Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Belize Trip

Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
e money is on a distinguished road
e money's Tacoma Gallery
Belize Trip

Hey guys just got back from 10 days down in Belize for my honeymoon. Great place to visit. We spent 5 days on Caye Caulker a small fishing island and dive/snorkel site.

Once we got to the mainland I was amazed but the number of Prados, Hilux and Tacomas we saw. I was way more impressed than my wife of course. I wasn't a big fan of the Hilux but when you see them up close, even the older ones I was impressed.

Here was just one of many 3.0 Turbo Diesel.

We visited one of my wife's friends who runs a farm in central Belize. Once we were off the main roads I wish I was driving my truck-not for wheeling-just to get to where were going! Due to budgetary restraints I could only afford to rent a Suzuki Jimny:

Known in the states as a Samari.
(Renting in Belize is expensive. 65/day US for the Suzuki, 120 for Prado, 180 for Rubicon. Don't think I wasn't tempted though.)
Getting to the farm was an adventure and so were the mountian roads to camp. Thank god it had 4wd! Very capable for what its worth and fun to drive. Not to mention 38mpg. I was able to navigate through the mountain roads and a small river crossing...barely. 14inch rims and semi-all terrain tire made me very nervous. Once we got to the farm I was greeted by these guys:

The Landcruiser was 4door diesel with right hand drive. I drove it around for the day. It was a fucking tank! Ill get some more pics up when I can:
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Cool to see so many different models and makes of vehicles that are not available in the USA! Thanks for thr trip report!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Congratulations & Great pics!
I deployed a few times to Belize with the Army more down near Punta Gorda & Placentia. Beautiful country when I got r&r & to visit a few Cayes. Went back on a cruise to visit Belize City but really preferred the Southern Coast.
How did you like the snorkeling?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome ! caye caulker is awesome, no vehicles on the island still right? Did you go to "the Split" ? I had to rent a jiminy as well, but its a capable vehicle, and if thats the only way i was going to get 4x4 , then that was fine. Glad you enjoyed
Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
TruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruthInLies313 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Medical Technician
Name: Blaine
TruthInLies313's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats!!!! I used to live in Belize when I was 11....My dad owned a Dive Shop on Ambergris Caye....it was an island close to Caye Caulker...have many great memories of that place. Suprised to see that you said there was vehicles on the island cause we didn't have any....just golf carts..and boats of course :P
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
e money's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Congratulations & Great pics!
I deployed a few times to Belize with the Army more down near Punta Gorda & Placentia. Beautiful country when I got r&r & to visit a few Cayes. Went back on a cruise to visit Belize City but really preferred the Southern Coast.
How did you like the snorkeling?
Snorkeling was great. Swam with sea turtles and manatees. I agree, Bleize City was a bit sketchy but the keys were great. Next time I want to get down to Palencia.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
e money's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemob View Post
Awesome ! caye caulker is awesome, no vehicles on the island still right? Did you go to "the Split" ? I had to rent a jiminy as well, but its a capable vehicle, and if thats the only way i was going to get 4x4 , then that was fine. Glad you enjoyed

Yea, noi vehicles on the island except the local garbage truck. All bike and golf carts. The slpit was great. The Lazy Lizard was our first stop in the afternoon for drinks.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Was in Belize about 10 years ago. Beautiful country. I stayed on the Ambergris Caye. I got one of the Prados when I went to Nicaragua 2 years ago. Biggest p.o.s. ever (could have been because they were rentals though)! Both of them suffered major damage when we put a couple suitcases on top. the whole roof bowed in. I had to get in the back of each one and discreetly push the roof back up when we took them back. lol

Glad you had a good time!