Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

The "1090 Trip": Endurance boating

Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #41
A-TRAC Equipped
speedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
speedydave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
Where/how is the Bogue? I haven't been on that one.
It goes from the Swansboro area to Morehead City.

I'm glad they had a good 1st day!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #42
Stickers and new floormats arent Mods
weiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JK
weiser5150's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #43
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Sup JK! long time no post..... Come to the Ocala wheeling meet in may.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #44
Stickers and new floormats arent Mods
weiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JK
weiser5150's Tacoma Gallery
will do Colin.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #45
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lol, that didn't take much convincing
Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #46
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
Sub - this is gona be interesting
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #47
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
What great trip!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #48

Hey guys, sorry i haven't updated this thread in a couple of days. i've been overloaded with work this entire week. I will hopefully get a post up later tonight covering their progress from the last 3 days. They've had some minor engine troubles involving the exhaust, but were able to overcome them, staying both safe and on-schedule.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #49

Alrighty, so again, my apologies for the lack of updates. i've been real busy this entire week.

They made a 70 mile trip on tuesday to Sebastian, which jsut so happens to be jsut down the road from me, so i was able to drive down and have dinner with them. at that point, the only issue they had was some stainless hardware that had come loose and gone missing that held together one of the seats on the boat. It was very windy earlier in the week, so all of the bouncing through the chop must have shaken it loose.

Wednesday was their longest leg of the trip, at 110 miles. they made it in right around 6.5 hours, with stops, which is pretty impressive considdering the issue they had. one of the clamps on the exit piping from the exhaust manifold snapped, causing all of the hot seawater that was just used to cool the engine to pour into the bilge instead of exiting the boat. with the combination of keeping their speed up with the hull plugs out, and having the bilge pump switched from the float switch to constant on, they were able to make it to the marina in Daytona, where thye were able to fix it.

Today they made it safely to jasksonville, where the boat will be drydocked for 3 wheeks, so they can fly back to virginia and my father can take care of his business. While it's in the marina, they are having the techs there pull the exhause manifolds. if there is anything wrong with the manifuld itsself and not jsut the connections to the exit plumbing, they will be replaced by the time they return for the remainder of the journey. They are flying back to Jacksonville on May 12.

here are some pictures of what fun they've had since tuesday:

Some drooling material they docked next to

St. Augustine: a very vibrant area. they are trying to stay in small bed and breakfasts along the way instead of hotels, to avoid the more touristy areas and crowds. st augustine was no exception

very quaint part of town, which i'm told had a great nautical vibe, no matter where you went.

beef jerkey heaven

then my dad went a little nuts when he fount the weapons store

Owner of the bead and breakfast making whipped cream to go with breakfast

flagler college

Old school building in the historic area

Come thursday, they got hit pretty good by some serious storms we have in the area. the same formation gave us hail, flooded roads, and power outages here in Melbourne today.

here are the pictures from thursday when they ran into the flooding issue
you can see there has been a slow leak for the last few months due to the rust below the exit of the manifold

such a small, easily looked over piece can cause very major issues. when this little guy broke loose, hot exhause water poured into the engine compartment.

the techs that looked at it suspect there is a small crack in the manifold which cause small amount of moister (very salty moisture) to get out and corrode the clamps. the will be taking them apart in the next few weeks to verify. all of the other stainless hardware in the engine compartment is spotless, so i'd believe the diagnosis of water getting to only the clamps causing jsut them to rust.

the two friendly techs

How my parents would rather be making the trip if it weren't for time constraints

one of the many beautiful sights along the waterway

Mandatory drinks at the end of each day

Engine hours and location are recorded in regular intervals

Cruising speed. funny part is the tangled mess of track lines on the right side of the GPS screen. those are the track lines from the month before when we were all out wakeboarding.

when on the water, redundancy is key. in addition to the garmin unit built into the boat, they are also using an ipad to track their location, weather, and anything else they may need. they get 4g for it via verizon, and said they haven't lost service yet.

they've said that this is one of the biggest holdups so far. these are all over the place in florida, which makes forward progress slow going at times

And that's all i've got for now. if they send me any more pictures, i'll post them up. otherwise, the next updat will probably not be until mid May when they return for the remainder of the trip, going from north florida to virginia in 2 hard weeks.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #50
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome so far, tell your mom thanks for the drink she handed us!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #51
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Cool trip idea! Tell them when they pass points 7,9 or 10 I'll wave lol
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Looks awesome so far, tell your mom thanks for the drink she handed us!
tried to grab your computer screen too huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
Cool trip idea! Tell them when they pass points 7,9 or 10 I'll wave lol
lol, that'll be a while.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #53
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
subbed looks like it will be a cool trip!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #55

I don't. I'm a senior at Florida tech.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #56
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
I don't. I'm a senior at Florida tech.
Rgr that, I work with people from Duluth, GA. It's funny that you caught their sign in the background. I used to live down in Destin and worked for the Air Force for awhile at Hurlburt Field, FL, my sister is a Senior at FSU.

I loved it down there, when my kids get a little older, I'm moving back!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
that's funny, i have been to every place in st augustine that you pictured (except that b&b)
my parents got married in the st augustine lighthouse and my grandparents live in st aug
I really want to go there now. looks like a beautiful area!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #58

Got one last batch of pictures from the final day

they have been very lucky so far and not tun into any storms while out on the water. They've hit some pretty rouch chop due to high winds, but on the last day, they were a little further inland and the wind had dissapeared, leaving them with a glassy surface. makes me want to grab the wakeboard

ariving at the marina the boat will be drydocked at for the next 3 weeks.

turns outthey exceeded the maximum height for indoor storage, so they had to fold up the wakeboard tower to make things work.

there she goes

I thought this next sequence of photos was very inspirational, with a great story to go with them. I will just copy my dad's comments on each picture, but first, i would like to say that the below is 100% what traveling is all about. Similar to overlanding/expedition off roading in a 4x4, the most visible purpose of this trip is to make it from point A to point B, safely, and efficiently, while enjoying yourself along the way. That is fantastic, but what really adds to these trips, be them by water or land, are the experiences along the way. It started with the old family friends they visited the first day. then there was the sweet woman at the bed and breakfast, treating them like family, and now this fellow. He is an adventurous spirit with a love for the water. i'll let my father's comments explain therest..........

"One hour after we arrive from Miami, traveling all week, Gilles Girrard arrives in his 23 ft. sailboat sailing 1,600 miles straight from Puerto Rico. A character in a character boat, born in France, he's from Washington, DC of all places (must be something in the water there) and we share some great conversation (and a little too much of his Puerto Rican rum)." -Phil Barbalace (my father)

"Gilles keeps in touch with his wife in DC where she works for CBS News with this ACR sateillite transponder. He pushes one button to give his position and indicating he's ok. Another button is for emergency use." -Phil

"He attracts attention with this rig in no time." -Phil

"Gilles: he was a highlight of the last day of our trip." -Phil

So here's to Gilles, a man I wish I had the pleasure of meeting, as we wish him a great trip and a safe return to his wife

This entire trip, my parents have had 2 folding biked stored on the boat for transportation once they reach their destination each day. they enjoyed today by going for a nice ride and relaxing on the beach before their flight tomorrow, where they will return to Washington DC for 3 weeks of reality before finishing the trip.

And this is the final picture i received.......
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #60

ah sheet! kinda forgot about the thread since when they started back up, I wa getting heavy into exams and packing up my stuff to leave florida for 3 months. They did make it, though they ran into some other complications (1 including a tow). I have a ton of pictures from them that I will add with a recap of the rest of their trip when i get a chance.