Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Everest? Anybody been?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Everest? Anybody been?

I have had an obsession of sorts with Everest since I was in middle school and watched an IMAX 3D movie about the mountain. The Discovery channel Beyond the Limits thing didn't help matters either.

I work nights and have been plagued of late with bouts of insomnia, tonights insomnia has lead me to watch the George Mallory documentary. So the fires has been stoked again so to speak.

Has anybody here attempted to climb? Been to base camp or advanced base camp? Climbing it would be dream come true but realistically that would never happen. Id be happier than a pig in shit if I could just make a trek to advanced base camp and see the mountain that close.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
wilbur970 is on a distinguished road
wilbur970's Tacoma Gallery
Drew, I've never been but this is the trip I am training/planning for - http://www.redspokes.co.uk/cycling_h...g_Holiday&ID=4
Like you, I've been wanting to go since at least middle school - you need to set out a plan and do it! I'm rooting for you! Oh yeah, I think it was George Mallory, not Greg...
MG
Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
I have had an obsession of sorts with Everest since I was in middle school and watched an IMAX 3D movie about the mountain. The Discovery channel Beyond the Limits thing didn't help matters either.

I work nights and have been plagued of late with bouts of insomnia, tonights insomnia has lead me to watch the Greg Mallory documentary. So the fires has been stoked again so to speak.

Has anybody here attempted to climb? Been to base camp or advanced base camp? Climbing it would be dream come true but realistically that would never happen. Id be happier than a pig in shit if I could just make a trek to advanced base camp and see the mountain that close.
I have had the same obsession and would give anything just to go to base camp. Its definitely on my bucket list.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur970 View Post
Drew, I've never been but this is the trip I am training/planning for - http://www.redspokes.co.uk/cycling_h...g_Holiday&ID=4
Like you, I've been wanting to go since at least middle school - you need to set out a plan and do it! I'm rooting for you! Oh yeah, I think it was George Mallory, not Greg...
MG
Yeah .. I wrote greg for what ever reason. Definitely George!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #5

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Im sure you've read "Into Thin Air", The Longest Climb, Tragic Ambitions, Death Zones? If not get to it!!
No sir. None of the above. I have read Into the Wild and enjoy Krakauer a lot. I am reading Trout Bum as we speak and was looking for another book to start after that. Looks like you've set me up with a killer list. First its my sig, then some good reads. If I were near I'd buy you a brew or two!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
7 summits and no shortcuts to the top are good reads as well. I have EBC on my list as well as, maybe one day attempt a climb. My goal now is to climb 5 and see the other two (Everest and Vincent Massif). So far i have Kilimanjaro done, and a trip to Aconcagua in the planing stages.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
GO JETS GO
LMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
LMR's Tacoma Gallery
My friend and his wife attempted it but his wife got very sick and needed to be airlifted to a hospital. Cost them $5,000 just for the helicopter rescue.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is actually Medivac insurance available and is suggested that a $50k policy is minimum to purchase.

The climb is also a minimum 60k trip not to include garbage deposits and your entrance visa.

This is why I have never been and probably never will. I would love to go sometime in my life but the cost of it and the fact that you need to have specific training (for what, 4months to a year?) kinda makes it near impossible for me...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Getting to base camp isn't that expensive. I think the cost of the trip is only like 10k but u have to supply your own gear and stuff and its like 2 weeks i think just to get to base camp.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
3-4k plus flights and gear. and 2 or so weeks.

Id love to do the Annapurna loop trail. Look it up, would be an amazing adventure
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
I forget which guide service it is bit they offer a trip from the states to Nepal and the hike up the valley to base camp. 2 nights at base camp then the hike back out for something like 7500 bucks. I've though about it.

Read Into Thin Air. My all time favorite book. Probably read it a half dozen times. And am pulled into it each and every time
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #12

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i know one of the guys that was there doing the rescue. and not to start anything, but those guys made a lot of amateur mistakes that got a lot of people killed. that never should have happened
Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
A woman from BC died on her decent from the summit about a month ago , she had been unprepared for a summit attempt , was caught in a 4 hour traffic jam of over 250 climbers trying to summit that day , and refused to turn around and paid the ultimate price .

The news story showed the line up of climbers standing in the traffic jam for the top , all slowly freezing to death .

Quite an eye opener about what really goes on up there and how many people are actually on the mountain trying to summit .

I'll pass
Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
"The Snow Leopard" by Peter Matthiessen .. One of the great Himalayan classics, an account of a 2 month trek through the Dolpo region of Western Nepal in search of the snow leopard .. and meaning following the death of his wife.

From Amazon: "In 1973, Peter Matthiessen and field biologist George Schaller traveled high into the remote mountains of Nepal to study the Himalayan blue sheep and possibly glimpse the rare and beautiful snow leopard. Matthiessen, a student of Zen Buddhism, was also on a spiritual quest to find the Lama of Shey at the ancient shrine on Crystal Mountain. As the climb proceeds, Matthiessen charts his inner path as well as his outer one, with a deepening Buddhist understanding of reality, suffering, impermanence, and beauty."

http://amzn.com/0143105515
Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #15

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
On a side note, are there any rivers in Nepal to fish on for some funky trout? I think an ABC trek with a little fly fishing thrown in would be awesome.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
On a side note, are there any rivers in Nepal to fish on for some funky trout? I think an ABC trek with a little fly fishing thrown in would be awesome.
Surely there's some amazing streams in Nepal you could fish, maybe not right in the Himalayas but you know, somewhere close.

I've never wanted to climb Everest but that Annapurna loop would be a trip of a lifetime for me. I've also read Into Thin Air and Touching My Father's Soul by the head sherpa on the IMAX expedition. Great reads.

A somewhat related book that was INCREDIBLE to read was ALIVE: The Story of the Andes Survivors. Probably the greatest book I have ever read.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #17

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im sure you've read "Into Thin Air", The Longest Climb, Tragic Ambitions, Death Zones? If not get to it!!
I just finished Into Thin Air about 5 minutes ago. By far one of, if not the, best book I've ever read. Krakauer is a damn good author. Where Men Win Glory is pretty great as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just finished Into Thin Air about 5 minutes ago. By far one of, if not the, best book I've ever read. Krakauer is a damn good author. Where Men Win Glory is pretty great as well.
Personally, the best book you'll ever read.

Check out Into the Wild too
Old 08-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is actually Medivac insurance available and is suggested that a $50k policy is minimum to purchase.

The climb is also a minimum 60k trip not to include garbage deposits and your entrance visa.

60k ??? Wow there go my future plans of just picking up one day and heading over there on a whim to do the climb.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #20

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
check out touching the void and no shortcuts to the top. IMHO they are much better than into thin air (a good read as well)

Products Discussed in this Thread