LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

OBX

Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
OBX

leaving saturday for a week on the 4x4 beaches. we have a big ass house 8 miles up the beach off all roads. im driving and 2 buddies with a frontier and an xterra are also driving. i think ill have to show them a few things out on the beach and trails.

this is our 4th trip there. 2nd with the tacoma. last time i was stock with the crappy tires. Now im lifted, have new tires, and a few mods. i cant wait.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds fun
remember to air down!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
And remember to post pics of your buddies stuck
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oh i will be on TWLive quite a bit next week. i will be airing down around 18psi, i found that is just right. i have a strap so i can pull out the Nissans.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

i have been so excited about getting down there, big house, 16 friends. its always been soooooo much fun. this year is bittersweet, 3 weeks ago my best friend for 20 years died in a car accident where some 20 y/o chick crossed into his lane. its been a horribel experience for all involved. he and his wife actually planned the trip and now obviously cant go, it just sucks, but i know he would want us to go and have a blast, so we are still going. his wife wont be making it because she has so much to do and they have a 2 year old. it sucks it has to be but we all need some time away right now and this is just right
Old 08-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #6

its ok to reply guys. any tips for fun things to do? places to wheel or go other than the beach?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

started to pack. i have a 12x12 EZ up tent, chairs, toys,kite, gotta add 2 surfcasters,pop up trash can, shovel, air pump and gauge, tools, and i have a hitch mounted carrier for my big ass cooler. the bestop was agreat iinvestment, the tonneau would not work out in this case. driving with 4 people from CT, we are splitting it up 6 hours saturday and 5 sunday, the wife is 6 months preggers and not thrilled about a 10 hour drive. just some luggage left and im good to go. i think ill add a few PSI to the Firestone rite-rides for the trip to prevent the dreaded bottom out.

easy shovel mount, i zip tied it to the bed cleats and brought a few extra ties incase i actually use it
Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I always drive to Corolla for a day just to cruise and enjoy the beach. Salvo imo is a much better beach, it's much less crowded and has awesome surf fishing. Salvo is a little trickier to get into with a 4x4, a truck with street psi won't make it down the ramp.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
YankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant future

Army: I jump out of perfectly good airplanes... among other things.
Name: Lef
YankeePirate's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to YankeePirate
Dude The OBX is one of my favorite places on earth.

Have you driven on the beaches down there yet? That is where my sigpic was taken, at the OBX near Oregon Inlet.

I know all sorts of awesome stuff to do there. I am a huge history nerd and there is plenty of that. There are also some BAD ASS bars and restaurants.

Let me know what you are in to and I will pass whatever knowledge I have on to you.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #10

i am 8 miles up the beach, near the 22mi marker. its my 4th trip here. love it
Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #11

we did some surf casting the last 2 days. got a bunch of little croakers? i think thast what they were on monday on blood worms, and today we got 10 littles blues on spoons and some frozen makeral. heading offshore tomorrow for the day on a charter. the guy said the dolphin have been biting and a few sailfish last week. he got my hopes up. ill meek you all posted
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
YankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant future

Army: I jump out of perfectly good airplanes... among other things.
Name: Lef
YankeePirate's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to YankeePirate
Awesome, man. Have fun!

Don't forget to hit the Brew Thru

My beach set up
Old 08-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
trdtaco10 will become famous soon enough

trdtaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!. Check the point in buxton..as long as the wind isn't coming from the south/southwest you should be able to tear up the blues and spanish with a sting silver (we use pink/white with a silver holographic)
Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
wtmtntaco is on a distinguished road

wtmtntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hit Outer Banks Brewery for good food and homemade brews, mile post 6.5, also Jockey Ridge is a cool place to check out, kite flyin etc. We were there in April, also the 4th trip down, enjoy the fishing and have fun!!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #15

went for a swim in the pool and saw 5 horses out there

our camp from the pool deck
Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
went for a swim in the pool and saw 5 horses out there

our camp from the pool deck
Where are these taken at, Corolla?

If you go on the access roads behind the beach you will see quite a few wild horses. It was a really cool trip!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Where are these taken at, Corolla?

If you go on the access roads behind the beach you will see quite a few wild horses. It was a really cool trip!
yeah these at at Corova Beach, mile post 22, about 2 miles from the Virginia line. we saw horses everyday we were there and 3 times in our yard or driveway, 2 times walking down the beach where we were set up.

good times but now we are home, ill try to post some more pics when i get a chance
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #18
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Ugh these pics make me want to go there so bad. I'm heading up there in a month for the last week of September. I can't wait!

I love the OBX, my favorite place on earth. I have been going there every summer since I was a newborn, my mom's family has been going there since before there was even a bridge to get there. The OBX saltwater runs in my blood haha. We always have a big family reunion there every year. 15-20 people, we rent a big house in Duck or Corolla. (we didn't go this year though ) I have many fond memories of the OBX.

It's a long drive up there for us too from Atlanta but totally worth it. about 10 hours. 11 to buxton.

This year I plan on driving up to Topsail beach to stay with my cousin one night, then hop on the cedar island ferry, then ocracoke ferry to Hatteras island. I haven't taken the Ferry since I was a little kid. We're gonna stay in Frisco and camp on the sound at Frisco woods campground. Then we're gonna stay in Corolla our last night there and drive back from there. Taking my new girlfriend up there with me this year, apparently her family vacations there too and she loves the OBX too. Definitely a keeper!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #19

over the dune onto the beach. later that night i pulled a Mercedes Blutech Deisel and a BMX X5 about 500 feet up the beach and over the dune. They were from Ontario, go figure. my buddy and I were sitting on the dune having a cigar when we saw them get stuck, buried to the frames.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #20

i averaged 19 mpg on the rides up and down from CT, about 400 miles each way, took 11 hours each way. i had 4 adults, the bed FULL and a rack on the hitch with a full cooler. not too bad i guess. 38 psi in the Revo 2's and i put 20 psi in the firestone bags for the trip, worked out great, not too rough, no bottoming out at all.

once to the beach i dropped the tires to 15 psi and upped the air bags to 30psi because i sometimes had a few people and gear in the back, again worked out nice.

didnt get stuck at all. i saw quite a few people stuck and if i can get the digital camera to load up i will show some pics. one was a Mitsu Lanser (idiot made it 30 feet onto the beach) one WRX, a Mazda MPV minivan, the Mercedes and BMW that i pulled out. then a few stuck that had too much pride to get pulled, they spend hours digging, pushing, rocking, these include an older bronco, 2 jeeps, one had 44's on it but the 4wd broke(he eventually had another jeep pull him out), and a Raptor, yup, he refused to get pulled out. i saw them working for 2 hours while i drank beer under my tent, then i went to the house to eat, not sure how he ended up getting out.