Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Roadtrip: Las Vegas to Tampa

Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Roadtrip: Las Vegas to Tampa

Tomorrow I'll be setting out to Tampa to say goodbye to my mother-in-law before she passes. To be honest, I'm kind of nervouse because the farthest I've driven is 12 hrs and that was with my wife. To make matters more difficult I'll have my two dogs with me. Finding a motel/hotel that accepts pets for no extra charge is gonna be a pain in the ass.

I changed oil and air filter yesterday. Tire pressure and brakes are good. I'm trying to think if there's anything else I'm missing on the ol' taco.

Any tips from "cross country" drivers?

Thanks TW.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Just make sure if you get tired to pull off.
Also it would be a good idea to plan out what cities you want to stay the night at and call around for a cheap motel ahead of time. It really might be cheaper to fly, even with the dogs
Then I would have to rent a car while there. My dogs have never flown before and im not sure how they would handle it. Thanks for the input though.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
try staying at base hotels...the one here in tinker allows pets in some rooms i believe...
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
most dogs do just fine flying

xfeed: on
packs: auto
cargo heat: on
Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the reason for your trip. Thats a long drive so be safe buddy!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Firearm(s)
Cables
Gallon or two of water (JUST in case something blows and u need to add something to the radiator)
Obviously ur food

After 9 hours of straight driving the wife wanted me to rest so she decided to drive...
10 mins into it
"babe...babe wake up were getting pulled over" :O
Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Subd for later..
TacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
TacoRun's Tacoma Gallery
Don't run in packs with other cars. If you need to,then follow from a good distance. Most accidents that happen on the roads is caused by not being able to react fast enough because of limited visibility.

Don't rely on energy drinks to keep you awake. Use them as a back up plan to keep you awake to get you somewhere safe to rest for a while.

That's just my .02 cents.

Have a safe trip.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
try staying at base hotels...the one here in tinker allows pets in some rooms i believe...
Kirtland and Keesler were full. I was able to get into Sheppard. Navy Lodging doesnt allow pets. And no other services on my route.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
Firearm(s)
Cables
Gallon or two of water (JUST in case something blows and u need to add something to the radiator)
Obviously ur food

After 9 hours of straight driving the wife wanted me to rest so she decided to drive...
10 mins into it
"babe...babe wake up were getting pulled over" :O
Ha. That sucks. Bringing my G19 with me. Not sure on the weapon laws for the states im traveling thru.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Lateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant future

Name: Steve
Lateralus's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the reason you have to go that sucks..

I moved from Tampa to Vegas with my old truck and drove all by myself..

What is the route you are taking? You have a couple options here out west. But once you get past Texas you are limited. I think you have my cell? Hit me up and I can tell you how it went for me. It's was fun for sure!

Best of luck!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Ha. That sucks. Bringing my G19 with me. Not sure on the weapon laws for the states im traveling thru.
G19 is my go to choice too
Good point. Ck ur local state regs ref conceal carry and vehicle. To my understanding most of the times if ur only "passing through" you should be good to go
Old 06-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Kirtland and Keesler were full. I was able to get into Sheppard. Navy Lodging doesnt allow pets. And no other services on my route.
throw a tent and air mattress in the bed and camp along the way? might be cheaper and only one night at a time.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
throw a tent and air mattress in the bed and camp along the way? might be cheaper and only one night at a time.
Actually super 8 in Abq, nm is only $36. And looks like biloxi area is aeound $50.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Sorry for the reason you have to go that sucks..

I moved from Tampa to Vegas with my old truck and drove all by myself..

What is the route you are taking? You have a couple options here out west. But once you get past Texas you are limited. I think you have my cell? Hit me up and I can tell you how it went for me. It's was fun for sure!

Best of luck!
Thanks steve. My route is to Alburquerque, Wichita Falls, Biloxi, and Tampa.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Lateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant future

Name: Steve
Lateralus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks steve. My route is to Alburquerque, Wichita Falls, Biloxi, and Tampa.

From I 40 East of Albuquerque are you taking RR287 to Wichita Falls, then on to Dallas? Texas takes for ever to get through. That's was a day for me.

That's pretty much the same route I took. You will make better time than I did. I was pulling a trailer, slowed me down tremendously. I wasn't in any hurry and it took me 3.5 days to do it. By the time I hit New Mexico I was ready for it to be over.

It's an easy drive just LONG and a lot of beautiful scenery along the way.

Try and enjoy some of that.

Save travels!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Made it to albuquerque. Not to bad of a drive. Lots of construction on the roads. Truck avg 20 mpg.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #17
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
20mpg is great. Glad you guys are doing ok
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Made it to albuquerque. Not to bad of a drive. Lots of construction on the roads. Truck avg 20 mpg.
old town Albuquerque has some pretty good restaurants. stopped there when driving from san diego-okc.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Stopped in Wichita Falls for the night. Theres plenty of sunlight left but I slept like shit last night. Plus, tomorrow i'm shooting for biloxi which is the longest leg of my trip so I wanna make sure I get plenty of rest. Weird thing is @ 70 mph I was averaging 18 mpg compared to 75 mph@20 mpg.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Stopped in Wichita Falls for the night. Theres plenty of sunlight left but I slept like shit last night. Plus, tomorrow i'm shooting for biloxi which is the longest leg of my trip so I wanna make sure I get plenty of rest. Weird thing is @ 70 mph I was averaging 18 mpg compared to 75 mph@20 mpg.
different gas maybe? gotta be careful in some parts, might end up with 86 rather than 87 octane...almost did that on my trip out here...