1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tell me what to do in Boston

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MSR, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Jun 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    MSR

MSR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oregon
    My son is 16 years old and has a "bucket list". One of the items on his list is to see Yankees vs. Sox at Fenway. Well, my girlfriend talked me into taking him. I have been all over the country but never to Boston. We got our air fare, game tickets (bleacher seats) and hotel. Spending five days there, I know about Salem, USS Ironsides and all the history there that I want to see. I really need recommendations on something that is "worth" seeing for me and a 16 year old son.

Also, I am a west coast guy and have no idea where the bad neighborhoods are in Boston and where I should stay away from. There are many places in Portland, Oregon that I would tell people to stay away from at all costs. I just wish I knew someone in Boston to let me know. Not renting a car, plan on taking transit to see the sights.

Thanks

2. Jun 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Well it depends, will you be rooting for Boston or NY :D

3. Jun 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

Do it! I was in NY watching a Sox and Yankee game back in 02.

4. Jun 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    MSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oregon
    Go Sox!!!

5. Jun 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    On a more serious note, check out these threads. They were created not too long ago and have some good suggestions about what to do/where to go in Boston. You'll have to omit a lot of the bar stuff because of your 16 year old son but still a lot of good ideas.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/travel/216252-road-trip-boston-help-ideas.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/north-east/219563-boston.html

There are some spotty areas but you'd probably have a pretty good idea if you ventured toward one of them. South Boston can be a little rough in some neighborhoods, same with Charlestown.

The north end is nice to spend an afternoon, you'll both enjoy Fanueil Hall, lots to do and see there. You can take a Boston Harbor cruise pretty cheap and see some of the islands in the Harbor. There are Duck Boat tours (amphibious trucks) that will take you on a tour of the city and also down the Charles River that might be interesting if you know nothing about Boston. There are some great museums in the area if you're into that sort of thing. There's the Museum of Science (more driven toward younger kids but still interesting), the Peabody Essex Museum, the Isabella Stewart Gartner Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts. Make sure to hit a dive for some lobsters and clam chower (say lobsta and chowda, they talk funny here, might as well play along).

I live very close to the city to feel free to ask any questions. I'm not a Boston native but have enjoyed a lot of the sights I just told you about when I moved here 5 years ago.

6. Jun 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    MSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oregon
    Thanks, I will look into it. I am really into the museums as I am a history buff. My son is at the age where he just cares about the game and his girlfriend. But I think I can warm him up to the historical stuff. He has never been to the east coast, I think it will be an eye-opener for him. The culture is different there compared to what he is used to. At least he can actually see the stuff that he has read about in school.

7. Jun 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Tons and tons of stuff to do in Bean Town. Plenty of good ideas in those threads. If your into history then do the freedom trail. Also I know you said you wern't driving anywhere but I highly recomend going to Plymouth and seeing Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower II. I the T even has a line going down to there now, plus they have some nice beaches.

8. Jun 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    MSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oregon
    We were lucky, my girlfriend has sky miles enough for 2 free air fare tickets. We are trying to go a little cheap, unlike our Vegas vacation last November. We plan on doing the Fenway tour, the Cheers bar (although I heard it is not that big of a deal, I just want a picture outside the main entrance) and I really want to eat soft shell crab, somewhere that is good. Good seafood restaurant recommendations I would appreciate also. My freezer is full of salmon and I am sick of it, need something different.

Funny story about last time I was on the east coast: I was in Pittsburgh with my ex shopping at some mall. Some guy heard me talk and said, "You from Canada or somptin"? In that accent. I said, "no, Oregon". He proceeds to ask, "Oregon, isn't that next to Wyoming?" So I had to tell him it was just above California.

9. Jun 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    The bar from the show cheers is there. There is a neat cemetery right in town, I forget who is buried there it was a long time ago when I was there,,driving isn't very fun.

10. Jun 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    MSR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oregon
    The Freedom Trail is on the list. I am still debating on renting a car to do the Plymouth Rock thing. I just need to narrow things down into 5 days. Is the water warm there at the beaches? In northern Oregon and Washington the water is cold all year but feels good on a hot day.

11. Jun 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    In Plymouth the water will be on the cooler side. It's on the bay side/northern side of Cape Cod, The southern side gets a bit warmer.

To Top