Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Camping recommendations

Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Camping recommendations

This year I'd like to escape the retardation that plagues most of the camping in this general area and head to Nevada, South Oregon, or far North in California. Can anyone recommend some spots you've been to that aren't packed full of yahoos? Close to water is the only requirement, might want to do a little fishing.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
should be plenty of help on here for you from CALI.. just dont know about today.. if not come back tomorrow and give it a bump
Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah considering it's superbowl Sunday I probably shouldn't anticipate many responses hehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty 06 4x4 View Post
should be plenty of help on here for you from CALI.. just dont know about today.. if not come back tomorrow and give it a bump
Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohbrian View Post
Yeah considering it's superbowl Sunday I probably shouldn't anticipate many responses hehehe.
its all good the weekdays and nights are bumping on here
Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Eagle lakes, CA.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...-9-11-a-5.html
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4th BCT 25th ID Airborne
Name: Wes
tencrawler's Tacoma Gallery
I am now in Stockton, but went to Oregon State for my undergrad (Go Beavs!). I highly recommend any Oregon State Park. They offer top notch facilities at great prices. They have a lot of pride in the grounds and amenities. Most, if not all, sites have power and water. If you don't want to tent camp, you can always find a cabin or yurt, and most have showers and wash stations. If you are looking at southern Oregon, I recommend Harris Beach, just north of the Ca/Or border. That is where we would meet up with Cali friends during school because it was just about in the middle. The beach access is great, the facilities are awesome, town is close enough for beer runs, and trails and opportunities to explore are abundant. Check out this link (the blue trees on the map are the overnight campgrounds). Good luck.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/searchpark.php
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Taco Roja

Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/spo...ng-thread.html

maybe a post in here will get you some suggestions
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
If distance isn't that big of a deal, about a 9hour drive from you there in fremont is Clear Lake in Oregon (near Sisters/Bend)...went there a few years ago, small quiet place that only allows non-motorized boats on its lake...the lake was stocked (not sure of the schedule though).

or there are some places up near mendocino that I doubt are as frequently used
Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Wrong direction... go south instead! Deserted beaches in Baja await Tacoma campers!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
You could not pay me enough to vacation in Mexico right now. There's too much drug/gang violence going on. I have been many times in the past since I live close to the border. Over the past few years its progressively gotten worse and worse. I had 1 friend who never made it back from Mexico
So, how do you shop or go to work... I mean, on the evening news where I live (San Diego County, CA) there are murders, robberies and more EVERY DAY!

The point is, bad stuff happens everywhere there are lots of people. The key is avoiding those places... so, I go camping far away from cities! I mean who camps in a city, anyway!??

As for Mexico crime, the great majority of it is between drug mafia and police. If you are not in the mafia or the police in Mexico, you are NOT a target. Can you say that about going to the store or work in your town... where you are much more likely to be the victim of a crime.

Are you going to live your life in fear and let that dictate your every move? If I am going to die, I would rather do so enjoying my life doing what I want than to live in fear, locked up in my home.

The way I travel and vacation in Baja since the 1960's has been pretty simple:
1) Travel through the border cities in the daytime or stay on busy main boulevards, if it is night. Avoid nightime driving if possible.
2) Camp far from the highway or off of roads that require 4WD to travel on. Otherwise stay in motels or campgrounds with others also doing the same.
3) Don't brake the law/ have illegal 'anything' on you/ and respect the country.

I feel safer and more 'at home' on the beach and 'outback' in Baja, than anywhere else.

The choice is yours, naturally! I invite anyone interested or curious about off road trips in Baja California to see my web site http://vivabaja.com with links to many Baja travel sites, history, maps, my personal trip photos and other Baja enthusiast' photos.

I am happy to help answer questions or plan a trip based on your interests. I have an 'index' to my trip photos grouped at many Baja locations (mostly the northern half), here: http://vivabaja.com/tours

A look at a longer trip into Baja Sur we did to the Loreto area (see places we stayed, things we saw) in July, 2009 is here: http://vivabaja.com/709 and our July, 2007 trip with 200 off road miles down the remote Pacific coast ('Seven Sisters'): http://vivabaja.com/707

Some sites in Baja:

Oh man, I can't wait to go back!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
So, how do you shop or go to work... I mean, on the evening news where I live (San Diego County, CA) there are murders, robberies and more EVERY DAY!

See that's the nice thing about camping and vacationing in the U.S....I am provided the right to bear arms and protect myself. I no longer travel to a shit hole country that requires me to be unarmed prey to some shithead looking to rob me, butt rape me, and then slit my throat and leave me to die. I shop, work, and live my every day life with my buddy springfield armory. I fish with my buddy springfield armory, I camp with my buddy springfield armory, I backpack with my buddy springfield armory, I hike with my buddy springfield armory, I sleep with my buddy springfield armory next to me.

So I choose to stay and vacation in this beautiful country.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
How about Lassen National Park, Crater lake, Trinity lake. Yosemite is always beautiful in the winter time. but lots of yahoos.

Brett
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
See that's the nice thing about camping and vacationing in the U.S....I am provided the right to bear arms and protect myself. I no longer travel to a shit hole country that requires me to be unarmed prey to some shithead looking to rob me, butt rape me, and then slit my throat and leave me to die. I shop, work, and live my every day life with my buddy springfield armory. I fish with my buddy springfield armory, I camp with my buddy springfield armory, I backpack with my buddy springfield armory, I hike with my buddy springfield armory, I sleep with my buddy springfield armory next to me.

So I choose to stay and vacation in this beautiful country.
Well, I am glad to not have someone with your negative views (and even after viewing my photos can call it a "shit hole") go to Baja and give us a bad rep with the great people of Baja who (like here) are 99% not hurting killing others. You may be the one who creates the bad karma you believe exists...?

America has many great places and I have enjoyed many of them... they are just not the same as one finds in Baja. Naturally, Baja isn't the kind of place for just anybody to enjoy, either... you are proof of that.

Unless you have been the victim of something bad, best not to spread rumors... but that is just my opinion.