1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dogs in a hammock

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by elytravis, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    elytravis

elytravis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    Hey everybody, I'm looking for a dog hammock for my two small chiuaua terrier mixes to ride in the back of my next Taco. There are a lot to choose from so I'm wondering if anybody has any expertise in the functionality of them. My dogs like to look out the window around town, but for the long hauls are pretty laid back in the back seat. Also, are the door panels durable for dogs nails as them step up to look out the window? Some of the hammocks have side pieces that come up too, but I don't like the look of those. The first two Pics are my dogs, the rest are some of the hammocks. Thanks for any input.
    2011-01-22_14-29-31_612.jpg
    2011-01-22_14-29-41_106.jpg
    black dog hammock.jpg
    Petco Dog hammock.jpg

2. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    So...either nobody has any input on these things or I put this in the wrong section.

3. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Never heard of these, most people just build decks in the back of their truck for their dogs.

4. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    we got one of those for my parents dog. has the whole back seat to himself and also he cant fall down to the floor if we have to stop suddenly

5. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Never used a hammock, just threw on a set of neoprene seat covers and called it a day. I would imagine your dog's nails will start to do some damage to the side panels over time. Mine hasn't yet because he's tall enough to sit on the seat and look out but a small dog will scratch the hell out of the plastic trying to get a good view.

6. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Would you say it's worth the $50? My small dogs in the top pics are good travelers. I was thinking this or putting the seats down and having them on the seat back, but with that hard plastic of the 2012's I don't want them to get jacked up or irritable for my 1500 mile drives.

7. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Put a piece of carpet secured to the plastic seat back for them to walk around on. You could use velcro or glue.

8. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    oh yeah he travels alot batter with it than before whenever he use to get up he would slide off the seat

9. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    My Dogs ride in the crates in back, when I did not have a truck long ago lol. I used a heavy duty twin bed cover over back of the back seats and small spring clamped to the head rest support post of the front seats.

50 isn't bad but check around with llbean,cabela's or lion country supply or any hunting dog supply place for one that is water proof and such.

10. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    Hughesc99

Hughesc99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Derby, KS
    I have one like the first one you pictured, except its tan. Works well. Has kept my seats clean and much less hair I have to clean up. (I have a Husky and Mini Dachshund.) My Husky lays there most times and the Dachshund normally hangs out the window. He has put one scratch on the top of the door panel by the window, so yes it can happen. I bought mine at Petsmart for around $40 IIRC.

11. Oct 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I will let you know how it works out. I think I'm going to go ahead and get one, but do plan on checking out some pet stores, cabellas, and a few other places for the more water proof ones with padding. I'll post pics when I get them and report how the dogs like it. It won't be until around Jan when I get back from this deployment. If anybody recamends any hammocks in particular, I would love to know why. Thanks again.
    :oldglory:

12. Oct 25, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    I have looked into these for my Boxer cuz he's still a puppy and clumsy on the back seat. I don't like however that access to the back is somewhat limited from the front. In case I have to reach back there for something it doesn't look that easily accomplished, especially while driving.

I currently just have a fitted sheet covering the back seat and will be building a "dog mod" in the near future

13. Oct 25, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    I have the first hammock pictured exactly and it works great. It def keeps a lot more hair on there than in the seat and carpet and whey they tend to lick themselves it won't stain the seats as you know the Taco's seats stain easily. I aslo put a blanket down.

14. Oct 25, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    I lay the back seats down and put a shower curtain liner over the bottom of the seat and the head rests. I put an old yoga mat over the plastic and then a blanket. My dogs dont slide around at all and they travel like champs. I have on small dog and her nails havnt messed up the plastic on the doors after 2 years so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

15. Oct 26, 2011 at 1:02 AM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I was concerned about them scratching the plastic looking out the window. With my '96 they look out all the time and haven't really scratched that either, I'm just hoping they don't scratch the hell out of the new one. I don't think I could leave my dogs that travel so well stay in a crate while I drive half way accross the country.

16. Nov 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    BattleStatic

BattleStatic Gluten Free

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Goodyear
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O.R. 4x4
    OME 885's w/Nitro Chargers and Dakar rear leafs ATX AX199 Mohave I I (0 offset, 4.5" bs) BFG KM2 285 75 16 Avid Sliders w/ kickoffs Pelfreybilt rack w/ Tepui RTT Katzkin front and rear Sunroof
    I was wondering about one of these hammocks as well. I have a Lab and a mini dachshund. The lab is fine he sits there with his head out he window like a human, thought he sheds like crazy when back there. The mini is good back there but he does have a tendency to fall to the floor on stops. I might just go with the neoprenes and one of these. Especially cause Lab's love water and he always finds it just as we are heading back to the truck.

17. Nov 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    I have recently began looking at the Kurgo Wander Dog Hammock. I found a site that said it was voted the best of these products for durability. It comes in Black and Tan for around $55.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The straps that go around the headrests look more durable. I have small dogs, but I want it to last a long time especialy for $55. I still have about a month until I need it but will probably order one soon.

18. Mar 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    So, I thought I would update this thread if anybody is intrested. I purchased the Black Kurgo hammock around Christmas and used it on two 1500 mile drives. My dogs were comfortable the entire trip. The black carry bag zipper is a little cheap and broke after I tried to zip it up. The water bottle leaks a little when you try to squeeze the water out, but the cover is durable, water resistant and worth the money by itself IMO. Here are some pics of the dogs and the cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    Travis, would you still recommend this product? Is there enough slack that allows the hammock to go down into the floor area? I'm worried a few models might be too long for our small back seat area and there will be slack. I've been looking at this same cover on Amazon for my 100lb german shepherd. Also, will it keep him from coming up between the front seats?

20. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I don't mean to necro-thread jack but it's kind of relevant. I had the same worry about the dog falling between the seats. I was just letting my 80lb lab loose in the back seat on a set of neoprene seat covers but if I had to stop quick, he'd end up on the floor. I ended up improvising and came up with this (sort of stolen from another member :)):
    [​IMG]
    It's just a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet with some holes cut in it. It gets attached to the hooks on the back of the cab and the rear seats fold down and the headrests hold the front. A big dog could still climb over the head rests and get into the front if he really wanted to, but there is a bit of a barrier in his way. It makes sort of a cradle for him so if I ever do have to stop quick, he can't go anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top