1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road Trip: SD, MT, WY, ID, Banff

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ADCarter1, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    ADCarter1

ADCarter1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Maryland's Beautiful Farm Country
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    To break in my new Tacoma, my husband and I are taking a trip out west. It has taken me ten years to get him to do this with me. We're leaving mid-July.

Any hidden gems that we should know about? Great restaurants? Awesome local drives? I've done some research and know the obvious stuff (Beartooth Highway, Going to the Sun Highway, etc) but just wondered if there's something out there that can't be missed.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

2. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    comming to ID huh? What part specifically? Come over to the NW Regional section and ask some of the locals for details on some points of intrest for MT, WY and ID.

What are you looking to do specifically?

3. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah where are you going through each state

4. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    cobracommander

cobracommander Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Doublecab Longbox SR5
    Weathertech mats, Toolbox
    Good choice on coming up to Banff, that is where I grew up and where my parents still are. I'm back there every second weekend or so. We should talk and I'll tell you guys where to avoid and what you should definitely make time for.

5. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    The Better half and I are doing a train ride from Vancouver to Bamff in one week.
    Rocky mountianer train I think.
    We chose to fly up as opposed to driving and are looking forward to a fun trip.

There is great national parks and old lodges to stay at out west in Glacier, Yosemite, and Yellowstone along with other parks.

You will not regret the trip.
    Remember to scheduale some time in all the stops to take in the scenery and sights.

There are amazing national parks a bit south in Zion, Canyonlands, Grand canyon, area.
    If you are interested in ruins the Chaco Canyon in New mexico is unbelievable, also in Colorado is Mesa Verde.
    Of course Arizona has some cool places as well.New Mexico has some great sites too along with Chaco Canyon. The Pueblo sites are awesome, Taos is one not to be missed.
    Do you have a year to visit? :D

6. Jun 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    ADCarter1

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    Wow! Thanks everyone!

So far we're going to the national parks- Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton, Wind Cave- and just planned on doing a lot of driving and gawking. It's a pretty open trip. We're taking a month to do it so we've got the time to take detours.

We are NOT going to be camping. We don't mind hiking. I'm really interested in seeing the wildlife and the landscape. My husband doesn't care what we do as long as I find someplace to feed him three times a day.

If you have any wacky, weird, wild, out of the way places, please let me know. And thanks! You guys are awesome! If you need any East Coast or European travel advice, I'll be glad to reciprocate!

7. Jun 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    wilbur970

wilbur970 New Member

Member:
    Western Slope, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Long Bed
    Snugtop Rebel, front leveled and an AAL in the rear.
    Denise - Not sure when you are planning on coming through - the end of the Summer will be best to avoid the main crush of crowds in the parks you mention. I can hopefully help a little with some of the Yellowstone part...

Old Faithful Lodge is an amazing building, largest log structure ever built. If you can get a room you need to stay there.

The Lamar Valley in northern Yellowstone is a must, tons of wildlife and if you can drive it around dusk you will see wolves - take your time! You can enter the Lamar from either end, if you aren't camping try to stay in Cooke City, MT. Take/invest in some good binoculars, you won't be sorry. North of Yellowstone (Gardiner entrance), drive through Paradise Valley; hot springs in Chico, good food at the Old Saloon in Emigrant. You could easily make a really fun trip following the hot springs north from Yellowstone to Glacier to BC/AL.

Also, you will see more big game, including wolves and bears either early in the morning or towards evening, and ideally you need to be off the road. Have a great trip!

8. Jun 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    ADCarter1

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    Wilbur- Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have printed your email and packed it in with my maps so we'll have it when we get there. I am going to take your advice and follow the hot spring route. Actually, I'm going to take all of your advice but I needed a route through WY, MT through to BC/AL so you helped me decide the way. We leave mid-July, so unfortunately can't avoid the summer crowds. I'm a teacher and need to be back before school begins in mid-August.

We do have several pairs of good binoculars- they're a little bit of an obsession with my husband. As soon as I read your email, I got up and packed them so now I know I have them.

Thanks also for the animal viewing advice. We will now be taking some early morning and twilight rides. We had planned to do some night driving to find a good place to star gaze (my husband's sometime hobby) so we'll start a little earlier and follow your route.

Off the road as in, in the car or hiking?

Thanks for all your advice! It is really appreciated!

9. Jul 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    SD: black hills, sturgis, ..

MT: glacier nat'l park

10. Jul 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    If you are driving I90, which i suspect you are. Stop in Manhattan MT, and eat at a place called "Sir Scotts Oasis" Best steak in town hands down.

11. Feb 25, 2014 at 12:58 AM
    rileySB

rileySB RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    5100/887, Dakars, 285s, Built Right UCAs, Icon rears
    old thread revival- OP any pics from this adventurous road trip??

12. Feb 25, 2014 at 1:51 AM
    2012sporttrd

2012sporttrd Old Guy...In a Kids Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    N.Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC Long bed TRD Sport
    Stock w/access tonneau, Weathertech floor liners, OEM Bed Mat
    One from Glacier NP[​IMG]

13. Feb 25, 2014 at 1:56 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Lake O'Hara is pretty amazing, if you are into hiking, tenting, or can afford the lodge there. 3days there would do. West of Banff, just beyond Lake Louise.

or if camping out of the truck and day hikes (or backack trips) are more your style, its hard to beat the Kananaskis area just east of Banff, by Canmore. Never been in a cave before? There is a guided small group experience you can do there in a place called Rat's Nest cave. Its an adventure.

EDIT: Crap just noticed this thread is a few years old. lol.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
To Top