Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Blake's 2012-2013 Backpack Across the World Trip

Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Blake's 2012-2013 Backpack Across the World Trip

The title pretty much says it all. I'm planning to buy a one way ticket out of Texas in 2012 not knowing if or when I'll return. I plan to sell all of what I own except what I take with me and some small stuff I'll need if I decide to come back. I've been toying with the idea for a while and decided with the new year coming on I'd make something of it. I figure one of three things will happen:

1. I'll get tired of traveling and fly back home
2. I'll travel until I'm broke and fly back home
3. I'll fall in love with some other part of the world and stay

While there's a slim chance of number one happening, the other two are possibilities and I'm okay with either. The story behind this trip is long and involves personal details of my life that I don't necessarily want posted on the internet. I'll work on writing out the story and editing it to where I can post it here.

I have a list of places I want to go. I have a list of things I want to see. I'm making this thread as a place to compile ideas and information in peparation of the trip. Follow it if you want. Share stories, ideas, pictures, whatever. Just don't bring negativity.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
joshy523 is a splendid one to beholdjoshy523 is a splendid one to beholdjoshy523 is a splendid one to beholdjoshy523 is a splendid one to beholdjoshy523 is a splendid one to beholdjoshy523 is a splendid one to beholdjoshy523 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Josh
joshy523's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with that, i have travel a bit myself and at the end Im always happy to be back home, the old good US of A
Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a movie scit.

Ever seen Into the Wild?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Davidson is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Cody
Davidson's Tacoma Gallery
Knowing the people in this forum, someones going to try and bring negativity. But IMHO i thinks that's badass. I've always dreamed of one day getting to travel Europe, Italy more specifically, and do plan on doing it when the time is right. If its your dream, then go for it! It'll most definitely be an experience you can share for the rest of your life. Anyways, good-luck!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Hope you find happyness blake
Old 12-28-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
If it was me I would start in New Zeland or Australia and work my way back.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck to you. I travel all over the world frequently for my job.
Best advice I can give you........BE CAREFUL !! watch your back. Carry a weapon
for self defense if you can (hard to do when changing countries). What you are planning can be VERY dangerous. Best of luck to you.
Im NOT trying to be negative, just telling you to be careful !!!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck and enjoy!
I did that in away. I am from South Africa and ended up in the USA and decided to stay here.
I would recommend that when you sell everything, keep maybe $2k - $5k or so in a bank account here so that if in case you come back you have something to take care of your immediate needs - it is tough to start from scratch.
ENJOY!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
If you follow through with this you are.....

MY HERO!

Seriously, that is awesome. There are very few people that could give you REALLy good advice because how many people have done what you are about to do? Having said that, I can think of some unqualified advice to give you.

I would stick with places that either speak English as their primary language or countries that have alot of ESL speakers.

Secondly, are you going to have a ticket back available or would that make it to easy to bail on your adventure if things get tough? I personally would have a quick way to get back to the States but I can understand if you don't want that option.

It depends on how easy you think travel will be once you get to your starting destination; If you think it may be tough I wouldn't go to Australia to start. Getting around Europe/Asia--and heck even Africa would be alot easier as they are all accessible by land from each other. Australia (though awesome) would be harder to get out of if things go bad and you run out of money. Maybe get your traveling legs under you for awhile in Europe, you know, get a feel for what it takes to live that lifestyle, and then head down to Australia/New Zealand and then jump up to Asia if your trip lasts that long and you haven't found your place to settle down by then.

The fact that your even entertaining the idea of a trip like this makes me think you won't need this next advice but I will give it anyway: Don't be a tourist. Connect with the culture of wherever you go. Don't be an American in whatever countries you go to; immerse yourself in your host countries lifestyle. That would be one of the most exciting thing about living in a foreign country to me, especially if I sold everything I had in the US of A and was looking to start a new life.

Enjoy yourself dude, I daydream of trips like yours, only at the end of mine I come back home.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #10
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
If you follow through with this you are.....

MY HERO!

Seriously, that is awesome. There are very few people that could give you REALLy good advice because how many people have done what you are about to do? Having said that, I can think of some unqualified advice to give you.

I would stick with places that either speak English as their primary language or countries that have alot of ESL speakers.

Secondly, are you going to have a ticket back available or would that make it to easy to bail on your adventure if things get tough? I personally would have a quick way to get back to the States but I can understand if you don't want that option.

It depends on how easy you think travel will be once you get to your starting destination; If you think it may be tough I wouldn't go to Australia to start. Getting around Europe/Asia--and heck even Africa would be alot easier as they are all accessible by land from each other. Australia (though awesome) would be harder to get out of if things go bad and you run out of money. Maybe get your traveling legs under you for awhile in Europe, you know, get a feel for what it takes to live that lifestyle, and then head down to Australia/New Zealand and then jump up to Asia if your trip lasts that long and you haven't found your place to settle down by then.

The fact that your even entertaining the idea of a trip like this makes me think you won't need this next advice but I will give it anyway: Don't be a tourist. Connect with the culture of wherever you go. Don't be an American in whatever countries you go to; immerse yourself in your host countries lifestyle. That would be one of the most exciting thing about living in a foreign country to me, especially if I sold everything I had in the US of A and was looking to start a new life.

Enjoy yourself dude, I daydream of trips like yours, only at the end of mine I come back home.
I've thought about a lot of this. Still deciding where I want to start out. I do plan to stick to countries that speak mainly English or Spanish. A lot of the traveling I want to do by foot, bike, bus, etc. Not only to save on costs but also because I'm scared to death of flying As far as getting back. I plan to leave my parents enough money to book me a ticket back from wherever I am at the time. And you're absolutely right about your last bit of advice. I don't just want to see other parts of the world. I want to be those parts of the world. I want to fully take on the cultures of other countries and learn their lifestyles.

I'm going to work on getting the backstory of this trip posted up tonight while I'm on graveyard shift.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Enjoy Blake. There are lots of places I want to go, and like you said, kinda hard now.

Keep a smart phone and start a blog or something.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds awesome and I am a little jealous. If youre ever in this neck of the woods and need a lift then dont hesitate to give us a call. Cheers mate.

And yes I suggest keeping a journal of your travels. I did when I went on a trip to Europe and its always cool to read it time to time. There is always something cool that I forgot about. Good luck and take care.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Andres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
Andres's Tacoma Gallery
This sounds great!

Start in Ireland brother! plenty of Green over there. I feel in love with the country and it's people when I was over there.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
how are you going to handle travel visas? you cannot go skipping around without a plan can you?

having said that..i am jealous..start in southeast asia. your dollar will last forever..
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Good for you. And my only advice is take your time and enjoy. You won't regret it.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #16
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
The title pretty much says it all. I'm planning to buy a one way ticket out of Texas in 2012 not knowing if or when I'll return. I plan to sell all of what I own except what I take with me and some small stuff I'll need if I decide to come back. I've been toying with the idea for a while and decided with the new year coming on I'd make something of it. I figure one of three things will happen:

1. I'll get tired of traveling and fly back home
2. I'll travel until I'm broke and fly back home
3. I'll fall in love with some other part of the world and stay

While there's a slim chance of number one happening, the other two are possibilities and I'm okay with either. The story behind this trip is long and involves personal details of my life that I don't necessarily want posted on the internet. I'll work on writing out the story and editing it to where I can post it here.

I have a list of places I want to go. I have a list of things I want to see. I'm making this thread as a place to compile ideas and information in peparation of the trip. Follow it if you want. Share stories, ideas, pictures, whatever. Just don't bring negativity.

You're young and this is a perfect time to find your path and yourself. I applaud you for making this choice and it takes major balls to go through with it. You can one day look back at this moment in your life when you're older and say to yourself. That was one of the most epic times of my life.

I would keep a camera around and have tons of sd cards or memory sticks. The views, places, people, events, and WOMEN you meet will last forever. If I offended you with the WOMEN comment. Sorry, I'm going off the Barney Stitson character you have as I don't know if you're going off the Neil Patrick Harris actor. So if I offended you. . .

Let me adjust it. . The views, places, people, events, and "MEN" you meet!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #17
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post

You're young and this is a perfect time to find your path and yourself. I applaud you for making this choice and it takes major balls to go through with it. You can one day look back at this moment in your life when you're older and say to yourself. That was one of the most epic times of my life.

I would keep a camera around and have tons of sd cards or memory sticks. The views, places, people, events, and WOMEN you meet will last forever. If I offended you with the WOMEN comment. Sorry, I'm going off the Barney Stitson character you have as I don't know if you're going off the Neil Patrick Harris actor. So if I offended you. . .

Let me adjust it. . The views, places, people, events, and "MEN" you meet!

Blake, you gonna do this still?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Trains are the way to go in Europe bro. Once you get in the EU through customs and stuff you can train hop all over the countries. Monasteries sometimes will play host to a guest. A friend of mine just backpacked through Cambodia and Thailand. She stayed in a few YMCA type places for change per night. This is a hero thread right here. Like JaSkynyrd said, dont be an American tourist, dig in deep and have a damn blast.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #19
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Been a dream of mine forever. I''m gonna work my ass off for as long as I can and save as much money as I can, then do this for as long as I can before I run out of said money.

My plan is a longshot for me, but it sounds like your much farther along then I am. Good luck, and tell us where you are gonna start, and post along the way if you can!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
Trains are the way to go in Europe bro. Once you get in the EU through customs and stuff you can train hop all over the countries. Monasteries sometimes will play host to a guest. A friend of mine just backpacked through Cambodia and Thailand. She stayed in a few YMCA type places for change per night. This is a hero thread right here. Like JaSkynyrd said, dont be an American tourist, dig in deep and have a damn blast.
Hell yeah EuroRail. You can do a pass for a week, two, 3 ,30 days, etc. Hostels will be your friend as well. As TNDrew said Blake, go outside the comfort zone. Live life as a local would. I mean by all means see what tourists see, but just don't stick to that.....it's a hell of an experience when you live life as a local. Trust me. I've been all over the world and that's the best way to see it...