1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timeshares?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by kris77, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    My wife mentioned a timeshare yesterday.

A few people i work with have them and they seem to think its a pretty good deal. I know nothing about them or how they work or anything.

We are planning a trip to disney this year so my 3yr old can see mickey and all that. And there is a timeshare company offering to pay for 90% of a week long trip if we take one day and sit through a 4 or 5 hour long sales pitch.

I'd like to know how they work and basically if it would something I would be interested in before we take that offer. I don't see how i can save us money in the long run. The only up side to it, is i can deed it to my son and when I die, he gets it for the rest of his life. So it basically will be his timeshare for his lifetime.

Just wondering if anybody here has one and if you think it was a good idea or not?

2. Mar 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    There are so many pros and cons to a timeshare that would take up an encyclopedia. It's mind boggling. Do not listen to the pitch men there and do not take advice over the net. This is property and you can get in over your head real quick. Listen to the hour speach but consult a realestate attorney before committing.

3. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    How good are you at saying "no" to someone who will not take "no" for an answer?
    Timeshare people are the most hardcore, hard-sell people in the business world.
    You say "no"
    They ask "why not?"
    You answer.
    They counter your objection.

One by one, they leave you with no reason to say "no"

The 4-5 hour sales pitch will last 6 or more, and you will be trapped. Their shuttle will take you to a remote location and you're stuck until THEY are done with you. You can't simply walk out.

4. Mar 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I figured as much.

5. Mar 15, 2012 at 4:23 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    But if you have the time to sit for their BS, you can score hotel accommodations + park tickets for your time...

The whole fallacy regarding timeshares was brought down when people started dumping their units on Ebay and Craigslist.

The true expense on it is not the "mortgage" payments is on the "maintenance fees".

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Mar 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    Yes! And when the other share holders sell guess who picks up the tab? The association fees on a 1M condo is not cheap.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    my dad and stepmom belong to RCI, which is a timeshare company with resorts and houses all over the world. they bought in a very long time ago (2 weeks in nantucket and one week in montauk, long island) and the thing they love about it is you can "trade" one of your weeks in wherever you bought for a week in an "equivalent" timeshare someplace else in the world (and it doesn't have to be the same week). they have traveled all over the country and the world using this company's resorts.

if i were going to buy a timeshare, i would probably go this route rather than being locked into just one location, and the same week year after year.

i have never looked into the financial aspect of a timeshare only because times and circumstances change. i don't think they are so easy to sell if you want to get out. i do know, as mentioned above, they use the "hard sell" most of the time and if it's that great of a deal, why the hard sell? i'd be very cautious.

8. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    im friends with twin brothers i went to high school with ... in the last 3 years i think me and them have used the timeshare more than their sister who actually has it

edit: to backup what jackhart has said, i dont know where the original timeshare is, so far we have used it in kissimee, fl, south lake tahoe, ca and mt hood, oregon

9. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    1) They are mostly all like that, specially after the industry consolidation.

2) The hard sell part? They are model like a gym. For every 5 paying customers, one (1) shows up!

10. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    reminds me of that south park episode in aspen

11. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    PCHearn

PCHearn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner SR5
    You said "The only up side to it, is i can deed it to my son and when I die, he gets it for the rest of his life. So it basically will be his timeshare for his lifetime." What you will be giving your son for a lifetime is the obligation to pay maintenance fees, whether he ever uses the timeshare or not. And if he tries to sell the timeshare, he'll find out is it worth exactly nothing. I've owned timeshares for many, many years. I know what I'm talking about. I'm not saying that you should not do it. Just be VERY careful before you buy anything.

12. Mar 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    dont do it. horrible investment.

with all the fees and stuff, you can just pay for a hotel..when you do travel.

now if you use someone else's timeshare..win.

To Top