Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ToyTec Lifts

Notices

Ext Travel Icon Possibilities

Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Ext Travel Icon Possibilities

I'm looking for a setup that would suit moderate off road use while still functioning as a daily driver for a 2012 4x4 Tacoma. I want a mid travel set up that I can build as I go, with a full 3” of lift in the front and 1.5 in the rear with a perfectly level stance. I have prior experience with Toytec and your spacer lifts on my previous 2006 Taco. I'm looking at buying an extended travel coil over, such as the Icons. My question is, will I have to run uni-ball UCA’s to account for the extra travel, or can I run the C/O with less pre-load so the C/O won’t over travel and buy uni-ball UCA’s later? I’ve also had my eye on the Ultimate lift kit with the adjustable Bilstiens. I really like the ultimate lift kit, what it includes, and Bilstein C/O ; I do not like how the shock cannot be rebuilt. But, looking at what you get with the Bilstien, I think it would be a better to pay a little more and get the beefier 2.5 inch C/O. Lastly, can I purchase the Ultimate Lift Kit and swap out the Bilstien C/O's for the Icons and pay the difference? I really like what you get with the Ultimate kit but I want that that heavy duty 2.5 inch C/O. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtaco06 View Post
I'm looking for a setup that would suit moderate off road use while still functioning as a daily driver for a 2012 4x4 Tacoma. I want a mid travel set up that I can build as I go, with a full 3” of lift in the front and 1.5 in the rear with a perfectly level stance. I have prior experience with Toytec and your spacer lifts on my previous 2006 Taco. I'm looking at buying an extended travel coil over, such as the Icons. My question is, will I have to run uni-ball UCA’s to account for the extra travel, or can I run the C/O with less pre-load so the C/O won’t over travel and buy uni-ball UCA’s later? I’ve also had my eye on the Ultimate lift kit with the adjustable Bilstiens. I really like the ultimate lift kit, what it includes, and Bilstein C/O ; I do not like how the shock cannot be rebuilt. But, looking at what you get with the Bilstien, I think it would be a better to pay a little more and get the beefier 2.5 inch C/O. Lastly, can I purchase the Ultimate Lift Kit and swap out the Bilstien C/O's for the Icons and pay the difference? I really like what you get with the Ultimate kit but I want that that heavy duty 2.5 inch C/O. Thanks for any help.
You would have to ask toytec if they will sub in a different coilover. If you go up to 2.5" and over you will need to run different UCA's. The alignment will never be good if you don't. Icon and King both make ext adj coilovers now.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I'm aware of the alignment issues; I had a 3 inch spacer lift on my old 06 and didn't run an aftermarket UCA in the past. I never had any issues with getting it close to spec, but it was never spot on and would wonder around on the interstate. I do plan on upgrading to a 1.25" uni-ball UCA. I can deal with the alignment issues until I upgrade, but will the ext travel bind up stock UCA's or cause other issues, even if I ran less preload on the C/O?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Holy small font batman...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Just piece it together.. and yes you need a UCA for an extended travel coilover
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
4Runner Abuser
steezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
steezemcqueen's Tacoma Gallery
What exactly do you use your truck for? If its mostly a daily driver/weekend wheeler, i think the Bilsteins would be a better option. Icon's are awesome but they need to be rebuilt every so often and if you aren't using them to their full potential, i don't really see the point.

5100's cant be rebuilt but you can just replace them when needed and still probably be cheaper than the cost of rebuilding a different C/O

The extended travel coilovers will need UCA's since the shocks are longer. The preload on the coil won't affect that.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
This. If your 2006 wAndered and you didn't have aftermarket UCA's for a spacer lift - I would think this answer would be easy.
I understand one of the reasons for an aftermarket UCA is for alignment issues, I dealt with it on my 06. I'm perfectly okay with dealing with the wondering front end until I can afford Uni ball UCA's. I'm not worried about an alignment. I want to take advantage of the extra travel of the ext travel C/O the first time I buy. My question is if I run the coil over with less pre load, will it still bind the stock upper control arm at full droop, and when I finally get a set of uni-ball UCA's I can crank up the preload.

