Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

My White Rim Trail Adventures

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dave
canyonchaser's Tacoma Gallery
My White Rim Trail Adventures

Years and years ago I did this trip - long before it was popular.

But I've wanted to return for many years, so finally decided to pull the trigger. The White Rim Trail was closed for quite some time when one of the roads was washed away, but was reopened this March. The first decent Backcountry Permit/Campsite available wasn't until the first week of November.

We would be traveling with a couple of long-time friends, but we were all arriving at different times. We arrived and spent a day doing the traditional tourist thing.

Arches National Park...

We weren't able to find someone to watch my wifes puppy (Sprocket) so we would be taking him along. But the National Park Service is very anti-dog, so he would be a bit of a fugative.

For reasons beyond us, Pets are not allowed to walk on sidewalks. They are allowed in the street however... It actually says this in the literature.

We decided to leave Arches using a small dirt road instead of the main route.

This gave Sprocket a chance to stretch his legs.

We're starting to worry....

We all rallied up Tuesday night and were ready to enter the Park on Wednesday. We started off by heading out of Moab on Potash Road and then onto Long Canyon.

However, a storm came in that night and doused all the higher elevations with snow.

However, it was quite pretty...

We stopped to air down the tires, I dropped down to 20psi. I was afraid to go much lower although I'm told as low as 12psi is acceptable.

It's amazing how long it took to air down the tires, Eric (first Gen Tacoma) and Jeremey (X-Terra) teamed up to speed up the process.

Soon, we were driving on a blanket of snow. Traction was surprisingly good, particularly when you consider that slick-rock becomes extremely slippery when wet.

We arrived at the infamous fallen rock...

Obligatory rock photo...

Soon we found ourselves dealing with some very Slick-Rock and some big holes. It took a couple of tries and some relocation of larger rocks in order for the X-Terra to make it through.

Wheels in the air!

My Taco made it through no problem!

(it was a lot worse than it looks in the photos)

Sprocket never doubted the Taco's abilities.

Soon, we were nearing the top of the canyon!

Just in time to drop back down via the Shafer Trail
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice. Love the Hardbody, too.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Dropping back down into the canyons... Trucks for scale...

Extremely tight switchbacks. The advantages of a smaller vehicle.

...and onto the White Rim Trail - which is a road that lives half-way between the very top of the canyon and the very bottom.

We stopped to walk across Musselman Arch. Used to be that the bravest of men would drive thir FJ40's and CJ's across this thing. Scary.

Another glamour shot...

It really was a lot steeper than it looks. I promise.

So, the thing to do is to crawl out on your belly and look over the edge...

Quick pose in front of the snow-covered La Sal Mountain range

So, remember the very first photo I posted? This is how that climb looks now.

The Flat-Hats, in order to make the trail safer for mountain bikes have slowly been flattening and smoothing and leveling the road.... So sad...

Oh-o-Oh, what a feelin'

Toyota!

Those delicate looking towers that are all sorta connected, but kinda not... They're called Hoodoo's.

Part of being in the middle of two great expanses, both up and down, means that sometimes there isn't a whole lot of room for a road.

At the very southern most tip of the trail is White Crack campground, this is the view.

This is the most popular campsite, but sadly, Special Use Permit holders (i.e. tour groups) snatch up all the permits as soon as they become available, making it almost impossible for the general public to camp here. Damn flat-hats.

As the day came to an end, we had one last climb, up the Hog-Back.

Years ago when we did this road, this climb was rocky, and ledgy and pretty sketchy. On this day I did it in 2-wheel drive...

In fact, I did essentially the entire trail in 2H.

However, the views are still spectacular!

And here is the view from our campsite - see if you can find the Sprocket in this photo.

Fantastic light

Setting up camp...
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Political Correctness Sucks!
skb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskb7527 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
skb7527's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pics!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Major cool stuff!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
It was a very cold night, but the next morning we had a visitor. A very large black raven.

Watching the sun rise was amazing - and would bring with it much desired warmpth.

Sprocket doesn't much care for the cold

Ahh, finally sun and warmth.

FEED ME!

The face-off. Let the games begin!

CHARGE!

Sneaky, sneaky...

CHARGE!

Breaking down camp

Pam and Jeremy love their X-Terra so much that every time they see one they do the salute and proclaim "X-Terra! X-TREME Adventure!"

Eric and I wanted a salute too...

Taco Taco Taco Taco! NOM NOM NOM!

It's not near as cool...

Time to drop off the Islands in the Sky...

One of the few places I used 4L. Mostly to just control the descent.

Epic scenery and perfect temperatures.

More descending

The roads are extremely smooth, but a lot more fun because at least they are not entirely flat.

Dukes of Hazzard camera angles

Sprocket really wanted to drive

Oh-o-Oh what a feelin'!

Toyota!

It's a long way down, and a long way to the top

Cause and effect...

We thought it would be a good photo if we drove right up to the edge

This is as closed as we dared get

Good times!

How long does it take for you spit to reach the ground?

Glamour shot

Back on the road

Modern day wagon train

Whoah!

Find the Gen1 Taco

A little bit scary

But a whole lot of cool

Makin' it look good

Wallpaper shot

Twisty roads

Me taking a photo of you taking a photo of me taking a photo of you... It never ends!

Narrow winding road...

Not a good time for a flood

Along the river for a spell...

Who decides this would be a good place for a road?

This is Hey Joe Canyon

Between the spires!

And coming to the end of our adventure...

Squirrel?

Despite the flat-hats taking a lot of the character out of the road, it was kinda nice to be nicer to my $35k toy. And the views are still spectacular.

If you want to get a permit, it's best to call and nag the Canyonlands NP visitor center. It's really hard to get White-Crack, but a lot of people actually prefer Murphy Campsite A (the one we used) On top of Island in the Sky Butte.

Thanks for reading.

dp
Old 11-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Big Metal Hubajube
oZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shedoZmonKey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SatCom Veteran
oZmonKey's Tacoma Gallery
1 Jelly Taco right here.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
So I ran the GoPro for many of the more interesting sections. I just threw together this YouTube video of the highlights;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIxVfpsTXQA

dp
Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Great pics and clean looking Taco
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Epic trip! This looks like the perfect adventure. I must run it one day.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
Indian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ashil
Indian Shifter's Tacoma Gallery
nice
Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Thanks for the kind words!

dp
Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Great Pics!! I keep coming back to look at them and get myself pumped for my trip down in May!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Russ
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
truly breath taking footage. I think my palms were getting sweaty watching those drops
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
mk7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mk7's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, I want to do this.