Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ToyTec Lifts

Notices

Rear Bilstein 5100 leakage @ 3k miles

Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #21
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner316 View Post
[/COLOR][/URL] "

Does anybody else's Bilsteins look like this?
I got about 8k from my 5100's before the drivers side spewed all over the place. No more Billies for me.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Over 30k on mine before they puked. I was amazed they lasted so long especially sinse they were my limit straps (ordered them to short).
Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
(ordered them to short).
^This
Old 05-20-2014, 03:21 AM   #25
JeeperBC is on a distinguished road
JeeperBC's Tacoma Gallery
Leaky in BC

Just bought/had installed 4 Bilstein 5100's less than 3 weeks ago so likely less than 500km. Also new coils all around - 2" lift. This morning there was a 10" oil spot on the driveway under the right front shock, and oil all over the bottom half (everything below the boot). No offroad (yet), no hard bumps, only good pavement.
Will be calling the supplier when they open later today. Sure hope they warranty it.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #26
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperBC View Post
Just bought/had installed 4 Bilstein 5100's less than 3 weeks ago so likely less than 500km. Also new coils all around - 2" lift. This morning there was a 10" oil spot on the driveway under the right front shock, and oil all over the bottom half (everything below the boot). No offroad (yet), no hard bumps, only good pavement.
Will be calling the supplier when they open later today. Sure hope they warranty it.
Thats annoying. So far I have 20k on mine. No issues yet. Crossing fingers for you warranty claim.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #27
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Dayum, had set on 05 AC and put over 40k on them with no issues, were still dry when truck traded in for 08 RC in 2011. Have another set of same ones bought new on the 08 with about 20k or so on them and all are dry (knocks on wood). Not sure how anyone can claim that much oil loss would be a normal thing and keep a straight face. Leaking shocks are doomed shocks. Some dry accumulation might be expected over the course of 50k+ but wet shit like in the pics I just can't accept as "normal". Kinda like Toyota saying some of the obvious problems with driveline vibes and such are normal. NOT..........
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Thats annoying. So far I have 20k on mine. No issues yet. Crossing fingers for you warranty claim.
Annoying: pushing the understatement category. And sorry for the bad information, wasn't 10". I just went outside and measured... over 13" circle of oil + a bunch of 1" - 2"ers as I parked throughout the day.
Called the supplier this morning and ordered/paid for a new shock. I'll have to ship back the leaker before they can make a warranty determination. Awww, nuts.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #29
An update

Just an update to my earlier post. I've just heard from my Bilstein shocks supplier that my leaky shock has been approved for warranty and I will be reimbursed. No other problems with the shocks. They ride smooth and I can't wait to abuse them.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #30
4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alan
4OYOTER's Tacoma Gallery
Update on mine: I've now had two of these things warrantied through Toytec. I personally won't ever buy 5100s again. It's just a hassle to go through the warranty process and pay the $30 whatever dollars in shipping fees.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #31
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine on for about 25k miles and the rear passenger 5100 blew crap everywhere. No hard wheeling ever, only took them offroad twice. I was going to try to get warranty replacement but the lower shock bolt was seized in and I had to cut the shock off. Figured it wasn't worth my time to try to get a new one after that.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #32
weezer will become famous soon enough

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
yikes!!! over 40k on mine with no issues. i hope mine don't crap out. if they do what is a good shock to replace them with?

i still have the stock shocks. they aren't the yellow bilsteins. they are just stock black shocks. will those work with OME 883 front lifting springs?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #33
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Wow !! After reading through this whole thread I am starting to wonder if going with the Bilsteins was a good idea . I have had mine on for about 6000 miles give or take . I do have my rears that have some oil leaking from the top and seeping around where the boot is zip tide to the shock. I have read Yota Dan explain that Bilsteins are designed with a weeping seal to help keep the seal from drying out. Not sure if that's what mine is doing or if they are getting ready to go out. I always thought and heard that Bilstein are the best. I am really beginning to wonder . I am very pleased with the ride and the way it leveled my truck. Not sure what to think at this point.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #34
EdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdinAthens is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
EdinAthens's Tacoma Gallery
My right rear 5100 is leaking a lot. 15,000 miles on them and bought from Toytec.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #35
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah so after submitting my last post. I decided to go out to my truck and cut the zip ties and lift the boot to investigate. As soon as I cut the zip ties oil ran down the shock on both shocks. So I decided to put my stock yellow Bilstein back on for now . They only had 16000 miles on them and in good shape . I will have to see if wheelers off road will warranty them . I am worried about my front 5100's . How many on here running front 5100's have had them leak ?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #36
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
My front passenger 5100 is leaking, was told it was normal but it was enough oil to cause dirt to stick to the shock when the drivers side is clean.
Gonna replace them with either OME or Sway-A-Way suspension up front.

I'm happy with my 5150's on the rear though.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4OYOTER View Post
I have had my Toytec lift installed for about 3 months and 3k miles. I recently developed an annoying squeak sound from the back of the truck and upon inspection I found one of my new Bilsteins to look like this. The Bilstein warranty refers me to return to the place of purchase. Upon contacting Toytec and sending these same pictures, they responded by saying:

"Unfortunately Bilstein will not warranty these from what I can see in the pictures. The amount of oil on the shocks is normal according to Bilstein. Here is a link describing their warranty policies. http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/search-service/warranty.html "

Does anybody else's Bilsteins look like this?
Yes mine started to leak. Not as bad as yours but from what I have read they would have. So what was the out come with yours ? What did you end up going with ?