@ Steezemcqueen. I want an all around capable all mid-travel set up. That I can hit slows trails, occasional mud, and sand dunes. If I'm going to spend 800 bucks on the bilstiens, why not spend an additional $300 and get a beefier more capable 2.5 ext travel C/O. I want all I can get out of the IFS front end with out L/T. I don't need resis C/O's because I will probobly never abuse them hard enough too need the extra cooling from a resi. I want all the capability I can get with my needs and budget.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
You won't get the extra travel without UCAs.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
I understand I won't get the travel with out the UCA's, with what ever set up I go with will definetly upgrade to an after market UCA down the road. Will the stock upper control arms work ( not worried about alignments, I'm aware of the droop issues as well at getting the extra travel) with ext travel C/O work until I can afford a set of uni ball UCA's. If you tell me they don't work I need a technical reason why so I can weigh out my options, whether I can deal with it for a few months.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
4Runner Abuser
steezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
steezemcqueen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtaco06 View Post
I understand one of the reasons for an aftermarket UCA is for alignment issues, I dealt with it on my 06. I'm perfectly okay with dealing with the wondering front end until I can afford Uni ball UCA's. I'm not worried about an alignment. I want to take advantage of the extra travel of the ext travel C/O the first time I buy. My question is if I run the coil over with less pre load, will it still bind the stock upper control arm at full droop, and when I finally get a set of uni-ball UCA's I can crank up the preload.

@ Steezemcqueen. I want an all around capable all mid-travel set up. That I can hit slows trails, occasional mud, and sand dunes. If I'm going to spend 800 bucks on the bilstiens, why not spend an additional $300 and get a beefier more capable 2.5 ext travel C/O. I want all I can get out of the IFS front end with out L/T. I don't need resis C/O's because I will probobly never abuse them hard enough too need the extra cooling from a resi. I want all the capability I can get with my needs and budget.
Understandable. I don't use my truck in situations where the Icon's would really shine so not needing to rebuild the coilovers outweighed the performance increase the Icon's would have given me.

Like i said, the shocks in the Icon extended travel coilovers are longer which means you will need UCA's. If you do not do UCA's with the ext travels, you will bind the upper ball joints and possibly break them. The preload only controls the height of the suspension. It does not affect the travel.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
Thanks Steezemcqueen it's hard to make that call before you buy. I want to build a beast but not over do it for what I need out of the truck, but I definitely don't want to deal with buyers remorse. I'm not even sure if I need a 2.5 inch C/O, I just want to do it right the first time, and I'm definetly over spacer lifts.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
You can use the Ext. coil overs, but w/o the UCA you wont get the droop provided by the ext. travel. IF you also go to the full 3" w/o a UCA, yes you can get it into alignment, but Your gonna have very little down travel since your stock UCA balljoint will almost be maxed out at ride height and be your down travel limiter. That puts more stress on the joint at all times which can cause premature failure.

You can do it in stages and just not crank the ext. travel to the full 3" of lift untill you get UCA's, or just do it all at once, if your paying to have it put on, no sense in paying labor and alignment twice.

Like you said, Do it right the 1st time and you will be very happy. The 2.5" shock will help on those back roads. It wont fade and with a heavy bumper if will help control it better during those "oh shit" moments that will happen.

You Could do some Bilstein 5100's set to the 2.5" clip, but it wont have near as much dampening as the 2.5" shock.

Some Icon C/o's and Camburg or Total Chaos tube UCA's would be a very good start for ya.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Fully agree with above statement, i see no problem doing it in stages
Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Thanks for a straight answer as well as the good advice SDHQ. I've checked out your site in the past. I want to treat my new Tacoma a little nicer than my last, ( I feel sorry for the S.O.B. who bought it after me) but I still want a big ol' set of 2.5" C/O's for those types of situations. It is extremely hard to be patient, cause like your caption says "Cuz stock sucks" holds true.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
Thanks for everyones inputs on my question.