Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Baja California, Mexico (2012) in a Tacoma for 15 days:

Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #81
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to believe it has been a year since this epic 15 day Baja trip!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #82
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
you do get a lot of mileage from the same thread(s).
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #83
schwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
schwangster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Hard to believe it has been a year since this epic 15 day Baja trip!
Going again this fall or winter?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #84
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, we just moved and that has consumed us this summer. We did a 3 day trip over Memorial Day weekend (trip report posted here) to Shell Island (south of San Felipe)... and have no plans for another trip, although I would love to go today, if I could... Baja is just so awesome that it never ceases to amaze and entertain me.

Have you read my travel articles about many places in Baja to visit, on Baja Bound? Please enjoy: http://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/
Old 06-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #85

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Summer is fast approaching... and Baja is calling my name!!! Anyone else have 'Baja Fever'???
Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #86
schwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Summer is fast approaching... and Baja is calling my name!!! Anyone else have 'Baja Fever'???
JUST finished talking with my wife about doing a trip in Aug. Came up with the idea about 4 hours ago.
hmmmm
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #87

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwangster View Post
JUST finished talking with my wife about doing a trip in Aug. Came up with the idea about 4 hours ago.
hmmmm
Of course (unless you stick to the Pacific Coast) August is the hottest and most humid month in Baja... specially once you are over 200 miles south of the border or on the gulf side. It is also hurricane season, so keep an eye out on the weather forecasts. Hurricanes in Baja usually mean lots of rain and that can wash out roads.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #88
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Day 13-d

The painted cave was just plain awesome, and another of the Wonders of Baja that keep us going back, no matter how much the American media attempts to scare us away from Mexico!

I did some more research into this cave site, as it is one of the grand ones. It would surprise me if a rancher named Arce was the first to find it, in 1990. I have both versions of Harry Crosby’s ‘The Cave Paintings of Baja California’ (1975 & 1997). In the newer Sunbelt edition, I found it mentioned on pages 236 and 237. This cave was seen by Leon Diguet in 1895, who called it ‘The Cave of el Carmen’, but the location was not exact (Diguet said it was between Calmallí and Santa Gertrudis) and Crosby never found it during his travels to the painted caves.

We left the parking area for the cave hike at 5:00pm and we still had 2-3 hours of light to get there and set up our camp, we didn’t know it yet, but Punta San Francisquito would not turn out to be the ideal camp spot as I had envisioned.

Here is a road log and comments from Pozo Aleman to Punta San Francisquito:

00.0 Pozo Aleman entrance at graded road between El Arco and San Francisquito (approx. 2.5 miles from El Arco).

00.4 Road right to/from Mision Santa Gertrudis (20.9 miles).

07.0 Road left to La Unión ranch.

09.5 Cross El Camino Real, the mission road built in the 1700’s here between Mision Santa Gertrudis and Mision San Borja. To the left, it has been turned into an auto road to La Unión. To the right, just a straight trail to the southeast. See map.

13.2 Road south to Guillermo Prieto and Highway #1 (near Vizcaino) in 38 miles. It crosses the Mision Santa Gertrudis road in 12.3 miles (12.8 per the Baja Almanac).

14.9 Piedra Blanca, a ranch and guest resort offering accommodations, meals, guided tours, and more.

In just about 10 miles the peninsular divide is reached with a view of the Sea of Cortez and the many islands offshore. This was once the top of a very steep grade called La Cuesta de la Ley (The Grade that Rules). However, it was totally re-graded in the early 1980’s so 4WD is no longer needed.

26.0 Bottom of Cuesta de la Ley.

33.0 El Progreso, ranch. Road east curves to the left, road to El Barril forks to the right.

33.6 ‘T’ Junction: Left (west) is road to Bahia de los Angeles, access in 1.5 miles. Right is main road east.

33.8 Rancho Escondido road right, tourist services offered.

44.7 Gated entrance to Cala or Puerto San Francisquito ahead, turn right for Punta San Francisquito Resort. Soon drive along airport runway on dry lake bed.

46.7 Punta San Francisquito Resort. Damaged by recent earthquake, but open for business (meals, rooms).

It is 6:20pm and the sun is still up, but not for a whole lot longer. We have a look around and chat with the lady in charge, who was watching TV. It is windy, waves are crashing on the beach and setting up camp here would be a chore. We also didn’t get a very receptive greeting even though there were no other guests there. When I asked the lady about that, she just said it was too hot for tourists, and returned to watching TV.

