Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ToyTec Lifts

Notices

Offroading, adding weight, but don't want much lift...

Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
trailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Michael
trailotter's Tacoma Gallery
Question Offroading, adding weight, but don't want much lift...

I have a new 2012 Tacoma DCSB Sport that I'm in the process of outfitting for my basic needs. I don't do any hardcore wheeling (no locking diff), but I will be getting offroad, class 3 or 4 trails. I do tow stuff occasionally.

I don't want much lift, maybe an inch. I'm still running 30.6" tires (new 265x70x16 Michelins, so they'll be on there awhile). The sport is a tad "mushy" I think for offroad. My main concern is that I'm adding weight:

Undercover mount - 38 lbs
Warn VR8000-s - 62 lbs
Front skid - 50 lbs
Transfercase skid - 28 lbs
Transmission skid - 10 lbs
Sliders - 120 lbs

I figure most of that weight will be over front axle, about 250 lbs or so. I was looking at getting bilstein 5100's all around, but am guessing that the stock coils will not be up to the task. Am I right?

With 5100's all around, what coils would you recommend in my situation? (If stock isn't appropriate) Is there a specific kit you'd steer me to?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest Eibach coils for the front , they are a 600 lb spring rate IIRC , and will provide 1.6" of lift with the billies at zero

The billies could be set at .85 if you need more lift
Old 07-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
^X2 and those are some beefy sliders at 120lbs
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
trailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Michael
trailotter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
^X2 and those are some beefy sliders at 120lbs
Yeah, these: https://www.allprooffroad.com/05taco...omarocksliders

I've been reading a lot since I'm a noob and I know I can't be the first in this situation, but most folks go for a higher lift. I'm armoring since I do want to offroad, but want the stock height (plus maybe 1" in front), since 95% of my driving is commuting. Since ground clearance is achieved by larger tires and I'm not doing that, makes no sense to jack my taco. Around these parts I see lots of sky high trucks w/o skids, sliders, or winches, so for show only.

Should I forget about the 5100's and just go straight OME? I'm looking for the best ride with the least amount of compromise (as in reduction of travel).