1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Airport Reviews

Discussion in 'Travel' started by tacomathunder, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    give your review on any airport you've been through. give specifics on how easy it was to get from terminal to terminal, and if the airport is clean and easy to navigate....then if you want name another airport you would like to see reviewed so you know for your future travels....

Ill start with 4 reviews...

Fort Myers Airport (Southwest Florida International Airport): great airport, has the big airport feel in a very small package... not very many flights so its never really crowded. Only had to fly out of there, never connected... the airport is very clean and the service is good... would fly out of there again...

Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport: Large airport although not as big as Miami Int... the terminals are kind of old, but they are kept looking good inside the terminal after TSA...before TSA things seem to look old and dirty... service is shoddy, there are a lot of foreigners that hardly speak english which can be frustrating...never connect through there, only flown out but i would imagine that connecting wouldn't be too hard because each airline is in its designated terminal... it can get very crowded there so if you travel through there always hope for the best expect the worst, in other words expect delays...

Raleigh Duram International Airport: Great Airport, just renovated and the renovations are beautiful...its awesome what humans can build... the airport is mid sized and is now very very clean...before the renovations it was confusing and dirty all around, now there are clearly marked signs as to where everything is... connecting is a breeze all airlines have their designated area... would fly out of here again

Charlotte Douglass International Airport: Very nice airport, but very large airport...if you have to connect through here and you are flying on US Airways odds are you will have to change terminals...this airport makes changing terminals easy though...All of the terminals are connected to one central area which is after security, so you can use any one of the security checkpoints to get to any of the terminals even though it doesn't say that.... for example, you can go through the checkpoint for terminal A and B and still be able to get to terminal E with ease... very clean airport, delays are minimal now with the addition of a new runway, making 3 parallel runways... signs make navigation easy, and there is a Chili's right inside the central terminal area..awesome if you have a longer layover... would and will fly here again

Request: I would like to see a review on Atlanta airport, i have to fly through there for the first time in my life on friday..and i only have a 30 minute layover...

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 2:57 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Altlanta...Very large well structured. ( busy airport in US ) and when I was there last year they were making some renovations. Couple of the fast food chain we went to were extremely busy never found a clean table to eat at. they do have some cool shops at the airport to pass time.

They are able to move folks very quickly through their lines at check in. usually can get in through and to your gate in less than 1 hour.

3. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:11 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    Thank you, that makes me feel a little better about my connection...

I have another review that i forgot about...

West Palm Beach International Airport: Small airport seems to be overshadowed by fort lauderdale and miami... when you are in the airport it almost has a dying mall feel to it lol, everything is just so quiet and uneventful... it is a nice airport, clean...although it does seem outdated...not enough seats for passengers waiting for their flight... not really a fan of this airport...

review coming friday: Luis Munoz Marin International Airport San Juan Puerto Rico

4. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    alright, going to revive this thread for 2 airports in Puerto Rico....

Luis Munoz Marin International Airport San Juan Puerto Rico: Large airport, most carriers from the US fly down here... I mostly fly jet blue down there and their terminal is in conjunction with Spirit's...The terminal is nice, clean and spacious...enough seats for people to wait for their flight... bar right in the middle of the terminal and many little shops....

Ponce Airport, Ponce Puerto Rico: Very small airport, flew down on a redeye JetBlue flight, no gate to deboard on, used a wheeled ramp that looked almost like a scaffold, not very clean and very cramped. novelty for me since i like to be so close to planes outside so i was right up against the plane after deboarding...but if you want a seamless deboarding then this airport really isn't for you.

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I'll add a few. I live in Atlanta so I'll start there:

ATL: Huge, crowded, decent shops and food choices, baggage claim is decent, mostly fast food I think. For as big as it is security is never bad.

Pittsburgh: old feeling now, few food options, few shops, few flights, you'll probaly never fly through here unless it's your destination. Theres only 4 monitors with departures and arrivals, where there use to be 24, all blank now. USAir hurt this airport big time.

Salt Lake City: Small, easy to get through, decent food, didnt notice the shops, bags were waiting for us after a short walk from our gate. I enjoyed this airport.

Detroit: Big new terminal, aestitheticaly pleasing, few shops and food options where we were at. Only had about 30 mins here.

Those were my most recent stops.

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    Orange County, CA SNA (John Wayne Airport) Nice clean small airport, very few shops, a few small restraunts. Usually a destination,not a connection.

