Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Need summer vacation ideas!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Need summer vacation ideas!

Hey guys,

Every summer, my family and I go on vacation for a week during the summer (June, July, or Aug) and need some suggestions as to where to go. The past two summers, we have been to the Orlando area and loved every minute of it, very nice area. Even though we had a great time, we would like to go somewhere different. We don't drink, so bars/nightclubs aren't important. It's more/less a family vacation but without the little kids. I'd like to keep the price below $1,250 for the place we would be staying at for the week, and there will be a total of 5 people.

I'm thinking somewhere in south Florida, California, Arizona, etc. but I have no idea as to what to do when we're there. We are still open to Hawaii, but airfare is going to kill us. Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Savannah,Georgia.....Tybee Island area. you simply will not regret it. awesome restaurants and the city is badass. and the ghost tours there are awesome as hell man.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Supreme Ruler
Snowman11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Snow
Snowman11's Tacoma Gallery
Savannah is beautiful and I highly recommend Sedona Arizona. The grand canyon is only 1.5 hours away.
Quebec City is next on my list.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
maybe try savannah and visit charleston? both are great cities
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
I would think out west would be tough to do for a week with a family on that budget. If not, I'd hit up Colorado.
We're headed to Colorado this summer again. Pagosa Springs to be exact. Might even take the Tacoma this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Mexico all-inclusive resorts in & around Cancun, Riviera Maya, etc.
They're frigin CHEAP!! Costs includes ALL your food & drinks (including alcohol).
I had a friend who did one of those trips for his honeymoon. Sounds like he and his wife liked it a lot.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Savannah,Georgia.....Tybee Island area. you simply will not regret it. awesome restaurants and the city is badass. and the ghost tours there are awesome as hell man.
Cool, thanks for the suggestion Will, I'll have to check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman11 View Post
Savannah is beautiful and I highly recommend Sedona Arizona. The grand canyon is only 1.5 hours away.
Yeah Sedona looks like a nice place to relax/sight see. I'd love to go out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeton View Post
Yeah that's an idea, if I went to Savannah, I'd definitely have to go to Paula Deen's restaurant.
Quote:
I would think out west would be tough to do for a week with a family on that budget. If not, I'd hit up Colorado.
I edited in the OP, but that price is just for the hotel/place to stay for the week. Airfare/food/car rental/stuff to do would not be included for that price. Colorado would be awesome, I'd love to go there and ski/snowboard all day. Thanks for the suggestion Jason!
Quote:
They're frigin CHEAP!! Costs includes ALL your food & drinks (including alcohol).
Never really looked into Mexico, but I'd be down for that trip. I'm not sure how the rest of the family would like it because of all the negative things like kidnapping/drug smuggling, but I'm sure the resort areas are a whole lot nicer with less crime. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks Jandy!

Thanks to everybody who has chimed in.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
maju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Retired
maju's Tacoma Gallery
Cape Cod
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Cool, thanks for the suggestion Will, I'll have to check it out.

Yeah Sedona looks like a nice place to relax/sight see. I'd love to go out there.

Yeah that's an idea, if I went to Savannah, I'd definitely have to go to Paula Deen's restaurant.

I edited in the OP, but that price is just for the hotel/place to stay for the week. Airfare/food/car rental/stuff to do would not be included for that price. Colorado would be awesome, I'd love to go there and ski/snowboard all day. Thanks for the suggestion Jason!

Never really looked into Mexico, but I'd be down for that trip. I'm not sure how the rest of the family would like it because of all the negative things like kidnapping/drug smuggling, but I'm sure the resort areas are a whole lot nicer with less crime. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks Jandy!

Thanks to everybody who has chimed in.
honestly man......Paula Deen's restaurant "the lady and sons" really aint as good as the hype it gets. i mean...the friend chicken is ok.....but almost the same as church's chicken in my opinion. if you are in Savannah......go to "river house seafood and bakery", "the pirate's house" and "stingrays" and "the crab shack" over on Tybee. awesome, awesome eats man.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to everybody for your opinions. Just to bump this up, we've decided that a cruise would be the best option for us, so that everybody has something that they can do on the trip. That brings me to my next question...

Eastern, Southern, or Western Caribbean? We would like to go on one of these itineraries (leaning eastern or western) but would like some input from the folks on TW. We will be cruising on Carnival, unless you guys have a better option. (Royal Caribbean is a little high) What would you choose if you were in this situation?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
HomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
HomeGrown's Tacoma Gallery
Wow Colton, I just looked at Smithfield, VA on google maps. You pretty much have your choice of beautiful vacation spots a stone's throw away.
I'm envious of your location!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
Wow Colton, I just looked at Smithfield, VA on google maps. You pretty much have your choice of beautiful vacation spots a stone's throw away.
I'm envious of your location!
Why thanks Bill! Only thing is when ya live near the vacation spots and go to them often, they get repetitive after a while.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
trd4life is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
trd4life's Tacoma Gallery
sara sea resort on siesta key florida gulf coast,white sand beach and peice and quiet
Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've only been on one cruise...and it was with Carnival. Not impressed...
The ship was old, small, and going to be retired at the end of the season. The same chicken that you ate in the dining room the night before, was the same chicken they served at the lunch bar the next day. The disembarking was a cluster kaos-phuck. We followed their instructions and still missed our flight. They were delayed in letting us off the ship!! That was 15 years ago.... I'd personally never go with Carnival again.

Where did we go? We sailed from Puerto Rico to St. Thomas, St. Martin, Martinique (didn't actually stop there due to bad seas) and Barbados.

For the excursions that we took...it's all pretty commercialized in a Caribean kinda of way. I think we liked Barbados the most. The water was soooo damn clean & crystal clear!!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #16
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
So true. Savannah is one of my favorite places!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman11 View Post
Grand Canyon was my first thought to recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeton View Post
Yep! Charleston is awesome and they're only 2 hours apart +/-

Quote:
Or Moab! You could reasonably drive to both grand canyon and CO. In the meanwhile, visit moab which is amazing (arches, canyonlands, etc)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
ben76 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
ben76's Tacoma Gallery
If your just looking for a nice place to go and relax, and enjoy fresh seefood, St.George Island in the florida panhandle is nice. We usualy go stay up there for a week around October. I know the prices to rent houses are more during the summer, but it also depends on how fancy of a house you want and where it's located on the island.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
THIS ^

My sister is going this summer with her boyfriend for two weeks...his mom found a deal - $400 for two weeks per person. Covers flight, room, food, everything! And from what I hear it's a nice place...