Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Road trip around the US

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
tacomazach [OP] tacomazach is offline
Senior Member
tacomazach has a spectacular aura abouttacomazach has a spectacular aura about
 
tacomazach's Avatar
Name: Zach
Joined: Jul 2010, #41045
Location: Mississippi
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 710
tacomazach's Tacoma Gallery
Road trip around the US

I've started planning a road trip west from mississippi. I've never really been west of the mississippi river so I want to see the country. I'd like to make the trip between thanksgiving and Christmas. It's highly doubtful I make the trip this year but hopefully at the end of 2012 or 2013. I'm trying to get all my stops down and see as much as possible. Ya'll are from all over. What sites do I need to plan into my trip? I want to go to yellowstone and the grand canyon. I'd also like to see the california coast just not sure where on the coast. What's ya'lls input?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Guerrilla's Avatar
Navy:
Name: 00
Joined: Apr 2013, #102807
Location: Coast to Coast
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,678
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't done your road trip yet. Deff go to The Grand Canyon.. Sedona, Sequoia National forest, if you want to see the California coast start in San Diego and take the Pacific Coast Highway north and start driving (checkout San Fran and go to Alcatraz), Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe area.. Thats some for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
tacomazach [OP] tacomazach is offline
Senior Member
tacomazach has a spectacular aura abouttacomazach has a spectacular aura about
 
tacomazach's Avatar
Name: Zach
Joined: Jul 2010, #41045
Location: Mississippi
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 710
tacomazach's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! thanks man. I made a small trip last year across southern us and hoping for a longer trip next year or so. All those are great places to start
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Senior Member
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold
 
eric3187's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2012, #80723
Gender: Male
Posts: 599
eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
i am on this trip now, started in texas, have been new mexico-arizona-utah-nevada-california-oregon-washington.

some things i really enjoyed along the way

New Mexico- White Sands National Monument (buy a disc/sled, i did not and regret it)

Arizona- Tombstone was pretty cool to see
Arizona- Grand Canyon for sure (if you want to do the skywalk, those f#ckers charge ya $20 to drive down the road before ya even get to the skywalk where im sure you have to pay again)
Utah-Moab, i didnt go on any major wheelin trails, just found a dirt road and 3 hours later found the end of it.
Utah-Valley of the Gods, camped here for one night, drank a ton of beer and watched the sun set while yelling nonsense to hear my echos since i was the only one around for 10 miles
Nevada-Hoover dam, just drove over it then took pictures from the bridge looking at it
I have a gambling problem so my suggestion is skip vegas.. i did not, and i lost quite a few tanks worth of gas haha

California-(i lived here for 2 years so i did a bit before this trip)
-Sequioa National Park
-Yosemite National Park
-Hearst Castle
-Big Sur
-San Fransisco

Oregon- Newport (Rogue Brewery, tour is at 3pm... can camp within walking distance at South Beach)
-Astoria to see the goonies house ha

i just got into washington this past day and it has been raining, and i am heading back into oregon tomorrow to meet some friend and her family that are going to portland.

average hotel cost is $115 i would say, Average camping spot at a campground is $20 Rest Stops are free(i sleep in rest stops when i can, some have WiFi too)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Oct 2009, #25015
Location: bay area, california
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,902
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i cant sleep at rest stops.

too many crazy folks at them. i live in San Francisco..and i've only had inappropriate questions asked of me at truck stops. scary.

glock-time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Guerrilla's Avatar
Navy:
Name: 00
Joined: Apr 2013, #102807
Location: Coast to Coast
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,678
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187 View Post
i am on this trip now, started in texas, have been new mexico-arizona-utah-nevada-california-oregon-washington.

some things i really enjoyed along the way

New Mexico- White Sands National Monument (buy a disc/sled, i did not and regret it)

Arizona- Tombstone was pretty cool to see
Arizona- Grand Canyon for sure (if you want to do the skywalk, those f#ckers charge ya $20 to drive down the road before ya even get to the skywalk where im sure you have to pay again)
Utah-Moab, i didnt go on any major wheelin trails, just found a dirt road and 3 hours later found the end of it.
Utah-Valley of the Gods, camped here for one night, drank a ton of beer and watched the sun set while yelling nonsense to hear my echos since i was the only one around for 10 miles
Nevada-Hoover dam, just drove over it then took pictures from the bridge looking at it
I have a gambling problem so my suggestion is skip vegas.. i did not, and i lost quite a few tanks worth of gas haha

California-(i lived here for 2 years so i did a bit before this trip)
-Sequioa National Park
-Yosemite National Park
-Hearst Castle
-Big Sur
-San Fransisco

Oregon- Newport (Rogue Brewery, tour is at 3pm... can camp within walking distance at South Beach)
-Astoria to see the goonies house ha

i just got into washington this past day and it has been raining, and i am heading back into oregon tomorrow to meet some friend and her family that are going to portland.

average hotel cost is $115 i would say, Average camping spot at a campground is $20 Rest Stops are free(i sleep in rest stops when i can, some have WiFi too)
Sounds like an epic road trip journey! I would be interested in pickin your brain after you're finished, bc I plan on doing a cross country journey. Also sounds like you're seeing some awesome places.. Pretty cool you dropped by "The Goonies" house haha, one of my all time favorite movies, saw it in the theatre. How long have you been on the road now and how long are you planning on doing your trip? Be safe have fun man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i cant sleep at rest stops.

too many crazy folks at them. i live in San Francisco..and i've only had inappropriate questions asked of me at truck stops. scary.

glock-time.
I'm like you, I couldn't do the rest stop sleeping.. Haha the SF inappropriate questions comment haha.. Yes Glock-time
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
HomerTaco's Avatar
Name: Craig
Joined: Mar 2010, #34129
Location: Bucks County Pa.
Gender: Dude
Posts: 25,306
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i cant sleep at rest stops.

too many crazy folks at them. i live in San Francisco..and i've only had inappropriate questions asked of me at truck stops. scary.

glock-time.
Agreed on the Glock statement...

I crashed at rest stops all the time on solo road trips - even set up my RTT at a few on the way home from Moab earlier this month.

feel better doing it w/ a .45
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Guerrilla's Avatar
Navy:
Name: 00
Joined: Apr 2013, #102807
Location: Coast to Coast
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,678
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
I just thought how awesome it would be for those of us interested in doing these cross country journeys etc. And being TW members, if we could get together enough network of "trust worthy" TW members through out the country willing to allow us a place to crash while were in that particular area and maybe even point us in some good areas of interest in the area to see etc..
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
HomerTaco's Avatar
Name: Craig
Joined: Mar 2010, #34129
Location: Bucks County Pa.
Gender: Dude
Posts: 25,306
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
I just thought how awesome it would be for those of us interested in doing these cross country journeys etc. And being TW members, if we could get together enough network of "trust worthy" TW members through out the country willing to allow us a place to crash while were in that particular area and maybe even point us in some good areas of interest in the area to see etc..
Easy to do - post up a road trip thread like this!
I ended up getting together with a few TW folks in other areas of the country for both of my last two cross country trips.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Senior Member
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold
 
eric3187's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2012, #80723
Gender: Male
Posts: 599
eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Sounds like an epic road trip journey! I would be interested in pickin your brain after you're finished, bc I plan on doing a cross country journey. Also sounds like you're seeing some awesome places.. Pretty cool you dropped by "The Goonies" house haha, one of my all time favorite movies, saw it in the theatre. How long have you been on the road now and how long are you planning on doing your trip? Be safe have fun man.



I'm like you, I couldn't do the rest stop sleeping.. Haha the SF inappropriate questions comment haha.. Yes Glock-time

been on the road 5+ weeks now, original plan was to continue until the end of the year, but i am way ahead of schedule and i bought a nice camera which set me back a bit, so ill probably be on the road until September,then just got to find some work to pay off any debt ill have at the end and hopefully be going back to school in the spring time for photography. Had i never started this trip, i would have never found how much i like photography and not wanted to go back to school. so it is benefiting me in numerous ways.

any questions ya have, just shoot me a PM, i could talk for hours about the trip ha
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Senior Member
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Buckoma's Avatar
Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Joined: Jan 2013, #96125
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 639
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
For anyone else taking an extended road trip west, I would second the Oregon coast around Newport... neat town, cool sights, plenty to do. And the Redwoods north of San Fran are mind boggling.

The Four Corners area is a goldmine for outdoor trails and exploring.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
Member
Taco2112 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Joined: May 2013, #103691
Location: Pittsburgh
Gender: Male
Posts: 42
Taco2112's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I am planning for my vacation next year planning on taking 2 weeks in April and driving cross country. From Pittsburgh to Las Vegas take 3 days out see the whole country. I am thinking about taking i70 or i80 out hitting i15 into Vegas stay 4 or 5 nights there take a ride to Southern CA and back over to Phoenix. On the way back I am going to take i10 back to the east coast. I can't wait to take my truck in the desert and see the whole country. I have been to the west coast but always fly. I like driving and seeing everything more. This year I drove to Florida.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Senior Member
Moshman is on a distinguished road
 
Moshman's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Apr 2013, #102954
Location: PA
Age: 38
Gender: Dude
Posts: 130
Moshman's Tacoma Gallery
Back in 2002 I took a 4 week road trip and circled the entire country-12,000 miles, 22 states with my 2002 Hyundai Accent. lol heres some places I went-
States- Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennesee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland.
Places I stopped- Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, White sands in New Mexico, the Oregon coast, Redwood National Park, CA, hiked the rain forest on the Olympic peninsula in Washington, Devils Tower in Wyoming, Tucson, AZ and more. Theres so much beautiful country out there-especially out west!
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another road trip!!! extremachn1 Arizona 4 12-14-2011 08:35 AM
My first off-road trip!! NetMonkey Off-Roading & Trails 20 03-25-2010 07:59 PM
road trip trainslayer Off-Roading & Trails 1 01-03-2010 12:54 PM
First Road Trip! PeteK 2nd Gen. Tacomas 10 10-06-2009 10:25 PM
First Road Trip! sbeau1960 2nd Gen. Tacomas 8 04-05-2009 09:18 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.