Denver, Co, DIA. Large airport, about 20 miles east of Denver. Plenty of shops, with most airlines. Big connection hub for United.

Vancouver, Canada (YVR) Large airport, very clean, people are really friendly and helpful. Plenty of shops and restraunts.

7. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    cbr04

cbr04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    I will add to this:

Atlanta: I would agree with the above reviews - for as large as it is it's pretty well organized and smooth. Lots of food choices and fairly well organized.

St. Louis: Small and easy to navigate. Workers aren't very friendly from my experience. Very few food choices.

LAX: I try to avoid this airport if at all possible. I've only been through there a couple of times but it's always been not so great experiences - unfriendly and chaotic.

Seoul Incheon (Korea): I love this airport - it's super clean, super friendly, tons of food choices, tons of shopping choices (like a huge mall really), very well organized, etc. I fly through here on several occasions direct from Atlanta. I never mind long layovers here because there's so many options to eat, shop, and relax.

8. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Ontario California: Flew to and from there back in 02. It was a pretty nice airport from what I remember. Some cool shops and the lines moved fairly quickly. Very clean.

Dallas Fort Worth: It was kinda congested. Couldn't find a table to eat after I got burger king. Almost missed my flight because it was so loud in there I didn't hear my boarding call. Still ok in my book though.

New Orleans: Took forever to go through the lines. Some of the people there were a little rude but I'm sure there are those types at every airport. Parking was a little pricey but it was still ok. I'd fly out of there again if it was my only option.

Key West: I'll give you my take on it after our honeymoon in June.

9. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Great thread!!!
    I fly home from greenville,sc to ft wayne, ind about 6 times a year.
    I just bought a house recently so my travel time to gville,sc/spartinburgh airport increased from 8 mins to more than 50 mins.
    Ive flown into detroit, cleveland, both chi towns, atl, ky/cin and all are fine airports with smooth travel.
    I cant get a strait thru flight but by far my fav airport is the ky/cinn airport. Check out the sam aadams bar for great food and drink.

Surprisingly I have never had a connecting flight into indy which is really nice from what I hear.

10. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Rated on a 5 star system, 5 being the best:

Philadelphia (*): Sucks. Hate it. I avoid it all costs. Luggage gets lost. Flights delayed. It's difficult to get from one area to the next. Food: meh. Cleanliness: does not exist.

Harrisburg, PA (****): Small yet clean, friendly and always on time (in my experience). Food choices are minimal.

Indianapolis (*** 1/2): Decent airport. Friendly people. It's kind of boring though. A few shops here and there.

Denver (*****): Great Airport. Large, easy to get to flights. Great food choices and shops. The views from some of the restaurants are wonderful.

Detroit (****): A large version of Denver but without the scenery.

Charlotte (****) : Another great airport. I believe this one has a liquor store.

Those were the "latest" ones I have been too.

11. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I forgot charlotte. Gret airport, nice shops. You wont be bored on your layover.

12. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    to bad i don’t really remember the 1st and only time i have flown. :(

13. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I was at DFW last night, I use to go there all the time but its been a long time.

For as big and as busy of an airport it is....I give it a C. Food was avg and not a whole lot else to do. Not many shops, not aesteticaly pleasing either. The last time I was there I had to spend the night in the terminal. It was not a good day.

Ill be at PHX next week, havnt been there in 15 yrs so Ill post a review when I get back.

14. Mar 8, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    Orlando International Airport (MCO): The airport is nice, clean... very large, challenging to get from one terminal to the next. You have to take a train to get from ticketing to your terminal.... Huge food court just past ticketing before the train area.... Seems nice and modern, until you get to your gate, things seemed outdated and boring, i can't really vouch for how loud it gets during the day because i took a Red-Eye out to Puerto Rico from there.

15. Mar 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    Ninja

Ninja The Lone Wolf of TW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '04 Prerunner SR5 Reg. Cab
    Here a few from recent years.

Phoenix Sky Harbor(PHX): Terminals 2-3 are basic and spartan. Terminal 4 is basically a mall disguised as an airport, a few decent eateries. To go from one terminal to another involves using buses. New SkyTrain to link terminals to Metro Light Rail comes online this summer.