We decide to push north for Bahia San Rafael, 35 miles away… We get to San Rafael at 7:30, and the man who runs the camp there, Pancho, is gone and his house is locked up. There are fishermen shacks and one man is there. We drive down onto the beach to have a look at the one palapa on the sand for camping. It doesn’t look real inviting. We see a few coyotes nearby, and I capture one with my camera who is brave enough not to run away. There is another access road onto the beach a bit north, so we turn around and drive back out on Pancho’s driveway to drive 2.1 more miles north to the other beach. That works out perfect for us. We set up camp with ease (love that easy-up tent), make dinner, and enjoy campfire time before turning in for a great night’s sleep!

Maps & Photos:

Guest rooms at Piedra Blanca.

Ball moss on a boojum (cirio) tree.

La Cuesta de la Ley.

Gate and signs make it not very inviting to go to the cove on the sheltered bay.

This way is open and inviting. Unlike the way it is shown on the map, the graded road goes directly to the cove (Cala San Francisquito) entrance gate, 2.0 miles past the resort.

Along the airstrip.

Punta San Francisquito Resort.

Leaving, we take one more look at the runways.

This is the grade shown on the map as Puerto el Portezuelo.

Sunset, just a few miles from San Rafael.

On the beach, just beyond Pancho’s and the fishermen shacks.

Tomorrow (Day 14) we head for Bahia de los Angeles and meet up with old friends…

================================================== ============

Hey David, Back on July 4th 2011, my wife and I and another couple took a private plain down to Baja.

Me as copilot flying into Baja.

We landed in Punta San Francisquito on that little dirt air strip and had a couple of fish Taco's. We were there only for about two hours and then took off for Mulege.It was really hot there and I had on the wrong shirt.

This is my wife and her friend getting out of the plain.

Looking north at the little store on the beach.

Then we landed at the air strip in Mulege next to the hotel Serenidad and stayed there for the night, but first we were paid a visit by the Federalies. No issues though.

We took a cab into Mulege but then walked back along that river that dumps into the Sea of Cortez.

Me under that highway bridge.

My lovely wife walking down the road next to the river.

We found this little bar called Jungla Jims. It used to be called Jungle Jims before the fire and floods took it out. Neat little place.

Back at the hotel we were greeted with a big pig roast and a very lively party. had a great time there.

After that we flew to Cabo and stayed here for three days. This was the view from our room.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #89

thanks for the pics!

Looks like the next trip down we will have to do the east coast road.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #90

David K's Tacoma Gallery
There's just SO MUCH BAJA, and SO LITTLE TIME!

Thanks for the photos... must be nice flying in a twin...!?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #91
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There's just SO MUCH BAJA, and SO LITTLE TIME!

Thanks for the photos... must be nice flying in a twin...!?

Yeah, it was a blast flying in that plane. Mine is a Cessna B210H turbo. That one is a lot nicer than mine.
Me and mom shortly after we bought the plane.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #92

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet set of wings! There is a thread on Baja Nomad now (from Capt. Mike) about how the closing of so many dirt strips is really making any flying to Baja very limited, and becoming a thing of the past. The strips are closing because they all must pay a high fee so the military can inspect planes for drug hauling... or because there are so few pilots flying to Baja for vacations... high fees, high fuel, stolen planes, etc. The days of the Baja Bush Pilots and Arnold Senterfitt group trips may be gone forever?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:32 AM   #93
Savior of the Universe
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Great write up!!! Subbed for sure!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #94

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you like it... Baja is a wonderful and unique world destination and it can't get any closer to the United States than it already is, hanging onto California and dipping into the Pacific Ocean!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #95
DesertSand has a spectacular aura aboutDesertSand has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard:
DesertSand's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for sharing your trip and pictures and showing true baja.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #96

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSand View Post
Thank you for sharing your trip and pictures and showing true baja.
My pleasure... Please feel welcome to see my many trip web pages at http://vivabaja.com for hundreds more Baja adventure, off roading, and beach camping photos.

Have an interest in knowing more about the old Spanish missions in Baja California?: http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions