in the air (being ass high and I don’twant homosexual dudes to get the wrong idea about me and give them hope) after replacing the leaf springs. I know you can remove individual leafs in the leafpacks, but is this really necessary? Do I have to drive around with some salt bags in the back for a while to get it to settle so it is more level or is this even an issue? Also, Toytec doesn’t include the Dakar leaf pack as an upgrade on the Icon Stage 1 kit for the rear option. Is there a compatibility reason for this?
Lol, a whole new leaf pack will definitely be better than an AAL. i personally dont know much about them but i know All Pro makes great leafs, they have a standard duty pack which is 3" and a heavy duty pack which is 4", i suggest the standard if your not always going to have weight like a shell etc
4) Toytec has an IVD corrosion coating option for an additional $100 on the Stage 1 kit. Being in Utah, we have salt on the roads during the snowy months. I want to protect the suspension so is this the right direction to take or are we talking about something different?
not sure
5) Will the Lower RacingUCA’s work or do I have to go with Total Chaos UCA’s to be compatible with Icon?
yes the light racing UCAs will work, so will total chaos, camburg, all pro, DSM, built right. they will all work. the shocks dont have anything to do with the UCAs
my replies are in red, thats all i know about the stuff you asked, i would go for the icons over the toytec lift! hopefully others will chime in, goodluck man!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
SAIRS [OP] SAIRS is offline
Senior Member
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
Joined: Sep 2010, #42996
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 747
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
my replies are in red, thats all i know about the stuff you asked, i would go for the icons over the toytec lift! hopefully others will chime in, goodluck man!

Thanks for the reply Krish. I am going for a 4x4. Thats the only way to go in Utah. I dont plan on going over 3 inches at all. to many other things to worry about. I want to make sure I'm not setting the shocks to be at their limit either.

Love to hear others perspectives on this too! I emailed the thread link to Toytec. Hope to hear from them. I want to go with the best suspension available, especially since I am single and dont need to sell the idea of the expense to the Mrs. at this point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rcfreak201's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2010, #40660
Gender: Guy
Posts: 7,221
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRS View Post
Thanks for the reply Krish. I am going for a 4x4. Thats the only way to go in Utah. I dont plan on going over 3 inches at all. to many other things to worry about. I want to make sure I'm not setting the shocks to be at their limit either.

Love to hear others perspectives on this too! I emailed the thread link to Toytec. Hope to hear from them. I want to go with the best suspension available, especially since I am single and dont need to sell the idea of the expense to the Mrs. at this point.
nice, then getting the icons and setting them at around 2.5" would be your best bet. they will ride nicely and wont put too much stress on the other components
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Only from the waist down.
nubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
nubbs's Avatar
Name: Reverend
Joined: Sep 2011, #62940
Location: Fontana, Ca
Gender: Dude
Posts: 1,246
nubbs's Tacoma Gallery
The Stage 1 kit with the options you refer to is considered a mid travel kit. In stock form you front travel is first limited by your upper control arm. The extended shock option requires the UCA option which uses a spherical bearing rather than a balljoint, allowing for a greater range of motion. Now, you would likely set your ride height nearly the same if you were looking only to put larger tires on or if you wanted larger tires and increased off-road capability. With this in mind the mind travel kit doesn't really add any up travel, but does allow further droop in your suspension, because it has over come the restraints of the upper ball joint. As all shocks are designed to perform throughout a certain range in their stroke, the extended travel shocks will account for the additional down travel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Only from the waist down.
nubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shednubbs is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
nubbs's Avatar
Name: Reverend
Joined: Sep 2011, #62940
Location: Fontana, Ca
Gender: Dude
Posts: 1,246
nubbs's Tacoma Gallery
Also for your rear end desires, you may want to first consider the off-road capabilities of a pack, along with their on road ride quality. Be careful not to get something that is too rigid as this will make ride quality on road poor. Load and towing capabities should be consided last as you can easily pick up an airbag assist kit for about $250. When you want to load down, swing by the gas station and fill em to your liking, when you hit the dirt air down. Its about the closest you can get to the best of both worlds. All this is assuming that you fork up the $ for the extended travel kit. If you dont, then I say just run a block and keep the nice factory ride quality in the rear.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Posibly Icon stage 2 ????? Sabre 2nd Gen. Tacomas 18 03-04-2014 07:58 AM
ICON Stage 2 What else do I need???? MikCad Suspension 14 12-03-2011 12:05 PM
who all has a stage 2 or 3 icon lift? tskr11 1st Gen. Tacomas 8 04-21-2011 01:19 PM
Towing with Icon Stage 2 LVtaco Towing 0 03-03-2011 08:09 PM
ICON Stage 2? Shawneily Suspension 2 06-23-2010 08:36 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.