Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > ToyTec Lifts

Notices

Ultimate install howto

Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Ultimate install howto

I'm preparing to install this kit, or at least most of it, myself. I have a few questions before starting this endeavor. Starting with the following picture:

I have 8, approx 4.25", rings that I don't know what to do with.
Also, the two metal plates with the bolts on the far right of this picture: what are they for?

I didn't get the entire kit. I don't have longer u-bolts or a new center pin.
I also don't have many of the smaller parts, screws and washers as shown in this picture.

The coils did not come pre-assembled, so that's par for the course. A question on that: It looks to me that the ring used to adjust your shock settings bears the full weight of the compressed springs when installed. Sure, there is something between that ring and the actual spring, but it still rests on that little $0.01 piece of aluminum used to set your shocks. There is one piece I have not been able to piece together yet: the aluminum cylinder with the adjustable ring on threads. It's pictured in the assembled coils but I'm unsure how to assemble it correctly.

What am I missing?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm... the "two metal plates with the bolts on the far right of this picture" is the hardware to relocate the sway bar. *I think*

If you haven't already done so, try going to the toytec site here and just match pictures.

Hopefully someone with more experience can be of some better help.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtaco View Post
Hmm... the "two metal plates with the bolts on the far right of this picture" is the hardware to relocate the sway bar. *I think*

If you haven't already done so, try going to the toytec site here and just match pictures.

Hopefully someone with more experience can be of some better help.
Jup, you're right. That's to relocate the sway bar. I did just that: match pictures lol. I do have the diff. drop kits (front and rear) too, and know what's what.

Question about the coil assembly still stands. I'll keep looking.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The 8 rings are known as "Flat bearings", or "Pancake bearing" they go on top and on the bottom of each spring. 2 on the tops, 2 on the bottoms. Makes it more easy to adjust the CO's. Also, smear some grease on them before install.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FWIW, the names for those washers was given to me by an old hot rodder friend of mine. What the actual names are Im not sure.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
on idiot patrol ;)
I think I got it. The piece I was wondering about is the base plate for the spring that comes packaged with the 5100. It's for use with the stock spring only; see image:

The base that comes with the new coils is what confused me:

-- which brings up another question:

I was under the impression that the height could not be adjusted without taking the assembly apart and moving the shock indicator to 0.85 or 2.5 or whatever setting you wanted. With this new spring base, however, and the spanner wrenches, it appears you can adjust the lift without taking everything apart?????

If so, what should I set the shock height marker at? 0, 0.85, 1.75 or 2.5?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
on idiot patrol ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The 8 rings are known as "Flat bearings", or "Pancake bearing" they go on top and on the bottom of each spring. 2 on the tops, 2 on the bottoms. Makes it more easy to adjust the CO's. Also, smear some grease on them before install.
Awesome. Thanks. Yeah, I'll get some lithium grease for that.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
I think I got it. The piece I was wondering about is the base plate for the spring that comes packaged with the 5100. It's for use with the stock spring only; see image:

The base that comes with the new coils is what confused me:

-- which brings up another question:

I was under the impression that the height could not be adjusted without taking the assembly apart and moving the shock indicator to 0.85 or 2.5 or whatever setting you wanted. With this new spring base, however, and the spanner wrenches, it appears you can adjust the lift without taking everything apart?????

If so, what should I set the shock height marker at? 0, 0.85, 1.75 or 2.5?

Check with Toytec as to what height the collar should be set to.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
on idiot patrol ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Check with Toytec as to what height the collar should be set to.
I will, to be sure. However, playing with the parts here in my living room I was able to reproduce the exact look of the above pictured coils by keeping the market at 'stock' (0).
Old 06-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
I will, to be sure. However, playing with the parts here in my living room I was able to reproduce the exact look of the above pictured coils by keeping the market at 'stock' (0).
Yeah, but you wont be able to adjust the springs too much. I think they need to be set at the .85 or 1.75 setting.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
By the way, is there a particular order I need to keep in mind?
I believe the sway bar relocate should come before the coil install, but what else?
It really doesnt matter.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
on idiot patrol ;)
Holy hell .. 2.5hrs later the rear drivers side AAL and billstein are done. Oh, and that included a trip to Autozone with my neighbor lol.
It's 95F!!! Granted, the passenger side will go faster due to the learning curve, but I don't think I'll have enough time to start and finish the coilovers.\

I know I have to finish the whole axle. I'm taking a union break
Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Holy hell .. 2.5hrs later the rear drivers side AAL and billstein are done. Oh, and that included a trip to Autozone with my neighbor lol.
It's 95F!!! Granted, the passenger side will go faster due to the learning curve, but I don't think I'll have enough time to start and finish the coilovers.\

I know I have to finish the whole axle. I'm taking a union break
Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
on idiot patrol ;)
DONE with the rear.. holy shit. 101F when I picked the last tool up from my driveway.

lost 20lb lol. It looks higher. After I cool down and take a shower I'll measure the change for y'all.

Front suspension maybe on Wednesday; tomorrow is a busy work day for me