Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

vacation: cash or credit?

Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GA_TACO4x4's Tacoma Gallery
vacation: cash or credit?

I'm going on vacation Monday and can't decide if its better to go ahead and use cash for everything or put it on a cc and pay it off when I get home. Both have pros and cons but I just wanted to hear yalls $.02. I don't like the idea of traveling with large sums of $$ but then I hear stories of cc fraud on tourists so idk. Let's hear some advise and/or personal experiences.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I useually use credit for the big stuff, and keep some cash for the smaller things.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
No brainer, CC all the way and pay off. Everything goes on my CC, but never keep a balance.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I useually use credit for the big stuff, and keep some cash for the smaller things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
No brainer, CC all the way and pay off. Everything goes on my CC, but never keep a balance.
so it sounds like we kinda think the same. food, rental expences, gas, ect. go on CC. but tips and small random purchases for cash. glad to know im on the right page.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I used to put vacations on the CC, for the first time in a long time, I paid everything cash this last vacation. Its great not having to worry about paying a vaction off later.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
what kinda vacation? anything large like a hotel, airplane, rental car, if the service is extremely poor, and they refuse to work with you, you can dispute it with your cc company and they can work something out. cash for food and such though.

But i generally put everything on my cc and pay it off right away. they hate me for it, but it builds credit. only put stuff on cc if you have the cash right then, or its an extreme emergency.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
I used to put vacations on the CC, for the first time in a long time, I paid everything cash this last vacation. Its great not having to worry about paying a vaction off later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
what kinda vacation? anything large like a hotel, airplane, rental car, if the service is extremely poor, and they refuse to work with you, you can dispute it with your cc company and they can work something out. cash for food and such though.

But i generally put everything on my cc and pay it off right away. they hate me for it, but it builds credit. only put stuff on cc if you have the cash right then, or its an extreme emergency.
just a little 3 day get away to the beach. gotta pay the condo rental with a check (per owners rule) which is no big deal. i have the cash for the trip in my acct so its not like ill have to pay off the card for months at a time. just not a big fan of traveling out of state with large sums of cash b/c if its lost or stolen, thats pretty much the end of it. with a cc, you can dispute it with the company, as u stated.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Credit, but I always take some cash as well.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Dangerous
ronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
ronman737's Tacoma Gallery
Use the credit card and pay it off. 1000 dollars for a flight = points/cash back.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
SATXguy is on a distinguished road

SATXguy's Tacoma Gallery
I use a CC because I get 1% cash back at the end of the year. I do not carry a balance on my CC. But for eating out and junk while on vacation it is always my debit card.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
use credit card,as long as you can pay the full balance when due. on hunting trips I would carry all cash. had to take quite a bit extra with in case of breakdown, or if I found something I just had to have. I did not have a credit card then,now I have one, use it alot. I have never paid one cent on an unpaid balance. I really don't need it,but it's very convenient. If I had a cabelas credit card,I would put everything on it to get the points for freebies.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Credit Card if you have the cash to pay off the vacation, before interest is charged at the end of the billing cycle. I carry some cash, usually not more then $100.00, for small things like tips etc.. Usually use the ATMs in the area, I know you get charged a fee if it is not your banks ATM, but I would rather pay a small fee, then if you loose your money or get ripped off your not out.

In most tourist areas thieves are on the lookout for people carrying large amounts of cash, this is something we all must lookout for and protect ourselves.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
rdp5008 is on a distinguished road
Name: Russell
rdp5008's Tacoma Gallery
It's easy to plan to "pay it off" when you get home and then spend more than you planned. Cash is good for this.

I use my debit card because it gives you some protection like a cc. I have 1 cc and it rarely leaves my house.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp5008 View Post
It's easy to plan to "pay it off" when you get home and then spend more than you planned. Cash is good for this.

I use my debit card because it gives you some protection like a cc. I have 1 cc and it rarely leaves my house.
I pay my cc off every month. I use it for travel expenses and even pay my bill if it's due while on vacation.

Not sure if the rules have changed, but if the bg gets your debit card info, he can clean your account out and there's not much you can do. But with credit cards you are protected.

I also carry some cash in case something happens to my cc. Don't like carrying large amounts of cash.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #16
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
The other half and I are going to Germany for Oktoberfest leaving in a month. Happy to say we paid cash for 100% of things back in April.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I always have a few bucks in my pocket for smaller things but typically use a credit card for everything. I figure if I'm going to buy it, why use cash when I can get points by using the credit card. Buying in cash has no return. As long as you're disciplined enough to pay off your balance every month, credit cards are the way to go in my opinion.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
I use my ATM for most everything. Best of both worlds.
i used to do this..but now i dont. CC has a layer of protection that a debit card doesnt. one wrong swipe, and some scumbag will have access to your bank account. the CC will protect you for the most part from fraud.

i use my CC for everything when i travel. i have the cash on hand, and pay it off right away. take a small stack of cash for the small stuff, and tips.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
x2.

in addition, i use a rewards card so all the expenses i can go on the card to get the rebate.

also, i can track my spending better if i want.

and... you have the protection of the credit card company if something goes wrong with the purchase, or are you liable (generally - if you notify them in a certain amount of time) if it gets stolen and used.

carrying a lot of cash while traveling is not a great idea IMO.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp5008 View Post
I use my debit card because it gives you some protection like a cc.
no, it really doesn't give you the protection of a cc in general.

in addition, while using it at certain locations such as gas stations, it's far riskier as the information is beamed via satellite and exposes your information.

and there's other issues such as freezing your funds...
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...DebitCard.aspx