Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ToyTec Lifts

Notices

OME vs TAC3-05

Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
grady77 is on a distinguished road
grady77's Tacoma Gallery
OME vs TAC3-05

For my 2008 Tacoma 2wd PreRunner Access Cab TRD Off Road, I'm interested in the following ToyTec kits:

TAC3-05: 3" FRONT: top plate spacer that uses the factory struts/springs. REAR: 2" ToyTec add-a-leafs.

BK0510: ~2.5" lift using FRONT: Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks & 620lb Eibach/Toytec springs and REAR: 2" Add-A-Leaf + Bilstein 5100 shocks.

TTHA-CK: Full 3" lift using all of the BK0510 components plus a 1/2" front top plate spacer and various bits of hardware (and comes preassembled.)

OME-TAK: Full 3" w/ top spacer. Complete Old Man Emu suspension. FRONT: OME 90000 sport shocks, 884/885 OME coils. REAR: OME N182 shocks and ToyTec 2" add-a-leafs.

Questions-
My goal is to fit 285/65/18 or 285/70/18 tires (on deeper offset rims) without trimming any plastic other than the mud guards. I want the ride to be smooth. I rarely off road. Any suggestions on which kit to get? Does the OME kit get a full 3" up front if I have an access cab and use the 855 coils?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
grady77's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick responces! OME sounds like the way to go.
I've got some calls to make. Still looking for input from anyone with the billy setup.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
i have billys up front and i put OME 885 springs on them and i love the billys with the ome springs before the ome springs the billys were kinda ok not great if i was to do it again i would have just got the entire OME set up.......youll want 885 springs and top plate spacer for 3in lift and awesome ride
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Desert Rat is on a distinguished road

Desert Rat's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, 885s here as well (but no spacers).

Go full OME and also replace the leafpack completely with the Dakars.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
grady77's Tacoma Gallery
I finally talked to a knowledgable person at ToyTec. They insisted the Bilstein 5100 kit with Eibach coils and a top-plate spacer would be smoother than the Old Man Emu kit. Anyone able to weigh in?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec seems to push the Eibachs and 5100 combo because they told me the same thing. I am still trying to decide Eibach or OME.

I know this post doesn't help out the op but I guess its my way of subscribing to the thread.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Desert Rat is on a distinguished road

Desert Rat's Tacoma Gallery
Smoother=not as good off-road. Spacers=not as good off-road.

The full OME setup is much stiffer than stock without being harsh...it was *exactly* what I was hoping for...but my goal was greatly improved capability on Utah trails. YMMV.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
grady77's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I was speaking of the TTHA-CK kit. And thanks for the correction, original post edited.

Desert Rat: Thanks for your 2 cents. This build is for maximum comfort on the pavement and over potholes. The truck lives in suburbia 95% of its life.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
OP, any plans for a cap? Some say those Daks can be a little stiff without a load (I tend to agree).
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
285/70r17 with no plastic trimming is not possible. In fact I would recommend the top plat spacer lift because it limits uptravel and thats the only eay you sre gonna avoid cutting plastic.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
grady77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBb View Post
OP, any plans for a cap? Some say those Daks can be a little stiff without a load (I tend to agree).
cap?
The Dakar leafs were never an option since they cost so much and I want the truck level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
285/70r17 with no plastic trimming is not possible. In fact I would recommend the top plat spacer lift because it limits uptravel and thats the only eay you sre gonna avoid cutting plastic.
Thank for the reality check and good top plate spacer tip. I'll report back what the biggest tire I could stuff under there was and if I had to eliminate more than just the mud flap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
did u see this poll? I just found the thread myself http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/46150-ome-lift-kit-vs-toytec-ultimate-coilover-kit.html
That bilstein kit is a little different but I'm reading through the 11 pages anyhow. Good read.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grady77 View Post
cap?
The Dakar leafs were never an option since they cost so much and I want the truck level.
Cap = topper.

I just saw the suggestions for the Daks and didn't think they would be best for someone adamant about getting a smooth ride. FWIW, I agree with Brock (AAL is what I got).

Quote:
Ome and a progressive aal if possible, or the dakars....never heard anything bad about ome.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #15

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I just threw it out there as an option.......Im currently breaking in an icon progressive AAL and like it better than the single toytec I had.
...I'm running Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL. I've never regretted spending the extra $ on it.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
grady77's Tacoma Gallery
Progressive AAL sounds legit, I'll keep it in mind for a future upgrade. Really leaning on a full OME kit w/ 884 springs w/ .5" top plate spacer + 2" ToyTec AAL. Just going to spend a few more hours trying to figure out the valve rates on billys vs ome shocks then pull a trigger.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
grady77's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE/REVIEW:
I ended up with:
Kit: ---TTHA-CK--- Full 3" lift using all of the BK0510 components plus a 1/2" front top plate spacer and various bits of hardware (and comes preassembled.)
Wheels: 18" XD series XD796 Revolver
Tires: 285/60R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain

Very happy with this kit. Ride is very firm/stiff IF you go over rough bumps and offroad. In the city it is just as comfortable as stock. Perfect for old me like me (46yrs old.) There is no nose dip during hard breaking and no body roll in turns. I really can't tell it isn't stock until I hit a speedbump at 15mph.
Full review and more pics will be posted soon. Thank you to JonnyBb, wolfpack, desert rat, and the dudes at Toytec that know their products (the chick has no idea and wasn't helpful.)
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
randytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shed
randytho's Tacoma Gallery
I like the stance on that. I am looking at the TTHA-CK and the BK0510 and trying to figure out why the price difference. Looks like the main difference is the Ubolts, front caps and bushings, and the pinion angle shims? The only thing that seems necessary is the pinion angle shims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady77 View Post
UPDATE/REVIEW:
I ended up with:
Kit: ---TTHA-CK--- Full 3" lift using all of the BK0510 components plus a 1/2" front top plate spacer and various bits of hardware (and comes preassembled.)
Wheels: 18" XD series XD796 Revolver
Tires: 285/60R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain

Very happy with this kit. Ride is very firm/stiff IF you go over rough bumps and offroad. In the city it is just as comfortable as stock. Perfect for old me like me (46yrs old.) There is no nose dip during hard breaking and no body roll in turns. I really can't tell it isn't stock until I hit a speedbump at 15mph.
Full review and more pics will be posted soon. Thank you to JonnyBb, wolfpack, desert rat, and the dudes at Toytec that know their products (the chick has no idea and wasn't helpful.)
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #19
grady77's Tacoma Gallery
^ call Toytech. They will be able to answer that question.

I'm updating my full review again. 1 year later I am not that happy with how stiff the ride is but it's still the best looking kit I've seen.