Seattle-Tacoma(SEA): The main "A" Terminal is huge and has tons of eating and drinking choices....you can get seriously drunk here. "B" and "S" terminals linked by underground tram. "B" offers decent food and bev, "S" offers just basics. Everyone is herded thru "A" for security checkpoint, lines get real long on Monday Morning and Friday Evening.

Honolulu(HNL): If your flying in or out on Hawaiian, they operate out of the Interisland Terminal which is modern and offers a fair selection on food/beverage. Other airlines use the Main or even International Terminals which are pretty poor in food, BK and Cafeteria Quality Food, and the pathways are not Air-Con so can be damp to muggy to sweltering at times(depends on Tradewinds).

16. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The agriculture check is a pain in the butt. I had an early flight out and the line was super long. I saw that there was another one with almost no one in line. I walked up to it but they wouldn't let me use it. I had to use the United checkpoint. They all go into the same building so WTF?

I like Atlanta as well. Well laid out plus you can walk or ride the tram to the various terminals.

I hate Chicago O'Hare. I avoid that one if at all possible. It seems like there's always a problem (fog, snow, etc). I sat on the tarmac in Indiana for 5 hours waiting for it to open because of fog. Plus another hour when we landed because all the terminals filled with late arriving planes.

17. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    ATL. Liked that place. Easy to get around.
    SFO. Sucks on weather days. You're better off going to SJC or OAK.
    SJC. Love it. Near the house. Easy in, easy out. Perfect for domestic not as connected as SFO for INT travel.
    DFW. Arrivals at opposite ends of the terminal...and it's a LONG way to the other end.
    AUS. Beer and BBQ while you wait. Country music in the bars. Need I say more? I will. Got entertained by the Blue Canyon Boys as they waited for a flight.
    DEN. Way better than the old one. Everything seems linear and it's easy to get through the place.
    ORD. Eh. Not bad.

I've been to a few other east coast airports and not been real impressed. But those were always under construction.

18. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    ADCarter1

ADCarter1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Maryland's Beautiful Farm Country
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    I guess you're not flying through ATL internationally, if you do, watch out. I've found them to be the strictest and surliest customs agents in the states. Other than that, I liked the airport. They had lots of places to eat and a smoking lounge.

My home airport is BWI, which I like because it's small and not a lot of hassle. Easy to get into and out of, drop people off/pick them up, easy on and off the highway. Watch out for radar going into the airport!

IAD is large and confusing and, like all things in D.C. difficult to get into or out of.

The last time I was at Kennedy I remember being pleasantly surprised. It was large but well organized. Lots of shops and food.

Chicago O'Hare: Another huge airport. To get to international departures we walked about a mile on some underground moving walkway. Crowded and long lines for food and duty free.

Manchester, N.H.: Friendliest U.S. airport. Hands down.

Internationally:
    Ireland: Fly into Shannon, not Dublin ESPECIALLY if renting a car. SNN is a tiny little airport (with the first duty free shop in the world), Dublin is on the small side for a capital city but getting out of there in a rental car and driving on the wrong side of the road directly into city traffic is murder. SNN is in the middle of nowhere so you get a chance to find your bearings.

Glasgow, Scotland: Friendliest international airport.

Paris CDG: Old, run down, mobbed. Customs agents assume you speak French. Crap food, not too friendly staff. Not enough places to sit down with luggage. Super high end Duty Free shops.

Rome (FCO): Best airport food in the world and CHEAP. The food is subsidized by the Italian government and surprisingly good. Meat and cheese platters, fresh pasta dishes, fresh juices. Good duty free shops. Helpful staff. All American airlines fly out of a separate building and you must take a tram to get out there. Be prepared for the guards walking around carrying machine guns.

Keflavik (Iceland): Small airport, confusing shuttle system to get to your hotel, CRAP food (the worst I have ever eaten). The whole airport looks like it was built by IKEA. Also it's about an hour by bus to Reykjavik.

London Heathrow: Huge. Nice staff, customs agents. Food was decent. They've done a lot to refurbish it. One word of warning, if you fly into London and continue to the Republic of Ireland, it's a domestic departure.

19. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    The surliest customs agents I've found are at SJU. Barely made my connecting flight.

20. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    ADCarter1

ADCarter1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Maryland's Beautiful Farm Country
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    In ATL, the customs agent and I had an argument over a jar of mustard. I had 2 ounces more mustard in a glass jar than I was legally allowed to have.

Next time, I'll be sure to check the U.S. mustard laws before leaving home.

To Top