Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Anyone Been To or From Scottsboro, AL?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone Been To or From Scottsboro, AL?

I was thinking about going out there this weekend, but my wife is concerned we will be bored. Why here of all places you ask, my parents bought a boat there that we are going to see. My wife and I are usually okay on a boat, but she is more concerned with our 1 and 3 year olds. So are there any family things to do in town?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
jaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jaw154's Tacoma Gallery
Did you try a Google search on it? Seems like that would yield the most results.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Not a lot going on in Scottsboro, that I'm aware of. It's located pretty close to Huntsville though, you can find plenty to do there.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw154 View Post
Did you try a Google search on it? Seems like that would yield the most results.
Yeah, not much there except the Unclaimed Baggage Center.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Not a lot going on in Scottsboro, that I'm aware of. It's located pretty close to Huntsville though, you can find plenty to do there.
Any ideas there?

I did see that it is just 55 miles from Chattanooga, I've been there before, real nice.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else? Anything in the Greater Scottsboro Metropolitan Area (within 50-60 miles)?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have kids, so, I don't know what they do. The Space and Rocket Center is well worth seeing for you and the little lady, kids not so much I'd guess. Chatanooga is a cool town, Ruby Falls, Rock City the Chatanooga Choo Choo, Racoon Mountain.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I have been several times. There is not much to do but, you're not far from Huntsville (which seems to be having some weather damage) and Chattanooga. Both of which have a little more to do.

Did you say you were going to see a boat? Use the boat. I've been several times and each time I've only arrived by boat from Pickwick Lake (down stream from Scottsboro). Go south and west because if you go north you WILL need to stay in the marked channel due to sea weed (forget the name but, it's not native and it is hard on the boat) and the locks are only manned during certain periods. If you head south you can lock through no problem around the clock so long as you're not waiting on a barge to lock through.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #9

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
GD, if you coming from Pickwick, that's a long boat trip... I live less than three miles from Wilson Dam, (the barrier between Pickwick and Wilson Lake). By automobile, that's a hundred miles or so, by boat, it's still a long haul..
Old 03-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
GD, if you coming from Pickwick, that's a long boat trip... I live less than three miles from Wilson Dam, (the barrier between Pickwick and Wilson Lake). By automobile, that's a hundred miles or so, by boat, it's still a long haul..
It's a ride, we've done it the last three years. We are on the river at least four days, we always stop a Joe Wheeler (both directions) and stay in one of the cool cabins (they call them cottages) where we can dock the boat almost at the door of the cabin we are staying in.

http://www.alapark.com/joewheeler/Lakeside%20Cottages/

BTW, during the off season thru the week the room rates are about half price and can be rented by the day.

It's a cool trip, the Tennessee River is much better then going down or up the Mississippi for smaller craft.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #11

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Joe Wheeler is a great state park, with a very nice golf course. That would be a fun trip.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Joe Wheeler is a great state park, with a very nice golf course. That would be a fun trip.
It's a great trip. When you get away from the towns, not that they are that big, the view is great.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
cbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
cbr04's Tacoma Gallery
I drive through Scottsboro every time we head to Huntsville from Atlanta. Yea not much to do there. Head to Huntsville. You won't be as bored there.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Well I made the trip and of course wouldn't you know it we were under a Tornado Warning all day Friday. All though Saturday turned out beautiful my wife wanted to head home, so we flew out that afternoon.

As all of you have mentioned, there was nothing to do there, except the Unclaimed Baggage Center, got some really good deals there.