Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

The "1090 Trip": Endurance boating

Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
The "1090 Trip": Endurance boating

Hey everyone, I started this thread to document a trip that my mother and father have just left on. it is called the "1090 trip". in the boating world, there is a route known as the "great circle loop". It is an established loop that is designed to be 100% navicable by boats of just about any size. only limitation is how daring you want to be. it allows you to see a great veriety of land and waterscapes across a good part of the country. It is roughly 6000 miles to complete.

here is a map of the great circle loop, or "the greatest loop" as titled in the map:

My parents have intentions to complete the great circle loop, hopefully in the next 5 years or so, but they are wanting to sell the current boat and get a slightly larger one beforehand (something you can sleep on).

what they left for today is the 1090 trip. it is a 1,190 mile "warm up" trip that goes from Miami, Fl. to Hampton, Va. they are making the journey in a completely open 22 footer.

The trip has been in the works for about a year, when the planning started.

Below is a map of their projected daily progress. originally the plan was to start in virginia and end in florida, but they are now going the other direction, so the mileage numbers are added in the wrong direction, however the dailt legs remain the same.

here is another map that's easier to see, jsut without the mile markings

though their trip only started today (4/15/2012), the boat's journey started in january. I towed the boat 900 miles from their house vienna, virginia, to where i live in melbourne, florida. I stored, maintained, and of course had a little fun with the boat for a few months.

they flew into melbourne, saturday 4/14, and sunday 4/15, we left at 7:00am to trailer the boat the last 180 miles from melbourne to miami.
after a quick lunch at a delicious hole in the wall cuban resturaunt, we launched the boat and they may they got on their way to Ft. Lauderdale.

here are the pictures from 4/15/2012 (melbourne to miami to ft lauderdale)

picket them up at their hotel

a good hearty Cuban meal before they hit the water

last minute loading and prep before launch

glamour shot of the truck

last time the boat will see it's trailer for over 1000 miles of water.

sending off my arguably insane parents.

leaving miami

Last communication was a picture showing they had made it to the marina in Ft. Lauderdale via a picture of what i can only assume was a rum punch and pina colada filled dinner

on a side note, i faced a little challenge of my own. I will be headed back up to virginia with the boat trailer in about a month to pick them up, and spend the summer up there. the challenging part......i have an off road trailer i pull to transport all of my tools, equipment, and "toys" back and forth. i have to get both the 900 miles north, but didn't want to mess around with pulling a road train. so it was off to the drawing board to figure out how to load my trailer onto the empty boat trailer.

first attempt didn't work out so hot. if the tires were to drop off past the loading ramps there would be a risk of damaging the boat trailer.

lowered it back down and pulled it up the ramps a second time with no wheels, just rolling on the hubs. now it's all set to be loaded up and trailered back

My father is a professional photographer, so in his normal fasion, will probably be taking thousands of pitures. i will sort through what he sends me and update this thread with each completed leg of their trip.

hopefully this is entertaining to some of you, and for any boaters out there, maybe even a catalyst for the planning of your future adventure

"keep it between the navigational beacons"

-Colin
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
if they snag up on any sandbars between jacksonville and georgia let me know.

edit

even our local FWC officers fuck up on he sandbars here ahahahah

Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for progress!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick904 View Post
if they snag up on any sandbars between jacksonville and georgia let me know.
haha, will do Kameron. My dad's been boating the intercoastal for a good 40 years, but mistakes always happen. hopefully they hit at low tide if they anyhting does happen.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

picture isn't working but i can imagine what it is lol. my brother was the last one really get us stuck. we hit a bar doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 to 40. slid about 40 yards and came to a stop, perched in ankle deep water. luckily it was low tide in a part of NC that has a pretty large tidal range, so we were abe to push ourslves off after a couple hours of kicking back, and getting a tan
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

how bout meow?

shitty thing about up here is.. most places you sink to ur neck in mud
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #11

oh man, that's special. i'd imagine the operator at the time has yet to live that one down
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
colin, that looks like an awesome experience, subbed for progress!!!
Potential complications asside, i'm sure they're going to have a great time. i wish i was able to go along.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
Resident Fishing Expert

Quote:
that far a trip, what kind of maintenance is the boat looking at? or none?
most boat maintenance runs off of hours...

since boats dont have transmissions when they cruise they run constant 3500 to 5500 or higher RPMS.

maintenance usually goes off of the 100 hour mark. so they should be fine on the general maintenance aspect if things were taken care of prior..which I have a feeling they were
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick904 View Post
so they should be fine on the general maintenance aspect if things were taken care of prior..which I have a feeling they were
haha, i would hope so too
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, subbed for sure.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #17

Quote:
that far a trip, what kind of maintenance is the boat looking at? or none?
we've calculated that the entire trip will put about 66 hours on the motor, which is about what we put on it in a standard summer. it will last the entire summer without any maintenance. normally, in mid august i perform any maintenance it needs before heading to florida, and then around early november it is winterized and stored until mid march. this time however, i left for florida in august without doing anything to it. it was winterized as usual, and i dewinterized it when i brought it down here in january. over the course of the few months i had it down here at my disposal, i checked over everthing to make sure it was in spec and performed the usual maintenance schedule.

so unless something breaks (completely possible on a trip like this), there is no expected upkeep for the duration of the trip. they'll just have to inspect the out-drive periodically, and keep an eye on all of the engine monitoring guages (temp, etc.)
Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
When they do the loop. Are there any dams on the loop that they would have to take the boat out of the water to get around?

Also, if they didn't already. It would be good to sign up with Sea Tow, if they run across needing a tow. I had a buddy run aground here on a local lake at night. Sea tow would have charged $500 to tow him back, but the operator suggested to him to join for $99 & they would tow for free. So he joined & saved a bunch of $$.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
When they do the loop. Are there any dams on the loop that they would have to take the boat out of the water to get around?

Also, if they didn't already. It would be good to sign up with Sea Tow, if they run across needing a tow. I had a buddy run aground here on a local lake at night. Sea tow would have charged $500 to tow him back, but the operator suggested to him to join for $99 & they would tow for free. So he joined & saved a bunch of $$.
Long time members of sea tow. one of those things you hate paying for, but when you need it (have in the past), you're glad you did.

on the full loop, the boat is in the water 100% of the way. i am unsure of the quantity, but there are, however, several locks you have to go through. that is all along the inland portion though. the 1090 segment is an uninterupted shot straight through.