1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The "1090 Trip": Endurance boating

Discussion in 'Travel' started by colinb17, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Hey everyone, I started this thread to document a trip that my mother and father have just left on. it is called the "1090 trip". in the boating world, there is a route known as the "great circle loop". It is an established loop that is designed to be 100% navicable by boats of just about any size. only limitation is how daring you want to be. it allows you to see a great veriety of land and waterscapes across a good part of the country. It is roughly 6000 miles to complete.

here is a map of the great circle loop, or "the greatest loop" as titled in the map:

[​IMG]

My parents have intentions to complete the great circle loop, hopefully in the next 5 years or so, but they are wanting to sell the current boat and get a slightly larger one beforehand (something you can sleep on).

what they left for today is the 1090 trip. it is a 1,190 mile "warm up" trip that goes from Miami, Fl. to Hampton, Va. they are making the journey in a completely open 22 footer.

The trip has been in the works for about a year, when the planning started.

Below is a map of their projected daily progress. originally the plan was to start in virginia and end in florida, but they are now going the other direction, so the mileage numbers are added in the wrong direction, however the dailt legs remain the same.

[​IMG]

here is another map that's easier to see, jsut without the mile markings

[​IMG]

though their trip only started today (4/15/2012), the boat's journey started in january. I towed the boat 900 miles from their house vienna, virginia, to where i live in melbourne, florida. I stored, maintained, and of course had a little fun with the boat for a few months.

they flew into melbourne, saturday 4/14, and sunday 4/15, we left at 7:00am to trailer the boat the last 180 miles from melbourne to miami.
    after a quick lunch at a delicious hole in the wall cuban resturaunt, we launched the boat and they may they got on their way to Ft. Lauderdale.

here are the pictures from 4/15/2012 (melbourne to miami to ft lauderdale)

picket them up at their hotel
    [​IMG]

a good hearty Cuban meal before they hit the water
    [​IMG]

last minute loading and prep before launch
    [​IMG]

glamour shot of the truck :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

last time the boat will see it's trailer for over 1000 miles of water.

[​IMG]

sending off my arguably insane parents.

[​IMG]

leaving miami

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last communication was a picture showing they had made it to the marina in Ft. Lauderdale via a picture of what i can only assume was a rum punch and pina colada filled dinner

[​IMG]

on a side note, i faced a little challenge of my own. I will be headed back up to virginia with the boat trailer in about a month to pick them up, and spend the summer up there. the challenging part......i have an off road trailer i pull to transport all of my tools, equipment, and "toys" back and forth. i have to get both the 900 miles north, but didn't want to mess around with pulling a road train. so it was off to the drawing board to figure out how to load my trailer onto the empty boat trailer.

first attempt didn't work out so hot. if the tires were to drop off past the loading ramps there would be a risk of damaging the boat trailer.
    [​IMG]

lowered it back down and pulled it up the ramps a second time with no wheels, just rolling on the hubs. now it's all set to be loaded up and trailered back
    [​IMG]

My father is a professional photographer, so in his normal fasion, will probably be taking thousands of pitures. i will sort through what he sends me and update this thread with each completed leg of their trip.

hopefully this is entertaining to some of you, and for any boaters out there, maybe even a catalyst for the planning of your future adventure :)

"keep it between the navigational beacons"

-Colin

2. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
  3. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    if they snag up on any sandbars between jacksonville and georgia let me know.

edit

even our local FWC officers fuck up on he sandbars here ahahahah

[​IMG]

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    jbmccul

jbmccul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    Sub'd for progress!

5. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
  6. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    haha, will do Kameron. My dad's been boating the intercoastal for a good 40 years, but mistakes always happen. hopefully they hit at low tide if they anyhting does happen.

7. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Maverick904

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    check my edit haahahah

8. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    picture isn't working but i can imagine what it is lol. my brother was the last one really get us stuck. we hit a bar doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 to 40. slid about 40 yards and came to a stop, perched in ankle deep water. luckily it was low tide in a part of NC that has a pretty large tidal range, so we were abe to push ourslves off after a couple hours of kicking back, and getting a tan

9. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Maverick904

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    how bout meow?
    [​IMG]

shitty thing about up here is.. most places you sink to ur neck in mud :eek:

10. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    colin, that looks like an awesome experience, subbed for progress!!!

11. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    oh man, that's special. i'd imagine the operator at the time has yet to live that one down :laugh:

12. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Potential complications asside, i'm sure they're going to have a great time. i wish i was able to go along.

13. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    that far a trip, what kind of maintenance is the boat looking at? or none?

14. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    Maverick904

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    most boat maintenance runs off of hours...

since boats dont have transmissions when they cruise they run constant 3500 to 5500 or higher RPMS.

maintenance usually goes off of the 100 hour mark. so they should be fine on the general maintenance aspect if things were taken care of prior..which I have a feeling they were

15. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    haha, i would hope so too

16. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Awesome, subbed for sure.

17. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    we've calculated that the entire trip will put about 66 hours on the motor, which is about what we put on it in a standard summer. it will last the entire summer without any maintenance. normally, in mid august i perform any maintenance it needs before heading to florida, and then around early november it is winterized and stored until mid march. this time however, i left for florida in august without doing anything to it. it was winterized as usual, and i dewinterized it when i brought it down here in january. over the course of the few months i had it down here at my disposal, i checked over everthing to make sure it was in spec and performed the usual maintenance schedule.

so unless something breaks (completely possible on a trip like this), there is no expected upkeep for the duration of the trip. they'll just have to inspect the out-drive periodically, and keep an eye on all of the engine monitoring guages (temp, etc.)

18. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    When they do the loop. Are there any dams on the loop that they would have to take the boat out of the water to get around?

Also, if they didn't already. It would be good to sign up with Sea Tow, if they run across needing a tow. I had a buddy run aground here on a local lake at night. Sea tow would have charged $500 to tow him back, but the operator suggested to him to join for $99 & they would tow for free. So he joined & saved a bunch of $$.

19. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Long time members of sea tow. one of those things you hate paying for, but when you need it (have in the past), you're glad you did.

on the full loop, the boat is in the water 100% of the way. i am unsure of the quantity, but there are, however, several locks you have to go through. that is all along the inland portion though. the 1090 segment is an uninterupted shot straight through.

20. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    Maverick904

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    theres just numerous no wake zones :frusty:

To Top